Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Any trampolinists out there? I can't be the only one...

I wish I was, but it gives me a headache... I did do a week long gymnastics course when I was 7. That must count for something!

ReputationRep:
    I've decided I want to try it and am going tomorrow! I'm excited but also quite scared

ReputationRep:
    haha well if you learnt something then sure Are you at Uni?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nursing_sue)
    I've decided I want to try it and am going tomorrow! I'm excited but also quite scared
    You'll love it Don't worry, it's so much fun! They won't expect you to somersault straight away :P Just remember to keep in the middle and have fun

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxSherlockxx)
    You'll love it Don't worry, it's so much fun! They won't expect you to somersault straight away :P Just remember to keep in the middle and have fun
    What do I wear? I mean, I'm planning on jogging bottoms and t shirt so that part is ok (I hope) but have no idea about shoes. Are trainers ok? I watched the olympics and they seem to have skin coloured sock things so that wasn't much help!

ReputationRep:
    What do I wear? I mean, I'm planning on jogging bottoms and t shirt so that part is ok (I hope) but have no idea about shoes. Are trainers ok? I watched the olympics and they seem to have skin coloured sock things so that wasn't much help!
    Jogging bottoms are fine, you usually take your shoes off so just wear some socks Any T-shirt you have will be fine, just be wary that if it's too short it might fly up or too baggy you may end up like a balloon Sports bra might be ideal if you want to carry it on, you bounce around a lot! Tie your hair back and remove any jewellery But yeah, just normal jogging bottoms that you won't have to keep pulling up and a t-shirt will be great.

ReputationRep:
    Oh and take some water too, you'll need it!

ReputationRep:
    Jogging bottoms are fine, you usually take your shoes off so just wear some socks Any T-shirt you have will be fine, just be wary that if it's too short it might fly up or too baggy you may end up like a balloon Sports bra might be ideal if you want to carry it on, you bounce around a lot! Tie your hair back and remove any jewellery But yeah, just normal jogging bottoms that you won't have to keep pulling up and a t-shirt will be great.
    Thanks You've been really helpful!

The other thing that confuses me is 10 mins into this video the man (I assume coach) throws a mat as she lands off to the side. Why don't they just make that bit more padded so they don't need a man and a mat?

ReputationRep:
    Eeeeeeh!!! I'm joining the trampolining club at my uni this september! wayyyyy excited!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks You've been really helpful!

The other thing that confuses me is 10 mins into this video the man (I assume coach) throws a mat as she lands off to the side. Why don't they just make that bit more padded so they don't need a man and a mat?
    The man is there with the mat in case she lands badly on the bed of the trampoline or elsewhere. The mats on the end are actually well padded. The man also serves as a spotter, helping to push the trampolinist back on in case they fall off the trampoline. I'm not sure why they don't add more padding...but in all honesty, that's an Olympic trampoline. You get different types of trampoline with different "bounciness". I highly doubt you'll be on one that bouncy if you're in a normal leisure centre. Also you will not bounce that high on your first lesson, you need to learn to control your bouncing before you work on height Not even I bounce that high in all honesty, I don't compete, just have trampolined for fun for years

ReputationRep:
    Hey i've been a trampolinist for 6 years and I love it. Changing clubs in Sept though for Uni! So excited to see what Southampton are made of!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AOK :))
    Hey i've been a trampolinist for 6 years and I love it. Changing clubs in Sept though for Uni! So excited to see what Southampton are made of!
    Ah exciting! What are you studying?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah! Been trampolining at school for 7 years

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I used to be very into it up until I turned in 18 and went off to uni, I believe the grades have changed now but at my last competition I had (just about!) qualified for grade 3. That feels like so long ago now :moon: might have to try and find a club in Brighton.

ReputationRep:
    I did trampolining and gymnastics competitively for years from about age 6 to 14/15 and now as an adult (22) have joint problems (my shoulder keeps falling out but it doesnt hurt) and a really bad back that is currently jarred - gutted, really wanted to join cheerleading in uni but I can't even get dressed it usually only lasts a couple of days but it happens randomly, it went on Tuesday all I did was get up out of my chair haha.

I really miss the feeling you get when you master a rotation for the first time

make the most of it for us cripples you guys

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    I used to be very into it up until I turned in 18 and went off to uni, I believe the grades have changed now but at my last competition I had (just about!) qualified for grade 3. That feels like so long ago now :moon: might have to try and find a club in Brighton.
    Oh wow! I would love to be good enough to compete...Try looking here for any clubs around you.
    http://www.british-gymnastics.org/si...per&Itemid=754

ReputationRep:
    Oh wow! I would love to be good enough to compete...Try looking here for any clubs around you.
    http://www.british-gymnastics.org/si...per&Itemid=754
    My time competing was very short, I did well but only entered proper competitions for about one year. Yeah that site doesn't pull anything up near me, so we will have to see :beard:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    My time competing was very short, I did well but only entered proper competitions for about one year. Yeah that site doesn't pull anything up near me, so we will have to see :beard:
    oh...shame that. Try looking at local leisure centres? It may not be the standard you are looking for but at least it'll introduce you back into the sport again

ReputationRep:
    Im a trampolinist!!! I LOVE IT ITS SOOOO FUNNNN!!!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 26, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.