Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am due to start a new school in September for lower sixth or yr 12. I am nervous but excited however the pupils that go there seem to be incredibly wealthy i.e. Hermes, Chanel, houses in the most expensive London locations, royalty and aristocracy.....

I don't come from a poor family and have been privileged enough to go to private school all my life but I worry I will be expected to keep up with their standards and I have heard rumors that the people there people favor the wealthiest and consider others poor with the 'popular group' only being the richer. ....

I am worried it will be awkward with social lives dependent on money which I can't afford.

What do I do- have you been in this situation?

ReputationRep:
    who cares what other people think, you are your own person, they sound like stuck up *****.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophielfw)
    I am due to start a new school in September for lower sixth or yr 12. I am nervous but excited however the pupils that go there seem to be incredibly wealthy i.e. Hermes, Chanel, houses in the most expensive London locations, royalty and aristocracy.....

I don't come from a poor family and have been privileged enough to go to private school all my life but I worry I will be expected to keep up with their standards and I have heard rumors that the people there people favor the wealthiest and consider others poor with the 'popular group' only being the richer. ....

I am worried it will be awkward with social lives dependent on money which I can't afford.

What do I do- have you been in this situation?
    Doubt it will be an issue. If it is then they hardly sound like people you would want to be around, and even if this is the case there are probably some more level-headed people there so you can be mates with them.

Rather reminds me of 90210... :awesome:

You'll be fine :yes:
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    The things that you heard are most likely not accurate as not everyone in the school can be like that. Even if there are some people who only befriend the rich and wealthy, then they really aren't the type of people you want to associate yourself or be friends with.
    Just be yourself and i'm sure you will meet a lot of liked minded people who are great and don't judge others on their financial status

ReputationRep:
    I go to a private uni in London, I'm not poor but compared to everyone else I feel like I am. First term I was trying to keep up with them on the money side, like shopping, eating out and partying but at the end of the day they honestly don't give a crap how much you've got in the piggy just if you have a matching personality to them. That's my experience anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by c.fox)
    I go to a private uni in London, I'm not poor but compared to everyone else I feel like I am.
    Everyone else at your London private school

You're certainly not poor compared to everyone else!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 3, 2013
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.