Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am almost 23 and have been living away from home since I turned 19. I have been living in two different countries, both different than my parents.
    My stepfather is retired and my mum works part time, which she has pretty much her whole life.
    We have naturally drifted apart over the past years, but in particular the last 6 months. Part of the reason for it is that my mum is such a chronic worrier that I have felt the need to keep my distance. She is bordering on manic depressive and find ways to blame me and my sister for it. She is always on my case even though I'm quite a well behaved daughter.

Now she wants to come visit me in London and she's coming in a couple of weeks. She's already constantly emailing ("did you see my last email??") and it's driving me nuts. As much as I care about her, the weekend is something I kind of just want to get over with.
    I really envy girls who seem to have great relationships with their mothers. One of my closest friends can talk to her mother about everything (my mother is such a prude and never had "the talk" with me, there is no way I can tell her anything about the guy I am dating and sleeping with), another speaks to her mother regularly and when she comes to the country to visit, they always have a great time. My entire house has a slight "tense" mood, nobody's ever raised their voice or dealt with personal issues. My parents are ridiculously judgmental and obsessed with my education, to the point where they are always trying to influence me. I would love to be close to them, but can feel myself drifting and I see no other option. The guy I'm dating goes on holiday with family and he can even meet friends on a skiing holiday and get drunk in front of them.

Anyone else have a similar relationship with their parents, or mother in particular?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Millie228)

Anyone else have a similar relationship with their parents, or mother in particular?
    I'm sorry to hear about your relationship with your Mum :hugs:

I am really close to my Mum (and Grandma), I would like to think that we are like friends rather than mother and daughter. I speak to them just about everyday (I'm married but like about a block away from my childhood home).

ReputationRep:
    Yes, except that instead of tense silence there's a lot of screaming. I live 20 mins drive from my family and still rarely see them, at Christmas it was so unbearable that I couldn't spend 2 nights in their house. In spite of the very VERY difficult relationship me and my Mother have, I see how other parents act like friends and often they lack the respect of their child, sometimes it's dangerous and I have a parent figure.

ReputationRep:
    not sure if I really count as a 20 something as someone who actually is 20 and still live with my parents for half of the year. but when I'm away I usually text each of them a few times a week, actually talk on the phone very rarely though.

ReputationRep:
    I'm back living with my mother after seven years of living on my own, but prior to moving back in, I had to speak to her everyday. If I didn't phone at least once a day then I was dead as far as she was concerned. My sister lives on her own and my mum is always harassing her for attention. Endless phone calls, texts and demands to meet.

It's annoying, but I couldn't be one of those people who doesn't speak to their parents for months. My dad and I haven't spoken in ten years though. He stopped contacting me the minute I turned 16 and tells people that it is me who has 'not bothered' with him. Neither of us will back down. I Don't really care anymore.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bazlehman)
    I'm back living with my mother after seven years of living on my own, but prior to moving back in, I had to speak to her everyday. If I didn't phone at least once a day then I was dead as far as she was concerned. My sister lives on her own and my mum is always harassing her for attention. Endless phone calls, texts and demands to meet.

It's annoying, but I couldn't be one of those people who doesn't speak to their parents for months. My dad and I haven't spoken in ten years though. He stopped contacting me the minute I turned 16 and tells people that it is me who has 'not bothered' with him. Neither of us will back down. I Don't really care anymore.
    Your mum sounds like she's got empty nest syndrome! I understand that you don't want to upset her, but you can't keep calling and texting every day forever. Once you're working and have a family, it just won't work.

I used to have 3-hour family dinners with my parents every day when I was living at home. I also believed everything they said and cared so much about their opinion. It's just recently I've started figuring out that I need to do what's right for me.

ReputationRep:
    Me and my mum don't get on so we rarely talk, about once a month if you're lucky and usually its my accident like if she picks up my gran's phone.

I've never spoke to my dad.

I see my gran and papa like my true parents and I phone them every day without fail. Usually twice a day.

ReputationRep:
    I'm 22 and still at uni so I do still live at home over the summer but my mum and I text pretty much everyday while I'm away.

ReputationRep:
    I live with my parents at the moment as I'm trying to get a flat of my own, but when I wasn't living with them I spoke to them every day. Not always on the phone, sometimes via text, email, Facebook etc, but there would be at least some kind of contact every day.

I've always been really close to my parents, Mum especially, and I miss her a lot when I'm not at home. Quite pathetic probably, but there we go.

ReputationRep:
    I guess I speak to my mum normally once a week and my dad maybe once every couple of weeks.

ReputationRep:
    I talk to my mum daily. My dad only one every two weeks or so.

ReputationRep:
    I get on fine with my parents, sure they've got their failings but I still love them and can relate to them. When I'm at uni I won't talk to them much though, simply because I'm too busy with work and there's nothing really to talk about.

I don't really have much of a relationship with my grandparents though, from either parent.

ReputationRep:
    I'm 23 and my Mum left my Dad one year ago. I see my dad all the time, at least once a week - usually 2-3 times. I very rarely see my mum as she is always busy and feel she has no time for me or my brother. I am still finding it very hard to forgive her for leaving dad.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm 20 and I talk to my mum everyday on the phone and text even though we don't get on when I'm at home. We get on much better when I'm at uni and she genuinely seems to like me more when I'm going back, which is a bit of a shame really. I don't speak to my dad much at all at uni, maybe the odd text every few weeks. I text my grandma/grandad everyday as well.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 19, 2013
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.