Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone!

Mainly just posting this thread for advice and suggestions and suchlike. My work experience thus far (not completed all yet, but will have by the time I apply to D100) is:

- 2 weeks farm work (mostly poultry and pigs cleaning and feeding and egg grading), should be doing a few days lambing next week too!
    - 6 weeks small animal vets
    - 1 week mixed vets
    - 1 week kennels
    - 6 months stables (1 day a week)
    - 1 year charity dog walking (1 day a week)
    - 3 weeks zoo/wildlife park

So does anyone have suggestions/opinions as to what other experience I need more of?

If anyone knows of any farms (dairy or otherwise) in Hertfordshire or ones further afield that offer accommodation and food in return for labour, it would be great to know about them. Also any other animal establishments, eg kennels would be great to hear about, though my main issue is transport as I can only use public transport to get to my placements.

I'm also taking a gap year and hopefully getting a pet shop job come September, then raising the funds to go and volunteer at a wildlife sanctuary and a game reserve in South Africa, though that's for personal desire rather than work experience, but I thought I'd mention it.

Anyway, as I said, basically any advice or suggestions are very appreciated! Thanks guys!
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Helper
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    PS Helper
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Silverwolf)
    Hi everyone!

Mainly just posting this thread for advice and suggestions and suchlike. My work experience thus far (not completed all yet, but will have by the time I apply to D100) is:

- 2 weeks farm work (mostly poultry and pigs cleaning and feeding and egg grading so far, hopefully will be able to do some lambing soon) [I have plucked slaughtered chickens as well and I was wondering if this counted as abbattoir-type work? I watched the killing and when they were put in the plucking machine before finishing off the plucking by hand myself]Yes this counts as abbatoir style work . Its just in an independant chicken place.
    - 6 weeks small animal vets
    - 1 week mixed vets
    - 1 week kennels
    - 6 months stables (1 day a week)
    - 1 year charity dog walking This can't really be counted as work experience but is something extra for your personal statement .
    - 3 weeks zoo/wildlife park

So does anyone have suggestions/opinions as to what other experience I need more of? I know I lack in dairy experience but the farm I'm at currently has a few cattle that hopefully I can care for a little before I go. I'd also like some more kennel/cattery experience too.
    Stable farm experience, so rather than being at a mixed farm maybe go for something solid like indoor/outdoor pigs, lambing or pure beef herd or something .

If anyone knows of any farms (dairy or otherwise) in Hertfordshire or ones further afield that offer accommodation and food in return for labour, it would be great to know about them. Also any other animal establishments, eg kennels would be great to hear about, though my main issue is transport as I can only use public transport to get to my placements.Use a bicycle too

I'm also taking a gap year and hopefully getting a pet shop job come September, then raising the funds to go and volunteer at a wildlife sanctuary and a game reserve in South Africa, though that's for personal desire rather than work experience, but I thought I'd mention it.This can also count as work experience

Anyway, as I said, basically any advice or suggestions are very appreciated! Thanks guys!
    Sounds like you've got it figured out. You could do more mixed animal vet work perhaps but only as a suggestion. Unis also like to see lab work (even human labs count) and just get anything diverse It all counts . Your pet shop job will count too if its working with animals at all.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.