Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Stupid problem I have but I hope someone can help!

I'm a dual national and my foreign passport expired last month (I totally forgot about renewing it) and it was the only valid ID I have since I don't have a driving licence, Citizen Card or anything like that just UK birth certificate, NI number etc. and I work.

However I just put a deposit down today for a flatshare which should start on the 10th, (otherwise I'm homeless) and silly me realised just now that they'd probably have to do an ID check as well as refs. I have between 8th-10th off to try and sort it.

Will my passport be any good?? I live in London so could get a Citizen Card processed in an hour but would that be valid ID? Or are letting agents not that strict if you can provide non-photo ID?!

I hardly know anyone in London either and nowhere to put my stuff if it does go pear-shaped so bit worried.

ReputationRep:
    Citizen Card is valid ID so that would be your best bet. I'm a dual national too and often use my ID card from the netherlands which seem to work fine in the UK.

ReputationRep:
    Cheers for that, I was thinking it too and it cheered me up a bit that it wasn't as expensive to get as an express passport (and only in an hour too)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x-pixie-x)
    Cheers for that, I was thinking it too and it cheered me up a bit that it wasn't as expensive to get as an express passport (and only in an hour too)
    I would recommend you to apply for provisional driving license in the future it's accepted more than the Citizen Card.

ReputationRep:
    I did look at that first, it was just the small issue of having to get something in like a 2-day time frame. I'm chronically last minute with everything though so no surprise to me. Although I am in the process of getting my first UK passport and it's more annoying I have to send them tons of documentation to prove I'm English! Thanks for your help though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x-pixie-x)
    I did look at that first, it was just the small issue of having to get something in like a 2-day time frame. I'm chronically last minute with everything though so no surprise to me. Although I am in the process of getting my first UK passport and it's more annoying I have to send them tons of documentation to prove I'm English! Thanks for your help though!
    The passport process is very long indeed you should be fine with your Citizen Card for now and goodluck

ReputationRep:
    Don't you have a UK passport? Provisional licences are the best ID out there. Citizen cards second best.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.