Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    What are peoples opinions on dying your hair? (Not eccentric colors but just standard ones)

ReputationRep:
    I dye my hair because I hate my original hair colour so..If you aren't happy with the colour you have then why not?

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to be able to dye mine if the mood took me. I have some funky allergies though so I don't buy them anymore because I find out on the patch test that it'll upset my skin and my money is wasted

That being said, I have housemates who dye their hair a lot - and going into the bathroom after them is like seeing a hair massacre - it's literally EVERYWHERE. It's definitely not good to dye it too much. I'd rather have my natural colour than a bald head.

My dad's hair's died. He mourns the loss.

:awesome:

I told him it was already dead before it fell out, but it didn't make him feel any better.

Anyway, don't see owt wrong with dyed hair, but never done it myself: don't think I could be bothered with the endless fight against different coloured roots.

ReputationRep:
    so.much.upkeep.

eccentric colours are a pain in the ass, going lighter is a pain in the ass. anything other than black is a pain in the ass. mine's red and just having a shower looks like a murder scene

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rachel.h)
    I'd like to be able to dye mine if the mood took me. I have some funky allergies though so I don't buy them anymore because I find out on the patch test that it'll upset my skin and my money is wasted

That being said, I have housemates who dye their hair a lot - and going into the bathroom after them is like seeing a hair massacre - it's literally EVERYWHERE. It's definitely not good to dye it too much. I'd rather have my natural colour than a bald head.
    Does dying your hair cause a lot of damage? I am currently dirty blonde but not fussed on it so thinking of going brown! Just fancy the change but do not want to do too much damage!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ANB1993)
    Does dying your hair cause a lot of damage? I am currently dirty blonde but not fussed on it so thinking of going brown! Just fancy the change but do not want to do too much damage!
    Dying it shouldn't cause you any damage as long as you've done a patch test before using the dye. I used to dye mine bright red and purple (not at the same time ) but doing that never caused me any harm, I didn't notice any more hair coming out than usual or anything like that. I believe very regular dying can cause some issues but as you seem to just be talking about a one-off, you are more than likely to be fine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Where'sPerry?)
    Dying it shouldn't cause you any damage as long as you've done a patch test before using the dye. I used to dye mine bright red and purple (not at the same time ) but doing that never caused me any harm, I didn't notice any more hair coming out than usual or anything like that. I believe very regular dying can cause some issues but as you seem to just be talking about a one-off, you are more than likely to be fine
    Ah but if I do like the change I may opt to do it permanently so it may turn into a regular thing!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Care-Free)
    so.much.upkeep.

eccentric colours are a pain in the ass, going lighter is a pain in the ass. anything other than black is a pain in the ass. mine's red and just having a shower looks like a murder scene
    I'm with you on the murder scene...my little sisters' Barbies looked quite ironic with their arms up bobbing around in a bath of blood like some horror scene

Problem 2. the following 2 showers, forgetting you have dyed it red and using a white towel...not good. I did that a few days ago..

...I'm going black in a few days

ReputationRep:
    Ah but if I do like the change I may opt to do it permanently so it may turn into a regular thing!
    I've never repeatedly dyed my hair to maintain a colour so I'm not much help when it comes to that, I'm afraid I'm sure there will be a lot of other posters that can help though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Where'sPerry?)
    I've never repeatedly dyed my hair to maintain a colour so I'm not much help when it comes to that, I'm afraid I'm sure there will be a lot of other posters that can help though
    Aha thanks for the advice anyway!

ReputationRep:
    if your dying it natural colours go for it! might as well do it while your young, if you're unsure though why don't you temporarily dye it. You can get dyes that last up to 6weeks and that is pretty good way to see if your comfortable changing your hair colour whilst also not changing the colour permanently

I'm thinking about dying my hair. It's a light, boring brown. I'd like to go dark brown (or maybe even blonde) but I'm really worried it'll wreck my hair and be a massive pain to keep up.

ReputationRep:
    Try something like L'oreal casting creme gloss. It isn't as damaging as a permanent dye and if you don't like the colour it fades after 28 washes so it won't cost the earth to fix. That being said permanent dyes aren't that damaging providing they don't contain bleach and you aren't using them frequently (going lighter is more damaging than going darker.) Just use some good conditioner once a week like I do and I have never had any problems.

Hope you find a sexy new colour lol !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarah_22_16)
    Try something like L'oreal casting creme gloss. It isn't as damaging as a permanent dye and if you don't like the colour it fades after 28 washes so it won't cost the earth to fix. That being said permanent dyes aren't that damaging providing they don't contain bleach and you aren't using them frequently (going lighter is more damaging than going darker.) Just use some good conditioner once a week like I do and I have never had any problems.

Hope you find a sexy new colour lol !
    Ah I think I will try to do that! Going to get one of my friends that knows what she is doing to do it for me! Yeah i am going darker so should not be too much of a problem! Haha thanks hope I do too of course!

ReputationRep:
    repeated dyeing shouldnt ruin your hair as long as you take proper care of it; don't dye it more than once every six weeks, make sure to keep up a good conditioning routine, and be careful with heat (cooler is always better) and it'll be fine. Unless you bleach it, that stuff is awful.

There is always the chance of it looking ridiculous in terms of colour, of course. i'm not just saying that because I've just given myself the worst cut-and-dye job in history or anything, not at all, and I'm totally just wearing this hat because I like hats shut up okay but if that happens you just dye it black because that covers all mistakes.

ReputationRep:
    I dye mine my natural colour because I started going grey at 14

I'd love to not have to do it and I hate it when people say that all hair dye looks fake and unnatural. No body seems to notice that I dye my hair.

ReputationRep:
    Just make sure to do a patch test if you're fine then I'd suggest using a temporary dye just to see how the colour suits you

I've used 6 week ones before but have lasted months instead so isn't a waste of money ^_^ just make sure to condition your hair! There is also shampoos etc sold for dyed hair which are sold as different colours, these help to make the colouring last that little longer

As above never use White towels afterwards lol I have had electric blue hair and learnt the hard way about that :') Is always best to get someone to die it for you (a friend etc...) ^_^

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    I think it's fine if you don't like your original colour, as long as you don't dye it too many times that is. My friend has dyed her hair so many times since she was about 13 that her hair has started falling out :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JennaEmBee)
    I'm with you on the murder scene...my little sisters' Barbies looked quite ironic with their arms up bobbing around in a bath of blood like some horror scene

Problem 2. the following 2 showers, forgetting you have dyed it red and using a white towel...not good. I did that a few days ago..

...I'm going black in a few days
    Hahamy flatmates have said i look terrifying wiping red stuff of the bath all the time :P

Oh my goddd, i only had white towels at uni, now they're pink :P i have a towel specifically for my hair

Im going black once i've used up all my red dye

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.