Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've noticed it for a while but I didn't pay it much attention. I've been doing some reading into the effects of malnutrition and so on and I feel like I might be damaging my body really bad. I normally tend to only eat twice a day and this tends to be junk food the majority of time. Like in the morning cereal tends to a constant choice, whereas evenings vary but I would say the most common thing I eat is ramen. I've only just noticed that one of the cuts I got still hasn't healed after 2/3 weeks it's still a scab - this is a tiny cut were talking about. So could someone just explain what other possible symptoms are possible? Cause I plan on changing my whole approach to food. I'm diabetic, neither am I go for a figuring or something like that. I just don't tend to focus too much on what I eat.

EDIT: I'm not diabetic. I forgot to add the 'not'.

ReputationRep:
    I have to be careful with what I eat. My general method of making sure I eat what I should before attacking the chocolates/crisps etc is by not allowing myself to eat any junk food until I've eaten all 5 portions of fruit and veg per day. Also my doctor told me that if you have a glass of fruit juice with cereal (not the chocolately stuff) then you can absorb more nutrients from the cereal.

Cuts taking a lot of time to heal can be a symptom of a lot of things and could even be related to your diabetes. Its also a common symptom of stress (because the bodys stress response suppresses the immune system). Whether its stress or bad eating habits you should make sure you are eating a lot of vitamin A,C and D and try eating fish (not the battered kind but the fresh stuff or shell fish) once or twice a week.

If you cook for yourself and find it boring, what I do is cook for 3 days, but make enough for 3 meals in every meal, then freeze it. That way you have 6 days that you don't have to cook. You can add vegetables to some recipes quite easily, like add sweetcorn and onion or maybe even some mushrooms or aubergine to your spag bol or lasagne. If you are cooking veg as a side dish, be sure not to over boil it, it should still be relatively crunchy, that way you save a lot of the vitamins from being damaged. You can check the slimming world website for some really yummy recipes and most are pretty simple. Another important thing is make sure you are drinking enough water (that's about 2 litres per day). I have a jug in my room and I know I have to drink 2.5x that amount to reach my healthy amount.

As for your question about symptoms... well that really depends on the specific vitamins you are lacking. But a general feeling of being unwell, trouble going to the bath room and constantly feeling tired are common symptoms.

ReputationRep:
    Unsure on whether you lift or not (no reference to "do u even lift bro?" joke) so I am going to do a general list on what you need to make you feel so much better.

Your diet is 70% of your life, the other 30% is drinking. Firstly, you want to plan your diet out completely so you know what macro-nutrients you are getting in you every day and compare them to the general advice given by doctors using either your own GP or the internet.

Personally, supplementation will help you here if you struggle to eat well. Id get yourself some multi-vitamins as they provide your body with everything it needs to run efficiently. Another supplement is omega-3 which is the essential fatty acids needed in your body.

My main advice to you is think about what the stuff you put into or dont put into your body is doing to you and get the "mind-body" connection with yourself and if your diet is that bad, you will be disgusted with yourself.

Just do your research and it will serve you well for the great future!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scotty Bear)
    I have to be careful with what I eat. My general method of making sure I eat what I should before attacking the chocolates/crisps etc is by not allowing myself to eat any junk food until I've eaten all 5 portions of fruit and veg per day. Also my doctor told me that if you have a glass of fruit juice with cereal (not the chocolately stuff) then you can absorb more nutrients from the cereal.

Cuts taking a lot of time to heal can be a symptom of a lot of things and could even be related to your diabetes. Its also a common symptom of stress (because the bodys stress response suppresses the immune system). Whether its stress or bad eating habits you should make sure you are eating a lot of vitamin A,C and D and try eating fish (not the battered kind but the fresh stuff or shell fish) once or twice a week.

If you cook for yourself and find it boring, what I do is cook for 3 days, but make enough for 3 meals in every meal, then freeze it. That way you have 6 days that you don't have to cook. You can add vegetables to some recipes quite easily, like add sweetcorn and onion or maybe even some mushrooms or aubergine to your spag bol or lasagne. If you are cooking veg as a side dish, be sure not to over boil it, it should still be relatively crunchy, that way you save a lot of the vitamins from being damaged. You can check the slimming world website for some really yummy recipes and most are pretty simple. Another important thing is make sure you are drinking enough water (that's about 2 litres per day). I have a jug in my room and I know I have to drink 2.5x that amount to reach my healthy amount.

