Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Got rejected, but want to ask uni to change course and consider me again? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I've recently been rejected by my dream uni for a course I applied for. But theres another similar course which is still accepting applications (its open on ucas extra), so I was wondering if its possible to ask for the uni to change my applied course and to consider me again (even though I'm already rejected)?

is that even possible without cancelling all my other offers and going into ucas extra? and if so, are there any success stories?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Yes, just email the uni. They will want to know why you're interested in the new course - even though it's similar it isn't the same.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sleepless steve)
    I've recently been rejected by my dream uni for a course I applied for. But theres another similar course which is still accepting applications (its open on ucas extra), so I was wondering if its possible to ask for the uni to change my applied course and to consider me again (even though I'm already rejected)?

is that even possible without cancelling all my other offers and going into ucas extra? and if so, are there any success stories?
    I don't think that would be possible. If I were you I would ring up UCAS in the morning. I think as you've been rejected you now have to reapply through extra.

It's different if they have offered you a place on a different course - then you can just ring them up and ask to switch.

ReputationRep:
    You could ask, but they'd probably tell you to just apply through Extra. (Or Clearing if the Extra deadline's gone, I have no idea when that is...)

ReputationRep:
    Ask the uni. It might make a difference that you have been rejected but then you've got nothing left to lose from that uni so the worst that can happen is they say no. Even if they don't give you a different offer you can still try through ucas extra if you're willing to give up any other offers you have.

It depends on whether you more interested in that specific uni or that specific course. I had a similar thing with Southampton but instead of rejecting me they said they would withdraw their offer and give me one for a similar course (but without the bit I'm really interested in). I'm going to reject that offer but if it's your dream uni you probably have different priorities.

If you're not going to be happy at any other uni you might as well reject all of your other offers and go in for ucas extra and if that fails have a gap year. But ask the uni what they're willing to do first.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TRENDY_TURBAN)
    Ask the uni. It might make a difference that you have been rejected but then you've got nothing left to lose from that uni so the worst that can happen is they say no. Even if they don't give you a different offer you can still try through ucas extra if you're willing to give up any other offers you have.

It depends on whether you more interested in that specific uni or that specific course. I had a similar thing with Southampton but instead of rejecting me they said they would withdraw their offer and give me one for a similar course (but without the bit I'm really interested in). I'm going to reject that offer but if it's your dream uni you probably have different priorities.

If you're not going to be happy at any other uni you might as well reject all of your other offers and go in for ucas extra and if that fails have a gap year. But ask the uni what they're willing to do first.
    so they had already given you an offer for the course you applied for, but then decided to withdraw it and offer you another course?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sleepless steve)
    so they had already given you an offer for the course you applied for, but then decided to withdraw it and offer you another course?
    They offered me AAA, which I am not going to get, in my interview they said they could withdraw the offer and offer me a slightly different course for AAB.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Ignore the posters above stating that the uni would advise you to apply via Extra or to contact UCAS.

Universities would *much* prefer to just reconsider you and then make you a changed course offer than to force you to reject all your other choices and apply via Extra.

Extra is a pain for universities to use to admit students - they'll avoid it wherever they can. Also if you use Extra you don't get to have an insurance choice course.

As Juno says - ring up your uni and ask them (and be ready to explain why - maybe write a brief new PS for the new course to help you on the phone). The very worst thing they can say is "no we aren't willing to consider you for that course either".

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.