The Student Room Group

Aqa economics unit 2 (Econ 2) exam on 17th of may

Hey guys has any of you started to revise for the exam and what are the tips and we should know

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Taffie
Hey guys has any of you started to revise for the exam and what are the tips and we should know

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've started revising. I find Unit 2 written questions quite easy, as it's common sense - i.e. increase taxes make people poorer, so less consumption etc. The multiple choice are hard though.

I have lots of Economics AS level tutorials which you can revise from here - http://www.youtube.com/user/multiplexinggamer :smile:
Has anyone's teachers predicted on what might come up? Its more the mark scheme that needs to be learned so you can figure out what needs doing. Last year I wasted a lot of time writing a load of rubbish I probably didn't get marks for. You'll be surprised how one sentence gets you the 5 marker. And how just stating 'one factor' i.e: depreciation of the pound: will get you just 2 marks alone. This year is a resit. Its more the application I worry out the outside knowledge like in Unit 1 I talked about the Keynes approach vs the Hayek approach and I came out with an A, it just gets you better marks in the application AO. So if anyone has a rough idea it would be great to know. Say it was interest rates related you just remember a few figures of the latest rates and so on to help you out.
Reply 3
Original post by adeleharris
Has anyone's teachers predicted on what might come up? Its more the mark scheme that needs to be learned so you can figure out what needs doing. Last year I wasted a lot of time writing a load of rubbish I probably didn't get marks for. You'll be surprised how one sentence gets you the 5 marker. And how just stating 'one factor' i.e: depreciation of the pound: will get you just 2 marks alone. This year is a resit. Its more the application I worry out the outside knowledge like in Unit 1 I talked about the Keynes approach vs the Hayek approach and I came out with an A, it just gets you better marks in the application AO. So if anyone has a rough idea it would be great to know. Say it was interest rates related you just remember a few figures of the latest rates and so on to help you out.

Are you doing Aqa and weren't you going off topic talking about Keynesian in Unit 1 and I will update you if I here anything about what's going to come up

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Alex-Torres
I've started revising. I find Unit 2 written questions quite easy, as it's common sense - i.e. increase taxes make people poorer, so less consumption etc. The multiple choice are hard though.

I have lots of Economics AS level tutorials which you can revise from here - http://www.youtube.com/user/multiplexinggamer :smile:

Thanks a lot that helped but you need learn more about the policies and economic objectives

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Taffie
Are you doing Aqa and weren't you going off topic talking about Keynesian in Unit 1 and I will update you if I here anything about what's going to come up

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes I am doing aqa. Well if I remember correctly unit 1 has a lot about the free market vs government spending, Keynes believed in government spending especially on education and food related issues as Hayek agreed with the free makert in bringing about economic growth. In unit 1 jan 2013 it was kind of a plus that the extract was food related and the 25marker was free market vs gov spending. It was luck really that I happened to remember. It shows your 'ecknomic knowledge'.

For example in unit2 or unit4 I am really hoping for interest rates to come up as I'd get to use the great evaluative point that although the uk have had a very low interest rate of 0.5 since 2008 (of the top of my head I think those figures are right) we still are not economically growing enough as hoped and are heading towards a triple dip recession
Reply 6
has anyone got an idea of the type of question
Reply 7
Original post by Taffie
has anyone got an idea of the type of question

which type, data or multiple choice ? :smile:
Original post by BC95
which type, data or multiple choice ? :smile:

I think he means either the 12 mark question or more likely the 25 mark essay ...

I am revising all topics : but any idea/prediction what could be a 25 mark question on ECON2 and possibly even ECON1 thanks.

Cheers :cool:
Reply 9
Original post by Tha Realest
I think he means either the 12 mark question or more likely the 25 mark essay ...

I am revising all topics : but any idea/prediction what could be a 25 mark question on ECON2 and possibly even ECON1 thanks.

Cheers :cool:

I honestly don't like trying to predict what will come up. But if I had to make an informed guess examiners often like to give a question that require the candidate to evaluate alternative policies in trying to achieve a macro-economic objective. E.g. evaluating supply-side against demand-side in achieving economic growth
AQA June 2013 Unit 1 guess: Agriculture has not come up (e.g indirect way to hint buffer stocks)

I tried to guess last summer and paid the price by having to retake in January. All I can say is DO NOT leave any stone unturned.

Otherwise you'll be revising the same content next summer. Don't risk it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
I don't understand about the current accounts what is that all about

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Does anyone have any advice on how to incorporate the data into answers. I got A in unit E unit 2 and A in unit 3 lol. But im finding the multiple choice and ABC relatively straight forward its just the part D. I normally start with 2 definitions and try to elaborate on things already in the data as your maximum mark is 21 without data reference. How do people normally do the 25 marker after the introductions. Do you talk about your main argument and try to back it up with data and diagrams or rather try and elaborate on the data provided in the extract
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2347656

need serious help for this exam!! ^^ please see my thread :smile:
Original post by Alex-Torres

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2347656

need serious help for this exam!! ^^ please see my thread :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by Lay-Z
Does anyone have any advice on how to incorporate the data into answers. I got A in unit E unit 2 and A in unit 3 lol. But im finding the multiple choice and ABC relatively straight forward its just the part D. I normally start with 2 definitions and try to elaborate on things already in the data as your maximum mark is 21 without data reference. How do people normally do the 25 marker after the introductions. Do you talk about your main argument and try to back it up with data and diagrams or rather try and elaborate on the data provided in the extract

The 25 marker I always try to do:

An opening paragraph with any relevant definitions in (don't spend too long on this, 2 or 3 would be fine)

Then 2 or 3 paragraphs with the 'points' in, and 1 or 2 graphs to go along with them. Also make sure you quote the extract at some point in here.

Then a final evaluating paragraph, i.e which policies I think would work/not work and what their successes/failures would depend on.

-

The key to getting high marks is the evaluation. Your analysis could be exceptional but if your evaluation is poor then you'll still score low marks.

Not sure if that was what you were asking but oh well :P
Reply 16
Original post by stirkee
The 25 marker I always try to do:

An opening paragraph with any relevant definitions in (don't spend too long on this, 2 or 3 would be fine)

Then 2 or 3 paragraphs with the 'points' in, and 1 or 2 graphs to go along with them. Also make sure you quote the extract at some point in here.

Then a final evaluating paragraph, i.e which policies I think would work/not work and what their successes/failures would depend on.

-

The key to getting high marks is the evaluation. Your analysis could be exceptional but if your evaluation is poor then you'll still score low marks.

Not sure if that was what you were asking but oh well :P

yeah i've tried a new format now.
Definitions, examples maybe graph & uk's position
Point back up with quote then applying it to uk then evaluation
then conclusion

Sometimes theres so much to include, supplyside-demandside longrun-shortrun etc normally i start part d after 35 minutes so I have extra time
Reply 17
Original post by Lay-Z
yeah i've tried a new format now.
Definitions, examples maybe graph & uk's position
Point back up with quote then applying it to uk then evaluation
then conclusion

Sometimes theres so much to include, supplyside-demandside longrun-shortrun etc normally i start part d after 35 minutes so I have extra time

Yeah I try to give myself as much time as well- but remember that things like the definition and the one where you comment on the graph/table don't actually take 5 and 8 minutes so I always grab some time from them.

But yeah there's loads to include and often in the question you can find yourself almost going in circles as everything seems to link together!
Is there any links for key words which need to be learnt - unit 2
What is likely to come up for unit 2?

Any predictions?

Quick Reply

Latest