Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I'm trying to use Newton's Law of Gravitation to find out the mass of Jupiter.

g=GMm/r²

The only information I have been given is:

G = 6.67 * 10^-11
    g = 27 Nkg^-1
    Radius of Jupiter = 704 * 10^6

Do I use the Sun to try and work this out? :confused:

Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abblecrumble)
    Hi! I'm trying to use Newton's Law of Gravitation to find out the mass of Jupiter.

g=GMm/r²

G = 6.67 * 10^-11
    g = 27 Nkg^-1

Thank you!
    F=GMm/r2 the unit for F is Newtons.
    The radius of Jupiter you've been given is incorrect (assuming that's metres) https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ra...ient=firefox-a
    You could use any object you like to work this out, but I'm not sure that the question being posed is correct...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abblecrumble)

g=GMm/r²

G = 6.67 * 10^-11
    g = 27 Nkg^-1

Thank you!
    Careful there, F = \frac{GMm}{r^2} and g = \frac{F}{m} = \frac{GM}{r^2}.

You do not need another object to work out the mass of Jupiter from the information given because the gravitational field strength g only depends on the mass of Jupiter and the distance from its centre of gravity.

And yeah, that radius is a bit big. It should be more like 7 \times 10^7 metres.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, there was a mistake with the radius! I've solved it now. Thanks for your help.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.