Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello!

Just to say before I blabber on, I'm not an Android fanboy, I'm not an Apple fanboy, but I just believe you should buy the phone that you feel works best for you - whatever the pros/cons and opinions.

Basically, after owning an iPhone 3G and iPhone 4S over 4 years, with better smartphones launching, I opted for a Samsung Galaxy S3 and sold my iPhone 4S. I'm only on a Orange sim-card contract so the S3 wasn't purchased on a new contract or anything. Basically, after 3 months of owning it, and getting used to it, for me personally, I'm not sure if I like it

It feels and looks much more modern than the iPhone, and it works much better. It's got smartstay so when you stop looking at the screen, it goes to sleep, it's got Android so widgets and easy to access widget buttons for things like turning off the WiFi etc - which would be miles of menus on the iPhone system, it's got NFC, a removable battery, micro SD card slot, the faster 3G internet stuff inside, and it just feels new/light years ahead.

I'm a photography student. Although I use my camera for my work, it's bulky to carry around all the time, and it's more convenient to use a phone camera. Although the camera on the S3 looks a better quality, the colours on the 4S camera seemed more natural, and let in more light. With the iPhone, there were better photography apps, which I liked using just to experiment with and those apps aren't available on Android. There are a nice bunch of apps on the Android Play Store but they're not as good. With the free Photoshop express app, on the Android version once you've saved your photo, even at the highest quality, it saves out pixelated for some reason. On the Apple version, it saves it at the highest quality/normal.

A lot of my friends own an iPhone. Being a photography student and enjoying taking photos, I miss being able to send photos to others for free. I don't want to pay 30p so no longer do. I know there are apps that can do this, but it's not as convenient.

As I own a Mac, the word equivalent - Pages, syncs with icloud. When I wanted to prepare for presentations or add a bit more to my essay, i could do it on the bus on the way to Uni, save/upload it, and it'd be there on my icloud login or laptop.

I like it all being secure too. With the S3, i have a phone password on it, but if i want to quickly take a photo, i can't. I have to type in the password first. On an iphone, you just simply flick the little camera icon and there you go.

My sister has an iPhone. Comparing the Google Now voice/Samsung S voice with Siri, Siri picks up what i'm saying with my gert Bristolian accent much better too. The S3 takes a bit longer too.

The S3 is a bit big too. I got it because it was the best Android out at the time and said it had a good camera. I know there's an S3 Mini but the camera isn't as good. I know phones are getting bigger but you don't want them too big. After all, they are phones, not tablets! I feel funny holding the S3 to my ear. It's big! The S3 is too light too and the plastic it's made of is too slippy I've dropped it loads!

The Samsung S3 is a fantastic phone, it's much much better, but I really miss what the iPhone does too. Just to say, i'm no Apple fanboy! It's just a personal preference

What should I do? Keep the S3? or sell it, and get an iPhone 5?

ReputationRep:
    Based on what you've said, i think an iPhone 5 would be a good phone for you.

It's a nice size and is the best phone at a smaller size which is what you want. It also works seamlessly with your mac and iCloud as well + you can send iMessages to other students for free.
    As you say there are apps like Whatsapp or dropbox which do similar, Have you tried them out or seen if they work with your Mac?

To be honest the camera in the iPhone and S3 aren't radically different, It's just the software thats different. Have you tried using certain apps like HDR+ to enhance the camera?

I think that if you've tried all the above and it's not working out for you then an iPhone might suit you better, just make sure you're 100% sure the iPhone 5 will benefit you in more ways than the S3 does now. The only thing i will say is look how much storage your pictures take up on your S3 as you may want the 32GB or even 64GB version of the iPhone 5.

ReputationRep:
    I always tell myself when considering expensive purchases: "Do I really need this and will it work for me? Or am I buying it because of a trend?"

It sounds to me that the iPhone works better for you, considering your interests and vocation, as well as your organisational habits. So I would suggest go and get an iPhone 5 if you feel that is missing in your life. I'm sure the S3 is really nice and all that, but it would be better to maximise on your purchases, rather than going for looks and technical gimmicks that have no substantial benefit to your lifestyle and activities.

ReputationRep:
    I have the iPhone 5 and I think it's by far the best phone. I've always hated the cheap 'plasticy' feel to the s3

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bloxorus)
    I have the iPhone 5 and I think it's by far the best phone. I've always hated the cheap 'plasticy' feel to the s3

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

This has nothing to do with what the OP was asking and has no relevance at all.

ReputationRep:
    The iPhone 5 camera is better than the S3. Like the 4S it is A lot more natural. The S3 screen is also heavily saturated.

With regards to Pages and Keynote. Both work extremely well and sync well with the Mac apps. I can happily work for hours on my iPad on a Pages document.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    iPhone 5s would be out soon I believe in august...the things I've heard..well, I think it's worth waiting for

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Just spotted this which seems like a good deal for anyone who wants a sim free iphone 5 (locked to EE/T-Mobile/Orange though).

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/bran...16369#comments

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.