Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey, so I'm new on this thing but I wanted to quickly ask some questions that I'm dying to know (the answers will probably contribute towards my decision on whether to go to lancaster or not haha) okay so:

1. Which is the best college(accommodation)? I was thinking Lonsdale because of the ensuite stuff and the bar is good apparently or maybe a townhouse but what do you think?

2. Is the computer department good/popular? I've got an offer for Computer Science Bsc ..

3. Guy to Girl ratio? So are there more girls or more guys at lancaster?

4. How good is the night-life?

5. If I bring my tv and Xbox, will I still have to pay for a tv license? Because I won't actually be watching live tv so?

6. Final question aha, I have family in Blackpool, what is the transport like to and from lancaster? And if you know how much it costs per journey?

thanks people

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Le Wookie)
    Hey, so I'm new on this thing but I wanted to quickly ask some questions that I'm dying to know (the answers will probably contribute towards my decision on whether to go to lancaster or not haha) okay so:

1. Which is the best college(accommodation)? I was thinking Lonsdale because of the ensuite stuff and the bar is good apparently or maybe a townhouse but what do you think?

2. Is the computer department good/popular? I've got an offer for Computer Science Bsc ..

5. If I bring my tv and Xbox, will I still have to pay for a tv license? Because I won't actually be watching live tv so?

6. Final question aha, I have family in Blackpool, what is the transport like to and from lancaster? And if you know how much it costs per journey?

thanks people
    I'll try replying to the ones I can help you with, hope they are of some help!

1. In all honesty I think the choosing between accommodation really isn't as big of a thing as they make out, as really most uni acc is within a 10 min walk of most places you will likely end up going. But of what you said townhouses are probably the most sought after and best rated acc. College wise you have the likes of county/bowland/furness central with the others being further away from the centre of campus. But really I'd base your decision firstly on what type of acc. e.g. townhouse/upgraded standard/ensuite and as long as you have the right type of acc the college probably won't matter as much.

2. No idea - sorry !

3. Think I've seen on these boards before that there are more girls at lancaster - but only slightly. Nonetheless I don't really notice much of a difference both college/course wise - so either way I hope you would be satisfied :P

4. Lancaster definitely is not as big as the likes of newcastle etc night life wise, but guarenteed you'll have just as good of a time with the people you'll meet. On top of the 9 bars on campus - town is pretty decent. Considering lancs is a student centred city (with two unis) its definately got enough clubs/bars and I've never heard anyone complain how rubbish it is (its brilliant - at least you + friends can make it so!)

5. No, if you just use it for xbox (inc sky player etc) then you won't need one. Plus you should also have no worries connecting xbox up via the internet (sometimes at uni it may be blocked). But even if you did watch live tv who says they would fine out. (they dont - at least of the few people i know of)

6. Never been to blackpool via bus but have flatmates who have, think it takes about 40 minutes or so to get there, buses are probably quite regular and you'll never be waiting too long. Think a return to blackpool is about £6.80 - seems a lot but suppose if you only do it once in a while, compared to spending on a night out it'll seem nothing - but either way youll be able to visit quickly and cheaply!

Hope I've helped of some sort!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks! Really helped a lot
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    PS Helper

I'm in furness so have to say that but look at their location and the types of accommodation that suit you. You can go to any of the bars or social spaces.

My friend does comp sci and enjoys it but it's a lot of work particularly around coursework deadlines and you will be writing a lot of programs.

56:44 girls:guys overall but much more like 10:90 in comp sci. But that's to be expected to some extent.

It's very good for the size of the place but it's not as happening as a big city. However it is safe and has everything I need.

Absolutely not. You need to say online in your first few weeks that you aren't watching TV to the licensing company and you're fine. Otherwise they bombard you with letters. Apparently I was under "official investigation" after 3 weeks in my flat.

There's a bus I don't know how long it takes or how much it costs (probably about £10). You can get a train there by changing at Preston I would guess that's a similar price, I know it's about £15 return to Manchester.

thanks people
    Answers throughout hope that helps.

ReputationRep:
    I'm in Bowland ensuite and it's actually not as bad as everyone says, there are 4 people to a flat which is smaller than anywhere else that I know about but the rooms are larger than the newer ones I've seen and you have an actual bathroom as opposed to a wetroom, meaning a shower stall and it seems (to me) more bathroom storage

I think generally it's mostly about even but in terms of who you meet it will most likely depend on where you are on campus, both to live and where your lecture are.

