Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Leaving home for uni/applying for SAAS watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey there,

I'm a student in my last year of college. I've recently applied through UCAS, and received several conditional offers from universities to study Architectural Studies, and have since confirmed both my firm and insurance offer, and decided right about now would be a good time to start organising arrangements for funds, etc.

Presently, I'm living with my parents and have a part time job. However, with uni approaching, I've taken the decision to move out in time for the start of the academic year and rent accommodation. I intend to apply through SAAS for tuition fees, a student loan (to cover accommodation) and a bursary, if possible. No doubt more questions will arise as time goes on, but as it stands, I have two questions.

1) When registering with SAAS (and in any other applications afterwards), when asking for my home address, what should I state? My parents house I'm living in now? If I'm planning on moving out to find my own accommodation, won't this affect my application?

2) Should an application be successful, when would SAAS be available to me to pay for accommodation, and as a result, when would it be possible to apply for accommodation, and should I be able to apply, when would it be possible to move?

Thanks in advance for any help.

ReputationRep:
    For those of you who are interested, I emailed SAAS regarding the matter, and this is the reply I received.

Thank you for your email.

You would put your parents address as your home address, there is an option for term-time accommodation further on in the application process which you would select so that you receive the higher rate of loan for living out with the parental home. When you receive your award depends on when we receive your application. If you apply as early as possible and include your parents income details and all other relevant documents your funding should be in place for you starting your course. You would receive a double payment on the first day of your course and then on the 7th of the month for the remainder of the year.
    Your university deal with the accommodation and applications, I would also recommend putting your application in as soon as possible for this.

Regards
    While I'm still dubious as to whether I should state my parents address and income, I'm going to follow what's been said. After all, I might just be a cynic.

I hope this might help anyone else in a similar situation.

ReputationRep:
    It is essential that you put your parents income. Unless you've lived away from home without parental support for four years, your loan is based off of their income. You can be done for fraud if you don't put it down. Apply for SAAS as soon as possible, there should be a date on the site that says if you apply before it, you are guaranteed your award letter before the start of your course. If you put it off, or don't fill it out completely, you could end up going months without any funding, it's happened to a few of my friends this year, and it's a real struggle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by catchingROBYNN)
    It is essential that you put your parents income. Unless you've lived away from home without parental support for four years, your loan is based off of their income. You can be done for fraud if you don't put it down. Apply for SAAS as soon as possible, there should be a date on the site that says if you apply before it, you are guaranteed your award letter before the start of your course. If you put it off, or don't fill it out completely, you could end up going months without any funding, it's happened to a few of my friends this year, and it's a real struggle.
    You don't need to put it down- I've not put my parents income down for the past 2 years- but that means I only get the minimum loan available (£915 a year). I'd get that regardless of whether I put their income down or not though, so I just went through the process and skipped that bit

You only need to put it down if you want more than the minimum

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 13, 2013
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Articles

Official student finance zone

Quick Link

Unanswered SAAS Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.