Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello all, I have found myself in quite a situation and could use some impartial advice.

I am applying to start my MSc in public health and have been offered the place at 2 universities. One university is where I obtained my undergraduate degree. I did well here acedemically and had an OK time, however in terms of "rankings" and reputation it has no comparison to the other more prestigious university which has also offered me a place on the course.

I am unsure whether I should continue studies with my original institution or go somewhere completely different. I feel it would certainly certainly be easier to choose the former and somewhat loyal but I am not sure how this might look to future employers.

Any thoughts most appreciated, thanks. xx

ReputationRep:
    I had the same choice and opted to go to a different uni for my Masters. Although I loved my undergrad uni and would have done just as well there, my Masters uni course had units which were much more specific to my personal interests and the direction in which I wanted to go at that time. It turned out that my Masters uni had a very different approach to my subject and it was fascinating to get an alternative perspective.

I've now returned to my undergrad uni for my PhD. Staff there have said they're glad I did my Masters elsewhere as it gave me a greater breadth of experience. My undergrad/PhD uni is much lower ranked than my Masters uni, but I've simply chosen the right courses/unis for each step of my learning.

Mobility between universities from undergrad to Masters is very common and the appearance of loyalty won't be an issue. Don't let loyalty or prestige be distractions. Have a look at the taught module content. Visit the other uni, have a wander round the department and see how it feels - sometime gut feel can be a useful guide. Choose the right place for *you*. Whilst a Masters only lasts a year, it's a very full-on year and can be made utterly miserable if you suddenly realise that you're in the wrong place. Which do you think will best equip you for the next step in your life?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.