Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have one month to study for 3 subjects and to do some more work on my research paper. I'm only taking 3 subjects this semester but this just means it'll take me longer to get my master's degree.

My worst subject is linguistics and I don't even have the level of a second-year student in that subject due to the fact that I wasn't able to attend some classes when I was an undergrad.

I have some health issues and it hasn't been easy for me to finish my B.A.--I got it eventually but it took me longer than it should have...

So here's what I've done to get better at linguistics (so far):
    I don't feel like I really have a method and I'm mainly gathering stuff for now so I need all the advice I can get.

* I purchased several books (I asked people to recommend some that were easy). They're still hard to understand but I feel like they help at least a bit. I won't be able to do that again anytime soon because even 4/5 textbooks cost a lot of money.

* I also borrowed some books from the library because buying books is expensive. However I feel buying some textbooks was necessary because I cannot hog library books forever.

* I'm thinking of printing past papers that are available online (or I could also put them on my Kindle, which would save ink).
    The thing is, I don't have the level required to do the past papers which renders them pretty much useless.

* I bought 12 Stabilo point 88 pens and I'm also looking for the old ones I bought many years ago. They still work but a couple of colors are missing. Do these pens last long? I plan on doing a lot of writing.
    Since I'm on a tight budget and also need to buy colored paper I grabbed a pack of 20 ball-point pens for a low price. They write well and some of them have really pretty colors.

*Like I said I'll buy flash cards/colored paper eventually. For now regular paper will do.

Since my linguistics exam mainly consists in analyzing sentences, describing parts of speech and translating sentences, what type of reviewing/ learning methods would you recommend?

Also, what can I do to become better at translation?

How many hours of review do you think someone like me who has low stamina can manage in a day?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful revision links

Articles

Writing revision notes

Our top revision articles

Tips and advice on making the most of your study time.

Boomarked book

Superpowered study

Take the hard work out of revising with our masterplan.

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Can you help? Study Help unanswered threadsStudy Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.