Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've described my "amazing experience" with Glasgow Uni in this thread:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...375&highlight=

Following to this, I have made an official internal complaint, investigation of which after my continuous reminding and nagging has completed with additional award of 10% costs I've paid for "education".

Happily, I was waiting for my refund to be paid... But after waiting for one month, nothing has happened, so I decided to contact university again! Happy reading!

PS I have previously received an initial refund which was processed to my credit card saved in My Campus settings.

PS 2 So far, I still have not received an additional 10% refund.

PS 3 : After reading this: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1193159 I understand that there is a huge corrupt organization built around whole UK higher education system and the only way I can defend myself is to bring awareness to this topic of society.

Sent: 06 March 2013 11:21
    To: MyCampus Accounts Receivable
    Cc: Michael French
    Subject: Additional refund: Student number 2*****

Hello,

My student number is 2*******

I have withdrawn from Glasgow University in November 2012. I was not content with quality of services I have received, therefore, I have made an official complaint which was reviewed by Michael French.

Based on his investigation, he suggested that I'm eligible for additional 10% refund. I would like this money to be transferred to my bank account.

Thanks!

Julia
    ---------------------------
    06.03.2013, 17:50, "Michael French" <[email protected]> :
    Dear Julia
    Thank you for copying me into this email. We are in contact with the Senate Office in order to process the additional refund payment to you. We will confirm payment arrangements.
    best wishes
    Mike
    -----------------------------
    06.03.2013, 17:50, "Michael French" <[email protected]> :
    Dear Julia
    The advice to us from Finance is that at present there are no bank details on My Campus for you so we cannot process a payment for the 10% refund. Do you have your GUID adn password to access My Campus and put in your bank account details? If you do not then we will need to look at an alternative option
    Best wishes
    Mike
    --------------------
    Sent: 06 March 2013 14:11
    To: Michael French
    Subject: Re: Additional refund: Student number 2*****

Dear Michael!

I've logged into my account and it displays successfully all the banking operations which ocurred there previously.

I have paid with my debit card and initital refund has been already processed to this card before on 01/11/2012. I don't understand why it can't be processed to the same debit card again, as you should have all the details saved under my account?

The debit card belongs to the same bank, but if there is for some reason a problem here, I will of course enter my banking details. Should I do this?

Thanks!

BR,
    Julia

-----------------
    06.03.2013, 21:28, "Michael French" <[email protected]> :

Dear Julia

I have been asked to check if you have a UK bank account-don't send me any details, just advise me if you do or not.

Thanks
    Mike
    -----------------------
    Sent: 06 March 2013 17:32
    To: Michael French
    Subject: Re: Additional refund: Student number 2*****

Hi Mike,

The account which is tracked to my student account is Gibraltarian Natwest bank account. Theoretically, Gibraltar is part of UK. But I don't know if in this case it is classified as an English bank account.

BR,
    Julia
    --------------------------------
    07.03.2013, 00:45, "Michael French" <[email protected]> :

Dear Julia
    We've asked Finance and either I or Jeane will come back to you with the advice when we receive it

best
    Mike
    --------------------------
    07.03.2013, 17:35, "Jeane Bonner" <[email protected]>:

Dear Julia,

In order to process your refund can you please complete and return the attached form to me.

Many thanks

Jeane
    --------------------
    Sent: 07 March 2013 15:40
    To: Jeane Bonner
    Subject: Re: refund payment

Hi Jeane!

Here it is.

Thanks in advance!

Julia
    -----------------------
    07.03.2013, 19:41, "Jeane Bonner" <[email protected]>:

Thanks will pass this on immediately Julia.

Please confirm when you receive payment.

Regards

Jeane
    -------------------------------
    07.03.2013, 20:29, "Sarah-Jane Sharp" <[email protected]>:

Dear Ms ********

I have arranged your refund of £600 as stipend to get it to you by the quickest route possible. It should now appear as a refund in you My Campus account and will be the bank account registered with My Campus by next Friday 15th March 2013.

Please contact me if you have any other queries.

S-J

Sarah-Jane Sharp
    Finance Officer

----------------------
    Sent: 18 March 2013 11:10
    To: Sarah-Jane Sharp
    Subject: Re: Julia refund

Hi Sarah-Jane,

Are you sure that you have sent me money correctly?

I still have not received anything and under My Campus account it looks like you have given me refund on 07/03/2013 and then charged it back on 11/03/2013.

Please reply to me asap, as I need this money.

