Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Wasn't sure which subforum to post this in so I posted here.

I am currently writing my final year project, backing-up is essential as always! I have a main copy on my computer hard drive which is the one I mainly work on, with back-ups on my external hard drive and USB drive which I use to work on whilst away from my computer.

I'm looking for free software that will allow me to work on a copy of the dissertation and automatically update the back-up copies when I click save and close the file. Rather than having to delete the "old" back-ups and save a new copy in their place.

Can anyone suggest a programme that can do this for me?

I guess its kind of like using my Dropbox folder, but taking away the cloud storage aspect.

I have spent time looking online for something, the closest I have found is "GoodSync" but it doesn't seem to be doing what I want.

Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    So it's not really a backup that you want (one way sync), it's two copies that both get worked on and need to be synced both ways.

SyncToy does that, just be careful not to modify both copies before syncing or you'll lose whichever changes were less recent.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/downl....aspx?id=15155

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TRENDY_TURBAN)
    So it's not really a backup that you want (one way sync), it's two copies that both get worked on and need to be synced both ways.

SyncToy does that, just be careful not to modify both copies before syncing or you'll lose whichever changes were less recent.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/downl....aspx?id=15155
    That's great, thank you.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 4, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.