Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Why is this digusting sexism tolerated with no one batting an eye lid?

There are a total of ten scholarships available, each worth £3,000 for Home/EU female students in the School of Natural & Mathematical Sciences, who are undertaking undergraduate studies in the areas of mathematics, physics or computer science starting in 2013.
    I cannot apply for this scholarship simply because I am male.

This is rather infuriating, I meet all the other criteria yet because of my gender I am being discriminated against.

Imagine the outrage if there was an exclusively male only scholarship.

Is there have a human rights case?

ReputationRep:
    Positive discrimination isn't good. It just perpetuates the myth that men and women are necessarily different.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's because there are less females taking them subjects and they're using this as an incentive for more females to apply.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JordanS94)
    I think it's because there are less females taking them subjects and they're using this as an incentive for more females to apply.
    Thanks, Sherlock.

ReputationRep:
    It could be funded privately by a foundation and therefore they can choose to put certain criteria should they so wish.

ReputationRep:
    because those subjects are lacking in the female department.

we get free entry to clubs too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imiss-school)
    Why is this digusting sexism tolerated with no one batting an eye lid?

I cannot apply for this scholarship simply because I am male.

This is rather infuriating, I meet all the other criteria yet because of my gender I am being discriminated against.

Imagine the outrage if there was an exclusively male only scholarship.

Is there have a human rights case?
    Seems like "positive discrimination" as it is so famously said these days.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bellissima)

I think it's patronising if I'm honest. There are a few areas where I think this tactic works. E.G. teachers, making sure that there are male and female teachers because kids need to see that there are role models and carers of both sexes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JordanS94)
    Well it would be much better if the incentive was that it's an interesting subject with good job prospects.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by there's too much love)
    Positive discrimination isn't good. It just perpetuates the myth that men and women are necessarily different.
    Myth? In what manner of the word?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mockery)
    Myth? In what manner of the word?
    With the exception of anatomy no sex is inherently different from another.
    Whilst you can have men trapped in women's bodies, vice versa. And a whole host of other sexes then what the norm accepts, no sex is inherently better at running, lifting, analysing, empathy, sympathy etc. etc. than any other.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with the scholarship, but they should do the same for males for courses that are predominantly female

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bellissima)

amongst many other benefits, in fact I think its better to be a woman than man in the west

ReputationRep:
    With the exception of anatomy no sex is inherently different from another.
    Whilst you can have men trapped in women's bodies, vice versa. And a whole host of other sexes then what the norm accepts, no sex is inherently better at running, lifting, analysing, empathy, sympathy etc. etc. than any other.
    That's severely illogical and suggests little observational skills.

In society if you have two individuals (gender aside) in different roles such as jobs you'd agree that they have different skill sets right? Due to education, upbringing, likes/dislikes, genetics etc.. So why when you look in the natural world and see different genders of the same species exclusively performing completely different social roles to one another you don't think that that could be due to having different 'skill sets'?

ReputationRep:

In society if you have two individuals (gender aside) in different roles such as jobs you'd agree that they have different skill sets right? Due to education, upbringing, likes/dislikes, genetics etc.. So why when you look in the natural world and see different genders of the same species exclusively performing completely different social roles to one another you don't think that that could be due to having different 'skill sets'?
    Sorry, which skill sets are exclusively assigned to a particular gender, or for that matter, sex?
    I've yet to see one.

ReputationRep:
    It's an initiative for women to get into science; which even in this day and age is needed!

Women have had to put up with that kind of discrimination for forever, so I’m sure men can cope with a course giving 10 women an opportunity to get into science.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, which skill sets are exclusively assigned to a particular gender, or for that matter, sex?
    I've yet to see one.
    You haven't answered my question nor given an explanation as to how my thinking is flawed.

ReputationRep:
    It's a fair idea but, as with other forms of positive discrimination, it can be annoying.

All candidates should be assumed equal until they prove based on individual merit that they are the best for a position.

ReputationRep:
    You haven't answered my question nor given an explanation as to how my thinking is flawed.
    Because I haven't seen what you said I see in the "natural world" for the human species. So I need an example. Otherwise your question can't be answered as it's presuming that I have an example to base it on.

ReputationRep:

Calling someone illogical and then making some fascile analogy to an inferior species? Get out. I agree that there are clear natural differences between human males and females, but seriously get out.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.