The Student Room Group

History Literature Review?

Hi my next piece of coursework is a literature review on history and my hypothesis is: An ethnography of why young men put themselves forward for military service during the first two years of the Great War; up to the 1st July 1916 (Battle of the Somme)

can anyone advise me what sources i can focus on that argue for and against my study? as i am really confused!

Thanks xxx
If its a Literature Review, you dont have to 'argue' anything. That's what an essay or a dissertation does. A Literature Review is exactly what it says - a flowing piece of writing reviewing (describing) the main points of what significant writers have said on the subject.

Go to JStor or Google Scholar (if you dont know what these are, see your tutor). Enter some keywords (enlistment, WW1). Look at the most recent articles/books first. Note who they quote/cite. If a pattern emerges (ie. they all quote several of the same texts/authors) look at those. If you need to dig a bit deeper, then do another Jstor search using different search terms, and also search on each of these significant authors for what other authors have said about them, including review articles of their books. Write a brief summary of the pros and cons of what each author says on the subject. Maximum about 10 different authors (I'm assuming you are an undergrad) across what you've unearthed that is relevant to your title. That is a Literature Review.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending