Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Brazil - Anyone been there/or lived there? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I want to go to Brazil to see the World Cup and the Olympics when they come around. I might have to save some moneys for it while I'm at uni.

I am learning some basic portuguese at the moment for the sake of it, and I do want to move there permanently when I'm a bit older.

But I've never been there and I don't know what to expect. Any tips, advice, anything at all really would be appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I'm from Brazil! I've been living in the UK for the past 9 years, but I can remember my home country pretty well.. I guess!
    What would you like to know? Let me see... People in Brazil are usually very friendly. That's what makes most tourists want to stay and live there permanently.
    Minimum wage in Brazil is ridiculously low, so most working/middle class people work 2 jobs.
    What else...? Oh, Brazilians are very emotional! They'll usually value relationships more than rules/laws.
    If you have any questions just give me a shout!

ReputationRep:
    I've been to Brazil. I was in Rio for 3 weeks, and then went to a few other places before carrying on into Bolivia. I absolutely loved it. What kind of things do you want to know?

ReputationRep:
    Brazilian here, too.

You might find this helpful: http://www.braziliangringo.com/26-gringos-love-brazil/

Obviously, the situations of tourists and residents are VERY different, especially in big cities such as Rio and São Paulo. There is a lot more to Brazil than just those two, but that really depends on your personal tastes. As an incredible big country, you can find anything here: European-like cities, german cities, portuguese cities, italian cities, financial cities, sunny cities, etc.

Are you planing to come alone? Have you done some research on your possible destinations?

Feel free to ask

ReputationRep:
    How can you want to live somewhere that you've never even been before?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arturo Bandini)
    How can you want to live somewhere that you've never even been before?
    I'm in love with everything about the country, the culture and most importantly I love football! Also the people seem friendly and a lot of Christians, I'm not a religious person but I tend to find people who are easier to be friends with. Finally, I think there is nothing more appealing to me than people who are down to earth and real which means Europe is probably not for me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Heteronym)
    Brazilian here, too.

You might find this helpful: http://www.braziliangringo.com/26-gringos-love-brazil/

Obviously, the situations of tourists and residents are VERY different, especially in big cities such as Rio and São Paulo. There is a lot more to Brazil than just those two, but that really depends on your personal tastes. As an incredible big country, you can find anything here: European-like cities, german cities, portuguese cities, italian cities, financial cities, sunny cities, etc.

Are you planing to come alone? Have you done some research on your possible destinations?

Feel free to ask
    Never met anyone else who is in love with the country like me. Hopefully that'll change when I go through uni! I've grown up in the countryside and there's nothing I'd rather than move to a city, I guess I'd like Rio but not too fussy yet.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    My friend spent two years living in Manaus. She hated it. She said the damp warm weather was horrible. Lots of creepy crawlies. She didn't like the food. There was a shooting on her street. She said that the people there have very different values than what they have here. For example, they think it's cool if someone has one sip of beer, or something like that. (she went to secondary school there)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lara5)
    Hey, I'm from Brazil! I've been living in the UK for the past 9 years, but I can remember my home country pretty well.. I guess!
    What would you like to know? Let me see... People in Brazil are usually very friendly. That's what makes most tourists want to stay and live there permanently.
    Minimum wage in Brazil is ridiculously low, so most working/middle class people work 2 jobs.
    What else...? Oh, Brazilians are very emotional! They'll usually value relationships more than rules/laws.
    If you have any questions just give me a shout!
    I guess I'm just looking for people who are friendly and wise and respectful. No one like all of that in england, no one that I've met anyway! Any people like that in Brazil? A lot?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jadoreétudier)
    For example, they think it's cool if someone has one sip of beer, or something like that. (she went to secondary school there)
    Just one sip? In my high school people thought it was cool if you drank a whole crate of beer not just have a sip.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FormerlyHistoryStudent)
    I've been to Brazil. I was in Rio for 3 weeks, and then went to a few other places before carrying on into Bolivia. I absolutely loved it. What kind of things do you want to know?
    What struck you about country while you were there from a British point of view, if you are British?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Swanbow)
    Just one sip? In my high school people thought it was cool if you drank a whole crate of beer not just have a sip.
    Haha, in my school it's school if you drink Buckfast, Pulse, Vodka straight. Yes, getting a bit off topic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jadoreétudier)
    My friend spent two years living in Manaus. She hated it. She said the damp warm weather was horrible. Lots of creepy crawlies. She didn't like the food. There was a shooting on her street. She said that the people there have very different values than what they have here. For example, they think it's cool if someone has one sip of beer, or something like that. (she went to secondary school there)
    To be fair, I would have hated Manaus too. The whether is horrible (just like you said) and it's isolated from the rest of the country.

There are a lot of different regions in Brazil, so you can never listen to one story. I particulary like the South (cloudy colder whether, higher standards of living, beautiful people), but that's just me. I guess it's more "european", so for someone looking for a change it might not be the most exciting thing.

From what I've read of brits in Brazil, they usually go to SP and Rio, to less extent. In the Southeast I would vouch for Belo Horizonte.

Brazilians are descibred as friendly and more socially open than the rest of the world, but it's not an exact data. One most obviously come here for a week or two, try to integrate with the brazilian society and then start to think about moving.

Engineers are very sought after with the country growing and with a shortage of qualified engineers. Since 2011 Brazil has been receiving a lot of portuguese people, and most of them are employed as engineers. You should check out how to revalidate your degree in order for it to be accepted in Brazil (for example, a brazilian engineer must be registered with a "engineer council" before he can start working). Nevertheless, a lot of english speaking foreigners work as english teachers in São Paulo, so that might be a good way to start.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goldenforever)
    I guess I'm just looking for people who are friendly and wise and respectful. No one like all of that in england, no one that I've met anyway! Any people like that in Brazil? A lot?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well, you'll find people you like and people you dislike anywhere in the world really... but as a general rule I'd say that most Brazilians are friendly.
    Honestly, they'll do whatever it takes for you to feel at home.
    I can't speak for the whole country, but at least where I come from (Sao Paulo) you can certainly find friendly, wise and respectful people! Sao Paulo is absolutely packed with immigrants, mostly Italians, Portuguese, Spanish, American and Japanese.
    Just try to imagine a BIG city, with all these different nationalities, a subtropical weather, and some amazing beaches for you to visit on the weekends!
    There will always be pros and cons to whatever you decide to do...

ReputationRep:
    I'm in love with everything about the country, the culture and most importantly I love football! Also the people seem friendly and a lot of Christians, I'm not a religious person but I tend to find people who are easier to be friends with. Finally, I think there is nothing more appealing to me than people who are down to earth and real which means Europe is probably not for me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's good that you're passionate about it. But you really have to visit the place to really know what it's like. It's very different to Europe, in almost every way. The people can be more friendly yes, but also there are bad, rude people just like there are everywhere.

Many people have this dream idea of Brazil; the beaches, barbecues and women, but when they move they find it much more difficult and often don't like it.

Not saying that's always what happens, many people do like it, but I'm just saying that at the moment you're in love with the idea of the place, and you'd really need to visit and keep a very open mind before deciding you wanted to move permanently.

ReputationRep:
    What struck you about country while you were there from a British point of view, if you are British?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I thought it was very beautiful, though that didn't stop me noticing the poverty and crime in places too. I still loved the place overall though. You absolutely must have a meal at a churrascaria in Rio - had one of the best meals in my entire life there! Another thing you must do in Rio (so long as you don't have a fear of heights) is go hang gliding. In fact there's loads of things I recommend you do/ see in Rio - I was there for 3 weeks and when I left there were still plenty of things I hadn't had time to to do or see. Tbh I'd recommend every place I went to in Brazil...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FormerlyHistoryStudent)
    I thought it was very beautiful, though that didn't stop me noticing the poverty and crime in places too. I still loved the place overall though. You absolutely must have a meal at a churrascaria in Rio - had one of the best meals in my entire life there! Another thing you must do in Rio (so long as you don't have a fear of heights) is go hang gliding. In fact there's loads of things I recommend you do/ see in Rio - I was there for 3 weeks and when I left there were still plenty of things I hadn't had time to to do or see. Tbh I'd recommend every place I went to in Brazil...
    Are all people as friendly as they say in Rio?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lara5)
    Well, you'll find people you like and people you dislike anywhere in the world really... but as a general rule I'd say that most Brazilians are friendly.
    Honestly, they'll do whatever it takes for you to feel at home.
    I can't speak for the whole country, but at least where I come from (Sao Paulo) you can certainly find friendly, wise and respectful people! Sao Paulo is absolutely packed with immigrants, mostly Italians, Portuguese, Spanish, American and Japanese.
    Just try to imagine a BIG city, with all these different nationalities, a subtropical weather, and some amazing beaches for you to visit on the weekends!
    There will always be pros and cons to whatever you decide to do...
    Is there any parts of brazil i should probably avoid? I always advise people that they wouldnt like manchester, glasgow or east london as some parts are quite dangerous.

ReputationRep:
    Are all people as friendly as they say in Rio?
    Yes they seemed so. Be careful though for people who approach you in the street and seem really friendly - they could be conmen who are providing a distraction for partners in crime to rob you. This happens in most countries though, not just Brazil.

ReputationRep:
    Is there any parts of brazil i should probably avoid? I always advise people that they wouldnt like manchester, glasgow or east london as some parts are quite dangerous.
    Dunno about areas of Brazil as a whole, but I wouldn't advise going to favelas in any city unless you're with a guide, and in Rio (and probably Salvador as well) don't walk along the beach alone at night. Try not to take any valuables with you to the beach, too.

I've been to Manchester lots of times and would definitely recommend it to people. Just because a place has some bad areas, doesn't mean the rest of it should be advised against!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.