There are some good places to out at night cheaply and there are also some coach trips to other places like Manchester for a night out sometimes.

No you don't need a TV license

I'm from Blackpool and go home quite regularly, you can get the Stagecoach 42 from the underpass all the way to Blackpool town centre. It comes every hour and, realistically you're looking at about an hour / hour and a half to get there. It's cheaper to get the £6.80 day pass than an actual Lancaster-Blackpool ticket and if you're just going for the day then that will obviously get you there and back.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by k9markiii)
    Answers throughout hope that helps.
    Thanks! and are you sure the ratio is 10(guys):90(girls) for Computer sci? :eek:
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    PS Helper
    Thanks! and are you sure the ratio is 10(guys):90(girls) for Computer sci? :eek:
    I don't know. It's something like that for physics. My friend says it's very much more guys than girls but don't know for certain. Either way you still can make lots of friends outside lectures and it's not a major problem. Also this is the same for most comp sci courses nationwide.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by k9markiii)
    I don't know. It's something like that for physics. My friend says it's very much more guys than girls but don't know for certain. Either way you still can make lots of friends outside lectures and it's not a major problem. Also this is the same for most comp sci courses nationwide.
    Other way around!
    It's more like 10 girls to 90 boys.
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    PS Helper
    sorry hadn't noticed my mistake. 90 guy 10 girls manitude is correct.

ReputationRep:

thanks people

1. Lonnie's alright, but dont base your decision on the bars, cos theyre all going through a bit of a slump period atm and no-one really goes to them. I'm in lonsdale and find the bar fairly rubbish. Apparently they tried to make it a bit like a nightclub, which is great for freshers and dj events etc, but not just to chill and have a drink. Bars like Bowland and County are the best day-to-day college bars.

5. You should be fine, i've heard that apparently lancaster uni does have some kind of agreement with the tv license people cos its technically private land or something, so even though they say you need a tv license, i dont think anyones ever been pursued for not having one.

ReputationRep:
    Dont go! Its too small a city. Your gonna get bored by the end of your 3rd year. Just go somewhere bigger. Theres only like 3 or 4 clubs.

ReputationRep:
    Hey i hope these answers help you!

I think it depends on opinion but i live in Bowland hall which is an ensuite and its a good size room and bathroom compared to a lot of other rooms ive seen. The only thing is there are 4 floors of 4 people and my floor are all pretty quiet but luckily the other floors aren't so ive made some good friends there so it also depends on how many people you want to live with and luck of the draw! After freshers none of the bars are that popular or particularly busy most of the time but they do put on some good events in them occasionally. As for the rumors about certain colleges being sporty certain being social, they're all the same in those respects so don't choose based on what it says about stuff like that.

I'm an English student so I have no idea sorry!

. Guy to Girl ratio? So are there more girls or more guys at lancaster?

I really think its probably the same, I've not noticed a significant difference.

Hmm, now this depends on where you live now if its somewhere the nightlife is amazing you'll be disappointed by comparison. I mean it isn't that bad any night out is made by the people you go out with so make a good group of friends and it should be good wherever you go. The good thing about Lancaster is there's deals on drinks and things like free buses there and back to certain clubs pretty much everyday so you can always find a cheap night out. It doesn't have the variety of places like Manchester but it has a few good places that are pretty popular.

No idea but everyone seems to be saying no so no i guess!

The transport is really good especially somewhere fairly close such as blackpool. The uni has an underpass that has regular buses running to just about everywhere nearby and in town and surrounding towns. I think a return to Blackpool is 5-6 pounds so its really not that bad. Just don't expect the bus drivers to be too cheerful...

Hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarah_may)

I'm an English student so I have no idea sorry!

I've applied for English Lit with Creative Writing this year! What's the department like? Are you enjoying it?

ReputationRep:

1. Currently in a Townhouse - relatively the best accommodation on campus in my opinion

2. Computer Science Department is really good - lectures really good and coursework interesting and relevant - android development option at end of first year - also students get 24 hour access to dedicated labs for the department which is great around deadlines (current Computer Science and Maths student)

4. Not the best but with 9 college bars on campus can be a good night

5. If your not watching tv you don't need a tv license

6. trains and buses are very regular from lancaster and the university area.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.