Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Ok so for the past five months or so I've been trying to lose weight. My net calorie intake has been 1200 (give or take) and I've had a few cheat days where I've gone up to 1800 but never gone much over that. I try and burn around 250-300 a day from exercise and make up the rest in food, and I've lost quite a bit of weight since I started. But for the past week or so I haven't had much time to exercise and have just cut down on food, and I've been making sure my calorie intake is 1200-1300. But I am already gaining weight and I can actually feel my muscle turning into fat.. and I'm sure I'm not being paranoid coz my bf has said the same. Surely if I maintain the 1200 calorie intake I should still be losing weight? Is it because I've suddenly stopped exercising? Someone told me my metabolism has probably slowed down over time and eating 1200 calories won't make a difference anymore.. so I would need to make more of a deficit :/ is that true? Any advice would be appreciated.. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    1,200 calories is a big reduction, especially if before hand you were eating over 2000? Well, your muscle doesn't actually turn into fat, they are different tissues. Muscles shrink and grow with exercise. The number of fat cells in your body does increase when you eat more fat that needs to be broken down into glucose or when your body feels starved. Perhaps what has happened is that your body feels starved, especially if you aren't eating regularly (i.e. skipping breakfast) or eating lots of fatty foods. Usually people put weight on when they suddenly stop exercising because they eat more than 2000 calories per day because muscle needs more calories to be maintained, so if you are still eating 1200 calories this shouldn't be the case. How often do you weigh yourself? I heard (whether this is true or not, I don't know) that what you do one week won't be noticeable until the week after. In any regard, don't reduce your calorie intake any more because that is a slippery slope and in the long run unsustainable and your health will take a beating. Everyones frame is different and sometimes being celebrity thin is not reachable for everyone, everyones body has their own set points. If you really are putting on significant weight then you should go to your GP, there could be something underlying.

ReputationRep:
    Are you overweight or even close to it?
    Because if not that might be the reason. Your body will be trying to stay at a comfortable weight.

Please don't go below 1200 calories, you will be tired and miserable.
    Also maybe you should focus less on the scales and more on measurements and how well your clothes fit.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say you've been cutting down way too much and with the exercise your body is saving any calories you give it now! You're taking in a net of around 850-950 calories a day and of those calories you need a few hundred just to breathe.. I'd take a look at your diet and slow it down a little, you should not be taking in less than 1500 calories a day and exercise is extra calories you can eat rather than burning your minimum. People stop losing weight on extreme diets like that because your body needs calories and you'll trick your body into storing fat and burning muscle which is the exact opposite to what you want.
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    (Original post by malteser87)
    I'd say you've been cutting down way too much and with the exercise your body is saving any calories you give it now! You're taking in a net of around 850-950 calories a day and of those calories you need a few hundred just to breathe.. I'd take a look at your diet and slow it down a little, you should not be taking in less than 1500 calories a day and exercise is extra calories you can eat rather than burning your minimum. People stop losing weight on extreme diets like that because your body needs calories and you'll trick your body into storing fat and burning muscle which is the exact opposite to what you want.
    She said net, "net 1200" so it's not 850-950 net at all.

Switch up your exercise routine, add in more weights and HIIT. You could just be platauing. Calculate your BMI/bf% and BMR the previous two will give you an idea of your progress, and also if your bmi is now quite low, losing more can become more difficult. the 'final 10' are the hardest I've heard many people say. BMR is useful because it will help you calculate a calorie deficit. that will allow you to lose weight. Myfitnesspal is also really good at tracking net calories and what you should be consuming to lose. So that might help.

ReputationRep:
    what it sounds like to me is that your body has got used to the calories that you have cut down too.

its great that you have managed to stick to it and managed to lose weight already so well done.
    You have started the hardest part.
    I have some suggestions that may be of use to you.
    are you drinking plenty of water.
    try to drink over two and a half litres a day.
    at least.
    this will help purify your body and remove toxins. your body will be able to heal and burn fat more effectively and you will have a better wellbeing having good hydration.

do you walk? its said getting up and going for a walk for an hour every morning will boost your metabolism and walking is a fat burning activity. try and stick to it every day. know its not easy to do an hours walk every day but if you can make it fit in you can take alot of benefits from it.

do you get enough sleep? consistent sleeping patterns getting at least 7 hours.

maintain good posture head up shoulders back and down expanding your chest.
    i find positive posture like this makes me feel positive.

also do you do any resistance training? this can be bodybuilding, powerlifting or body weight work?
    doing cardio is fine to an extent but muscle burns more calories.
    having more muscle boosts your metabolism.

look into basal metabolic rate if you havnt already.
    this is a calculation of the minimum amount of calories you need to fuel your basic bodily functions without physical per day.
    eat around the number or below it
    you can work it out here

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/

just simple ideas to help you achieve your goals.
    knowledge is power and the more you learn it will help you to be a stronger version of yourself

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'd suggest that either you're not burning as much as you think with your exercise, you're not measuring your food and are eating more than you think, or you're eating way more on your "cheat days" than you think. Take a look into those things first, it might be that simple.

You should also work out your BMI as it gives a (very rough) indication of whether you're overweight. If you're not, then this might be why you're struggling to lose weight, as it's much easier to lose weight if you're overweight already.

I don't believe in "starvation mode", because I lost a lot of weight on relatively low calories and I never stalled once; because I worked out the numbers properly.

MyFitnessPal.com is a great place to start. Try making sure your food and exercise are as you think they are, and then you should be better able to lose weight .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sweetcheeks01)
    Ok so for the past five months or so I've been trying to lose weight. My net calorie intake has been 1200 (give or take) and I've had a few cheat days where I've gone up to 1800 but never gone much over that. I try and burn around 250-300 a day from exercise and make up the rest in food, and I've lost quite a bit of weight since I started. But for the past week or so I haven't had much time to exercise and have just cut down on food, and I've been making sure my calorie intake is 1200-1300. But I am already gaining weight and I can actually feel my muscle turning into fat.. and I'm sure I'm not being paranoid coz my bf has said the same. Surely if I maintain the 1200 calorie intake I should still be losing weight? Is it because I've suddenly stopped exercising? Someone told me my metabolism has probably slowed down over time and eating 1200 calories won't make a difference anymore.. so I would need to make more of a deficit :/ is that true? Any advice would be appreciated.. Thanks
    Calories mean nothing if you are not looking at what those calories are eg. 250 cals of protein, or 250 cals of sugar.

So what are you eating exactly?

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps you are not eating the right type of foods? If you are putting on weight by just having 1200 cal/day then there is sthg wrong there. Even if you don't exercise try to keep active. Also increase your protein intake.

ps: can you ACTUALLY feel the muscle turning into fat? yuk!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ce303ce303)
    ps: can you ACTUALLY feel the muscle turning into fat? yuk!!!
    Muscle doesn't actually "turn into" fat, so probably not. You can lose muscle and gain fat, but one isn't actually turning into the other.

ReputationRep:
    Muscle can not metamorph into fat, just so you know. They are structurally, chemically and completely different.

ReputationRep:
    Where are you getting these calories from?
    Try to eat as much protein as you can (ideally 2g for every lb of weight)
    You will lose a lot of body fat.Look up keto diet.

ReputationRep:
    You've reduced your caloric intake too much. Your metabolism would have slowed down regardless of if you exercised or not.

ReputationRep:
    You could just be having one those periods wehere you gain for a while and then it goes, if it continues then speak to your GP

ReputationRep:
    Stop eating so much, that would probably help reduce your fat levels! just stay consistent and don't give up.. as much as you want to go eat the cake in your fridge just don't do it.

Hope I helped!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.