Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Really embarrassing muscles Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello all.

I will start off with some information about myself.
    I am 21, male and have been a lacto vegetarian (no meat, fish or eggs) for all of my life.

I have always found that my muscles, especially my arm muscles are extremely weak. When you feel them, there is literally NOTHING there. I guess its what you imagine a child's arms would be like.

I tried doing some weights today... I tried to curl 5kg dumbells. I was able to do it with my right arm, but my left arm couldn't do one curl without using my entire arm.

In regards to my triceps, don't get my started, they are even weaker.

As for my diet... its not great, its a pretty unhealthy indian diet.

I really don't know what to do. I feel quite hopeless. I feel too embarrassed to go to the gym. Can someone please give me some advice.

thank you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aspiring1)
    Hello all.

I am 21, male and have been a lacto vegetarian (no meat, fish or eggs) for all of my life.

I have always found that my muscles, especially my arm muscles are extremely weak. When you feel them, there is literally NOTHING there. I guess its what you imagine a child's arms would be like.

I tried doing some weights today... I tried to curl 5kg dumbells. I was able to do it with my right arm, but my left arm couldn't do one curl without using my entire arm.

I really don't know what to do. I feel quite hopeless. I feel too embarrassed to go to the gym. Can someone please give me some advice.

thank you.
    How do you expect to grow muscle if you don't eat any protein?

ReputationRep:
    The most important thing to do would be to change your diet.

Read fitness magazines and look online on websites such as mens health and you'll find some pretty good food, health and fitness tips

ReputationRep:
    should I take protein supplements? Can someone please tell me what creatine is?

ReputationRep:
    Don't be embarrassed to go to the gym. I'm sure I can speak for 99% of gym goers that I don't care about anyone else in the gym but myself. There's a wealth of information on the internet on how to build size, it just takes you to try it. Also look at diet.

The typical insult to someone skinny is "Go to the gym", and nobody can say that if you're inside one.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Quit the vegetarianism for starters.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not going to start eating meat. I just want to know is it normal for people who have been vegetarian all of their life to be like this when starting out or is there something especially wrong with me?

ReputationRep:
    Post some pictures bro. Also are you a strict vegetarian?

ReputationRep:
    I'm not going to start eating meat. I just want to know is it normal for people who have been vegetarian all of their life to be like this when starting out or is there something especially wrong with me?
    There's plenty of other vegetarian foods that's packed with protein and essential vitamins. Obviously it's not going to be as protein dense as a salmon fillet, steak or turkey however, it's still possible to be a muscular vegetarian. What kind of Indian foods do you eat? I eat loads of Indian vegetarian dishes (lentils, dal, chick peas, saag etc). Do you eat a lot of ghee, roti and things like that? If so I would avoid those and start eating wholemeal carbohydrates with your protein meals. If you're as skinny as you describe then I would not bother counting calories etc and just eat eat eat (spread your meals throughout the day, never feel hungry). If you want to snack then eat things like hummus, nuts, peanut butter and cottage cheese). Avoid Indian sweets (I know they're delicious) however, they are full of ****. If you eat good foods (use healthy fat oils like Olive oil instead of butter in your Indian dishes) then you should start to grow. Join a decent gym, don't be scared, focus on the compound movements (squat, dead-lift, presses) and eventually adapt a training regime that suits you. Do not use your diet as an excuse, I'm Indian and at 9% bodyfat 75kg, granted I eat meat and use protein supplements/creatine etc however, sometimes I can go for weeks living on Indian food).

Peace brah x

ReputationRep:
    Hello all.

thank you.
    Start by using only your bodyweight, pressups, sit ups, squats etc, you can do a surprising amount like this, until you feel more confident.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinda.college)
    There's plenty of other vegetarian foods that's packed with protein and essential vitamins. Obviously it's not going to be as protein dense as a salmon fillet, steak or turkey however, it's still possible to be a muscular vegetarian. What kind of Indian foods do you eat? I eat loads of Indian vegetarian dishes (lentils, dal, chick peas, saag etc). Do you eat a lot of ghee, roti and things like that? If so I would avoid those and start eating wholemeal carbohydrates with your protein meals. If you're as skinny as you describe then I would not bother counting calories etc and just eat eat eat (spread your meals throughout the day, never feel hungry). If you want to snack then eat things like hummus, nuts, peanut butter and cottage cheese). Avoid Indian sweets (I know they're delicious) however, they are full of ****. If you eat good foods (use healthy fat oils like Olive oil instead of butter in your Indian dishes) then you should start to grow. Join a decent gym, don't be scared, focus on the compound movements (squat, dead-lift, presses) and eventually adapt a training regime that suits you. Do not use your diet as an excuse, I'm Indian and at 9% bodyfat 75kg, granted I eat meat and use protein supplements/creatine etc however, sometimes I can go for weeks living on Indian food).

