Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, im confused and worried as to whether i should study a games art degree or a fine art degree. this is because many games art studios are closing just wondering whether anyone can offer any advice.

ReputationRep:
    It depends on whether you are looking for a degree that has a career path associated with it, or whether you just need to express your inner artist and create things. How important is it for you to get a job in a creative industry at the end of your degree? Yes some games studios have closed, but overall the games industry in the UK remains strong - plenty of my graduates have been hired this year to the games industry. The issue is (if you decide that games is your future) how to get into one of the tiny handful of courses in the UK that actually train students to professional level in this field. Obviously if you take the Fine Art route it's probably more useful to ensure you go somewhere famous so you can network and gain contacts - I suppose it all boils down to whether you can work as part of a team on a project and create what you are told to do (with the bonus of a steady wage) versus whether you need complete creative freedom to make whatever you want in life (but probably without the wages).

I studied Fine Art for a degree (a long, long time ago) and only discovered that I wanted to work in Games Art at the end of that period, and my Fine Art course did not prepare me for that career path at all (which is understandable, they are very different things) and I spent two years after my degree teaching myself the digital skills required to get hired in games. I didn't know (at the age of 18/19) that I wanted to be a Games Artist; if I had done so, I definitely would've chosen a different degree.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.