Julia

-----------------------
    18.03.2013, 15:28, "Sarah-Jane Sharp" <[email protected]>:

Dear Julia

No I sent it to you as a stipend, and it has gone to your bank account. I am not sure why it has gone back but I made the payment correctly.

S-J
    ---------------------------------

Sent: 18 March 2013 11:40
    To: Sarah-Jane Sharp
    Subject: Re: Julia refund

Ok, I'll be waiting then...
    -----------------------------

18.03.2013, 15:49, "Sarah-Jane Sharp" <[email protected]>:

Dear Julia

I am going to check anyway given My Campus’s record.

S-J
    -------------------------------------------

19.03.2013, 20:25, "Sarah-Jane Sharp" <[email protected]>:

Dear Julia

I was told on 6/3 that you have not registered your bank details on My Campus and so that is probably why you were not paid.

However I have noticed that this student does not have any bank details on MyCampus therefore the payment would not be refunded. As long as the student still has their GUID and password they can still access the system and input the relevant bank details.

Can you make sure that these details are now on the system.

S-J
    --------------------------------------------------
    21.03.2013, 01:29, Julia:

Dear Sarah-Jane,

Can you make sure that you communicate with other people from your department and your internal procedures are in place?! I have already sent my bank details to you by filling in the form which was sent to me before.

THIS IS VERY ANNOYING!

So my payment has not been processed, nobody informed me and I'm still here waiting for nothing.

Ah, WHAT A HORRENDOUS EXPERIENCE I HAD WITH GLASGOW UNIVERSITY. You can't even process my refund correctly.

it is just ridicoolus. I have no words left. I will resend you the form which I have already filled in and sent you before as per your request.

---------------------

21.03.2013, 01:29, "Sarah-Jane Sharp" <[email protected]>:

Thank you for contacting me, however I am not employedby the University on Fridays and I am now on annual leave until Wednesday 3rd Arpil 2013, so unfortunately I will not be able to reply to your e-mail immediately. If you need to contact anybody about School matters, please contact Theresa Hoare (x 1852) or if it is about purchasing matters please contact Jane Grant (x 4121).

Many thanks for your patience.
    -------------------------
    21.03.2013, 01:32:

As Sarah-Jane is on annual leave until 3rd of April, I have to contact with you again,

Please sort it out asap.

21.03.2013, 13:57, "Jeane Bonner" <[email protected]>:

Dear Julia,

My sincere apologies that you have not yet received your refund. I do understand your frustration. As you noted in your previous email (attached) Sarah Jane is on leave today. She is our finance officer and so has experience of the finance systems in place within the university. However, we will investigate what can be done in her absence and come back to you as soon as possible.

Best wishes

Jeane
    ---------------------------------------------------

21.03.2013, 19:15, "Theresa Hoare" <[email protected]>:

Dear Julia

I have now tracked down where your payment is in the University Finance system. The Foreign Payment template that you completed was sent to the University Finance Office on 7th March but I have discovered that their standard payment terms are 30 days from receipt. I have now requested that they make the payment as soon as possible but in order for this to happen I do need to ask you to return to me the form that you sent to Sarah-Jane with your bank details as I cannot access her emails to obtain this. It is a necessary audit requirement for the Finance Office to be sure that the person to whom the payment is being made did actually provide the banking details and payment cannot be authorised without this.

Regards
    Theresa Hoare
    ----------------------------

21.03.2013, 19:42, "Theresa Hoare" <[email protected]>:

Dear Julia

Please ignore my request for you to re-send the form, we now have it. I will contact you again when I have confirmation of the payment date.

Regards
    Theresa
    --------------------------
    Sent: 26 March 2013 19:21
    To: Theresa Hoare
    Subject: Re: My refund

Hello Theresa!

Any news here? Has payment been processed already?

Thank you!

Julia

-------------------------------
    27.03.2013, 13:32, "Theresa Hoare" <[email protected]>:

Dear Julia

I'm afraid not, the paperwork apparently has to be signed off in the University Finance Office by one particular person, who is away until early next week. I did ask if they could get someone else to deal with it but it seems that is not possible.

Regards
    Theresa
    03.04.2013, 15:09, "Sarah-Jane Sharp" <[email protected]>:

Dear Julia

I am very sorry but I have not received such a form, and no form is attached. Who did you send the form to originally, as I have not received it?

I will contact my campus again to see if they have received these details, otherwise can you attach the document, as it has not come through on this e-mail

Many thanks for your patience.

S-J

Sarah-Jane Sharp
    ---------------------
    03.04.2013, 15:10, "Sarah-Jane Sharp" <[email protected]>:

Dear Julia

Ignore the e-mail I just sent you, as I have found the document, will process.