Peace brah x
    Thanks so much for your help. I'll post a pic real soon. By your name I'm guessing your an apna. Yes I eat an unhealthy indian diet like the one you have described. I will try to start eating more daal, and the things you have said. The problem is I have skinny arms yet a BIG belly, so I am both trying to gain muscle and lose weight (what a great position lol). I am about to post some pics of my very bad state!
    I am thinking of going to the doctor and/or having a few sessions with a personal trainer.

ReputationRep:
    should I take protein supplements? Can someone please tell me what creatine is?
    Dude, your diet is ****. You're not ready for supplements.

As Pinda said above, there are lots of vegetarian bodybuilders. You need to aim for more protein and more calories just like everyone else. Google protein rich foods (legumes will be up there, nuts and stuff too but don't go crazy due to high fat).

ReputationRep:
    Just want to put something out there for the sake of my fellow vegetarians - I don't think that this should be used to demerit vegetarianism, I have plenty of friends that are as strict vegetarians as me yet are HUGE. I am pretty sure mine is to do with health issues and following a very POOR diet. just thought I'd add that lol.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks so much for your help. I'll post a pic real soon. By your name I'm guessing your an apna. Yes I eat an unhealthy indian diet like the one you have described. I will try to start eating more daal, and the things you have said. The problem is I have skinny arms yet a BIG belly, so I am both trying to gain muscle and lose weight (what a great position lol). I am about to post some pics of my very bad state!
    I am thinking of going to the doctor and/or having a few sessions with a personal trainer.
    First thing's first, you cannot gain and lose muscle at the same time bro. To be honest with you a doctor is not needed, we all start from somewhere, I was skinny-fat when I started. I would personally ignore your belly for the time being, there's no point in you blasting out the cardio if you're skinny. I would try and just add mass, a little fat increase is inevitable however, try and strive for lean muscle gains. Yeah yeah I'm apna so I understand your diet problems, do you cook your own food? If someone else makes it do you know whether they use butter or Olive oil? My mum used to cook for me and used butter in everything, once I started training I asked her to stop but she refused because the meals were for everyone in the house. So I started making my own food, Indian food is easy to make (ask your mum to show you and prepare your own meals). Once you get to a decent size, then I would consider cutting off the fat to show your muscle definition.

ReputationRep:
    I've never known anybody to be a vegetarian literally all their life, I'm assuming your parents decided to raise you that way? I don't think it's surprising that you find lifting weights to be difficult if you haven't been getting enough protein all through your development. Ask your huge vegetarian friends how they manage it.

ReputationRep:
    First thing's first, you cannot gain and lose muscle at the same time bro. To be honest with you a doctor is not needed, we all start from somewhere, I was skinny-fat when I started. I would personally ignore your belly for the time being, there's no point in you blasting out the cardio if you're skinny. I would try and just add mass, a little fat increase is inevitable however, try and strive for lean muscle gains. Yeah yeah I'm apna so I understand your diet problems, do you cook your own food? If someone else makes it do you know whether they use butter or Olive oil? My mum used to cook for me and used butter in everything, once I started training I asked her to stop but she refused because the meals were for everyone in the house. So I started making my own food, Indian food is easy to make (ask your mum to show you and prepare your own meals). Once you get to a decent size, then I would consider cutting off the fat to show your muscle definition.
    Thanks.. yeah mum's cooking lol. I think you are right.. I have noticed arms are seriously weaker since I started cutting down.

Here's pics for reference: btw none of it is muscle, its all fat.
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    The vegetarianism/diet probably doesn't help, but at the end of the day some people are just skinny. No there is nothing wrong with you.

Make sure you are getting adequate protein in the diet, work on some bodyweight exercises, but also do try and get to a gym. You will not be the only skinny person there.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks.. yeah mum's cooking lol. I think you are right.. I have noticed arms are seriously weaker since I started cutting down.

Here's pics for reference: btw none of it is muscle, its all fat.
    Are you going to join a gym?

ReputationRep:
    I've lost 2 stone by eating a bit less (reducing portion sizes is a big one) and cutting out snacking, and I eat Asian food in it's full fat glory. You need to up your protein and start lifting some weights. See the stickies for a routine . As a newb you can put on muscle and lose fat for at least several months

ReputationRep:
    Are you going to join a gym?
    Yeah, literally just about to phone to find out prices.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 6, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.