Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Contact lenses are going dry whilst in my eyes Watch

ReputationRep:
    I started wearing contact lenses last week and i'm on a two week trial for them. I've noticed as I've started wearing them longer that they are becoming dry and I notice this whilst they're in my eyes and the lens feels dry when I take it out. I find this effects some of my vision - especially near vision. (i'm short sighted)
    Any advice?

ReputationRep:
    Glasses?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Exotica-xo)
    Glasses?
    Tried them and hated them i'd love to stick to contacts if I didn't have that issue tbf.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by annarchy.)
    I started wearing contact lenses last week and i'm on a two week trial for them. I've noticed as I've started wearing them longer that they are becoming dry and I notice this whilst they're in my eyes and the lens feels dry when I take it out. I find this effects some of my vision - especially near vision. (i'm short sighted)
    Any advice?
    Tell you optician and he/she will provide you with some more water based ones. There are so many types of lenses, so perhaps this one isn't suitable for you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L1000)
    Tell you optician and he/she will provide you with some more water based ones. There are so many types of lenses, so perhaps this one isn't suitable for you
    Okay, thank you lovely

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by annarchy.)
    Okay, thank you lovely
    No problem but for the moment you should probably take them out and wear glasses for the time being.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L1000)
    No problem but for the moment you should probably take them out and wear glasses for the time being.
    Yeahh, I have done +1 for help

ReputationRep:
    You can also buy contact solutions, so when they start to feel dry you just take them out put some solution on them and then put them straight back in, that should help a bit. But i would suggest trying another brand of contact lenses as that's a lot less hassle

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarahiscool)
    You can also buy contact solutions, so when they start to feel dry you just take them out put some solution on them and then put them straight back in, that should help a bit. But i would suggest trying another brand of contact lenses as that's a lot less hassle
    Yeah thats what I did before, but this tends to happen at night so i'm wondering if its just my eyes being tired and lacking moisture?

ReputationRep:
    You can use eye drops/spray. They're really good but can be costly. Also, make sure you're not wearing them for too long, that normally dries my eyes out. Other than that, you're on a trial anyway so just tell the optician what's happening and hopefully they'll be able to find something that suits you better.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You can use hylocomode/wet-comode/fresh-comode drops to precent the dry eyes.
    Make sure you drink enough water and that you don't take medication that dries your eyes (like certain BC pills and anti-depressants).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kathy89)
    You can use hylocomode/wet-comode/fresh-comode drops to precent the dry eyes.
    Make sure you drink enough water and that you don't take medication that dries your eyes (like certain BC pills and anti-depressants).
    BC pills dry your eyes out?

ReputationRep:
    Just putting it out there, girls with glasses are hot.

Other than that, so many different types of lenses, most basic divider monthlies or dailies. And they can make a huge difference.

ReputationRep:
    Blinking more often helps too - I found when I first started wearing them my vision wasn't very good. Turned out having worn glasses for many years I blinked a lot less than usual, and blinking is the thing that keeps the contacts moist (hence with soft - which im assuming yours are) require a constant amount of blinking to work. So although the above solutions are better, try blinking more often and see if that helps.

ReputationRep:
    Im 20 and have had contact lenses for 5 years now.

I wear dailys (so i bin them when i take them out).

First off - They are not designed to be in youre eyes forever. As I type this mine are hurting now because I have had them in since i woke up this morning. They are designed for 6-10 hours max really. They wont do a great deal of harm, but you do need some rest for youre eyes. My eyes feel so relieved when i take them out on a night.

Secondly - I imainge if you are a student and the fact youre complaining about it on the night, its probably because youre sitting in the dark staring at a bright screen typing all night. Screens arent great for contacts! Tip - look away from youre screen every now and again and blink a few times to create some moisture.

Finally - Contact lenses are great! But they do have there flaws. Dont leave them in overnight, this can be dangerous! and trust me when you have had them for a while, you will start forgetting!

Hope I cleared a couple of things up.

Oh btw, just to clarify you dont have a 'problem' and you are not alone. There is nothing wrong with youre eyes they arent 'allergic' to lenses. Basically its the same for everyone you just learn to put up with it.

ReputationRep:
    One last thing... you wont find something that 'suits you better'. there are lots of different type of lenses, but it doesnt mean you can leave them in for hours on end staring at bright screens and not get sore eyes. they all dry out eventually, hence why you put dailys in the bin and monthlys in some solution.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wa'gwarn)
    One last thing... you wont find something that 'suits you better'. there are lots of different type of lenses, but it doesnt mean you can leave them in for hours on end staring at bright screens and not get sore eyes. they all dry out eventually, hence why you put dailys in the bin and monthlys in some solution.
    yeah, I had them in for around 6 hours yesterday however I always put a light on when im on the computer :P but I'll look away now and again so thanks for the advice

ReputationRep:
    When I started wearing contact lenses, my eyes got dry fairly quickly! When they got dry, I just took them out and then the next day, I wore them for a little longer. Now I can wear them all day if they're monthly ones, make sure you wash them properly and don't fall asleep in them, since it's dangerous and when you wake up, it hurts so much!

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9300

ReputationRep:
    Sign that you may be wearing them too much. 12+ hours and they'll start to get dry and itchy. Wear glasses when you can.

ReputationRep:
    I started wearing contacts about 2 weeks ago.

At first after 4 hours my eyes were so dry when I took them out.

I extended this gradually and now I go to school with them over 8 hours, and sometimes don't take them out for over 15 hours.

You'll get used to it.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 13, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.