As for your question about symptoms... well that really depends on the specific vitamins you are lacking. But a general feeling of being unwell, trouble going to the bath room and constantly feeling tired are common symptoms.
    I'm not diabetic, I forgot to include the not. Which is why I was worried about wounds not healing quickly. I'm sure water is not the problem, I consume more of that then I do food lol. Just a habit i've always had since I was younger. I wouldn't mind forming a a food schedule but do you think if I just ate meat and vegetables that would be good enough? I could vary it with fish and and consume fruits as a snake. Would that be good enough? in terms of like the right amount of food. I'm gonna do more searching up soon.

(Original post by NathanW)
    Unsure on whether you lift or not (no reference to "do u even lift bro?" joke) so I am going to do a general list on what you need to make you feel so much better.

Your diet is 70% of your life, the other 30% is drinking. Firstly, you want to plan your diet out completely so you know what macro-nutrients you are getting in you every day and compare them to the general advice given by doctors using either your own GP or the internet.

Personally, supplementation will help you here if you struggle to eat well. Id get yourself some multi-vitamins as they provide your body with everything it needs to run efficiently. Another supplement is omega-3 which is the essential fatty acids needed in your body.

My main advice to you is think about what the stuff you put into or dont put into your body is doing to you and get the "mind-body" connection with yourself and if your diet is that bad, you will be disgusted with yourself.

Just do your research and it will serve you well for the great future!
    I workout monday,wednesday,friday. It's pretty much 3 sets of push ups, lunges, sit ups and chin ups. Tuesday and thursday I run/walk as much as I can - for the walking I do about 6 miles. This was just all for the purposes of staying healthy. as for the omega-3 vitamin things I've heard of them, do you think there are any side effects to using stuff like that? if not I'll probably start getting them. I've come across that mind-body view, i'm starting to believe more and more in that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sesshomaru24U)
    I'm not diabetic, I forgot to include the not. Which is why I was worried about wounds not healing quickly. I'm sure water is not the problem, I consume more of that then I do food lol. Just a habit i've always had since I was younger. I wouldn't mind forming a a food schedule but do you think if I just ate meat and vegetables that would be good enough? I could vary it with fish and and consume fruits as a snake. Would that be good enough? in terms of like the right amount of food. I'm gonna do more searching up soon.

I workout monday,wednesday,friday. It's pretty much 3 sets of push ups, lunges, sit ups and chin ups. Tuesday and thursday I run/walk as much as I can - for the walking I do about 6 miles. This was just all for the purposes of staying healthy. as for the omega-3 vitamin things I've heard of them, do you think there are any side effects to using stuff like that? if not I'll probably start getting them. I've come across that mind-body view, i'm starting to believe more and more in that.
    Erm no omega 3 is fishy oils that is present in well, fish. All of what I've recommend (multi-vitamins and omega3) are natural nutrients but the supplements help you get them in your body if you cannot get them in your food.

as for your workouts, that's fine for general health and fitness purpose, but if you're doing these no matter how strenuous, you're asking your body to work and breakdown muscle. This has to be repaired and what you put into your body determines how well it is repaired. Keep up the fitness programme as for fitness purposes, it's good for a healthy lifestyle, now you've just got your diet to sort out (:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sesshomaru24U)

You also need carbs as well. You should vary it between rice pasta and potatoes. You shouldn't cut out all the good stuff like sweets chocolate and beer, because then later on when you start eating/drinking again it will have negative effects, but just limit it to definately no more than one of the three a day (Although the alcohol you should definately avoid until you are feeling healthy). Good idea with varying between fish and meat, that way you will definately get all the proteins you need. You should also vary between red and white meet (so beef and lamb vs chicken and pork). Try and eat dark leafy vegetables at least 3 times a week (broccoli, brussel sprouts, spinach etc). Good luck

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered nutrition and supplements threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.