S-J

------------------

So far I'm waiting.............

ReputationRep:
    I have finally received a refund... So it took me around 3 months overall.

ReputationRep:
    i've been at the university for two years and i've loved every moment of it. i've found the facilities and teaching to be first class.

sorry to hear about your bad experience though. hope things work out for you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LaJuliet)
    I have finally received a refund... So it took me around 3 months overall.
    Yes but your first email beginning the process was sent on the 6th of March (for other readers, see below) . So effectively it took you a month. This includes a period where you left it alone completely for 11 days as well as a gap of 7 days later. Furthermore you were actually extremely rude in these emails.

The final point I would make is that you had not properly set up your banking details and were also trying to get them to transfer money to Gibraltar, you totally ignore the very understandable difficulty this caused.

Sent: 06 March 2013 11:21
    To: MyCampus Accounts Receivable
    Cc: Michael French
    Subject: Additional refund: Student number 2*****

Hello,

My student number is 2*******

I have withdrawn from Glasgow University in November 2012. I was not content with quality of services I have received, therefore, I have made an official complaint which was reviewed by Michael French.

Based on his investigation, he suggested that I'm eligible for additional 10% refund. I would like this money to be transferred to my bank account.

Thanks!

Julia
    In terms of the feeble nonsense you talk about in the post you link to

Thats a pity that I have discovered this thread so late...

I have had "a pleasure" of ending up in Glasgow Uni at Real Estate Msc (Department of Social and Political Sciences) the quality of which was below any standards.

First of all, horrendous room facilities in Uni. Outdated theatre halls, classrooms without tables there students had to write on their laps.

Secondly, non interested and disorganized teaching and uni staff. The quality of materials was very questionable, very basic stuff provided on lections, poor presentations and had no relevance or usage for real life. To back up my words, for one of the core subjects which was called Changing cities and neighborhoods the lecturer put us in obligatory reading the chapter from the book there one researcher have studied the neighborhood and its history from local visitors of one pub which I would rather classify as reading for enterntainment, but not something which should be meant for postgrad degree. The other article was about some studies which researched the influence of amount of gay people in cities to determine the status of attractive city. Again, article with no meaning and zero knowledge delivered. Overall, very poor quality of suggested reading materials, outdated videos. Basically, if you have ever WORKED in an area of your choice and you are not coming fresh directly from undergraduate degree, it is a shocking experience.

On top of this, very few lectures, presentations and hand outs with many mistakes and basically, there was nothing good about this university, apart library. AVOID at all costs. And ignore universities rankings - they are full of non-sense.
    It appears to me that the standard of your written English is poor, so the possibility you simply didn't understand what was required of you cannot be eliminated. Your criticisms of the readings are somewhat difficult to assess, if it was effectively light reading then I would suspect there would be further reading in tutorial notes which took a more rigorous approach to the area. It's also entirely plausible to me that this was introductory reading and you never got to the point in the course where more was required.

Your criticisms of the facilities are manifestly ill founded, why on earth would there be a classroom without tables? It doesn't sound likely as a reader.

Ultimately you are entirely unrepresentative of the Glasgow experience and I think it is unfortunate the university validated you by giving you a discount.
    • PS Helper
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Norton1)
    Ultimately you are entirely unrepresentative of the Glasgow experience and I think it is unfortunate the university validated you by giving you a discount.
    Agreed. It took some time to receive a refund from the university. Why exactly would that put people off Glasgow?

As for the other post - the readings weren't to your standard? Then find readings that you think are better or more relevant. I'd like to know where these "classrooms without tables" are, because I've certainly never been in one of them. Very few presentations and handouts...some lecturers don't prepare presentations at all and speak for an hour. I thought it was pretty obvious that lecturers don't hand everything to you on a plate.

ReputationRep:
    This thread is dumb. You're advising people to refrain from attending a top university because it took you a month to get a refund?

ReputationRep:
    You were so rude in those emails, maybe that's why they took so long.

I've spent 3 years at Glasgow so far, have 1 more undergraduate and several more years postgraduate if I'm lucky enough. I've loved all of it so far, I've been all over campus and have never been in a lecture hall/room without furniture... I've never had a problem with the place, just because you had one bad experience that you can't let go of doesn't mean you should try and poison the minds of prospective students.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    OP, what a *******. Maybe your poor experience was to do with studying a dud degree - not the university. You're basing an argument for people to refrain from going to a top UK university on a delayed refund. Get a grip.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.