Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Okay this is kinda long- apologies!

I'm really concerned about not choosing the right career for myself and ending up not having the future I've worked for. Therefore I've found what careers interest me the most which I am also able to meet the entry requirements for and have written a little explanation as to why each one interests me.. here we go....

Physiotherapy: I have a strong interest in human biology and really enjoy studying it. I am aware that biology is a relevant and really useful subject in physio and it also involves helping people. What i am worried about is I'm not really very sporty and never enjoyed PE in high school (might have had something to do with the fact I didn't like my teachers) .. does physiotherapy require you to have a sporty and active background? Overall I really want to do this career because of how interesting it is and how rewarding it is after helping people restore their health and make the best of life!
    Midwifery: This has got be one of the most rewarding careers, hasn't it? I would love to here what people think of this career, those who are either already working in it, training or have had experience. I think I'd love to go home after work and tell people that I delivered a baby, bringing a newborn into the world helping a family. Although i am aware that midwives have down days and this must be really hard to deal with! I am also interested in this career because it is sought of biology based (knowing about the body etc..).
    Vet Nursing: For as long as I can remember I have loved animals and wanted to do VetMed but I am devastated that I'm not really clever enough. Therefore, keeping in mind that I love animals I am considering BSc Veterinary Nursing (or maybe BSc Veterinary Nursing + Bio-veterinary Science at Bristol if possible) then maybe doing Vet Physio as a post graduate (maybe a bit early to think about that atm, lol). The main thing i'm unsure about in this career is the salary- I've been told over and over again that it is supposed to be awful for the work and stress the nurses must go through.

That is all Thank-you so much for reading this honestly i appreciate it so much and would love to have some advice on what i have stated above. I have considered so many careers as well as this (teaching, biology, nursing..) but i think it is probably going to be one of the above three. Are biology, chemistry, psychology and history ok at AS- not continuing with history.
    Thanks so much again and please leave me your answers to help me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x.BlueEyedGirl.x)
    Okay this is kinda long- apologies!

I'm really concerned about not choosing the right career for myself and ending up not having the future I've worked for. Therefore I've found what careers interest me the most which I am also able to meet the entry requirements for and have written a little explanation as to why each one interests me.. here we go....

Physiotherapy: I have a strong interest in human biology and really enjoy studying it. I am aware that biology is a relevant and really useful subject in physio and it also involves helping people. What i am worried about is I'm not really very sporty and never enjoyed PE in high school (might have had something to do with the fact I didn't like my teachers) .. does physiotherapy require you to have a sporty and active background? Overall I really want to do this career because of how interesting it is and how rewarding it is after helping people restore their health and make the best of life!
    Midwifery: This has got be one of the most rewarding careers, hasn't it? I would love to here what people think of this career, those who are either already working in it, training or have had experience. I think I'd love to go home after work and tell people that I delivered a baby, bringing a newborn into the world helping a family. Although i am aware that midwives have down days and this must be really hard to deal with! I am also interested in this career because it is sought of biology based (knowing about the body etc..).
    Vet Nursing: For as long as I can remember I have loved animals and wanted to do VetMed but I am devastated that I'm not really clever enough. Therefore, keeping in mind that I love animals I am considering BSc Veterinary Nursing (or maybe BSc Veterinary Nursing + Bio-veterinary Science at Bristol if possible) then maybe doing Vet Physio as a post graduate (maybe a bit early to think about that atm, lol). The main thing i'm unsure about in this career is the salary- I've been told over and over again that it is supposed to be awful for the work and stress the nurses must go through.

That is all Thank-you so much for reading this honestly i appreciate it so much and would love to have some advice on what i have stated above. I have considered so many careers as well as this (teaching, biology, nursing..) but i think it is probably going to be one of the above three. Are biology, chemistry, psychology and history ok at AS- not continuing with history.
    Thanks so much again and please leave me your answers to help me!
    hi

I dont know much about physio and midwifery, but I am currently doing the Fdsc in veterinary nursing. If you had your heart set on being vet, would you feel bad having to work so close to what you wanted? yes the pay is not great, but it is an amazing job and i personally would rather do something i enjoy than something i hate for amazing money if you have any questions about vet nursing ask away. My advice is to go with what you want to do, rather than going with a career because of money. The 3 poss careers you have chosen are all tough and so whichever job you end up doing there will be down days as with any job. are there any other careers at all that interest you?

Hope this helps a little

ReputationRep:
    I term of pay/salary a midwife and physio pay the same in the NHS however if going private out of the 3 a physio would earn the most. The nhs will fund certain courses There are hardly any jbs in Midwifery at present - I know students that qulaified 2 -3 years with no jobs or they have had to travel to another country.
    Vet Nursing try get some work experience in a vet - maybe difficult as most favour veterinary students not nursing - pay is rubbish but if you don't mind this good for it - there is a lot of competition for places.

If i was looking at it in terms of career progression and further options i,d go for physio. Have fun deciding but work experience is good to get a feel for a job you never know, all 3 might not be for you!

ReputationRep:
    Im also undecided about physio or midwifery! im thinking physio would be really difficult but have heard that it is so rewarding, you won't be able to be going out and 'enjoying' uni as much as your other friends thoo cuz of the workload and apparently there is a shortage of midwives at the moment so thats a plus for that, ive been looking for physio vacancies so i know if there will be jobs available at the end and there seems to be quite a lot of jobs in that too! it is a hard choice but im swaying more towards physio x

ReputationRep:
    There are jobs available in physio if you are willing to look outside of London, but if you want to go NHS in London the competition is fierce. I was a mature student studying physio so the nightlife didn't really bother me that much, but the teenagers on my course seemed to manage to go out plenty and get wasted. It is a hard course, but there is downtime.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by x.BlueEyedGirl.x)
    Hi, I can perhaps give you a little insight into vet nursing. As I have to do placement at vets I have often got on along well with the nurses and have chatted to them about their job. Equally, I have known many vet nurses who have left the profession for various reasons and I met them when I worked in other animal-related careers (9-5 jobs caring for animals). The ones who are still enjoying their work enjoy working with animals, making a difference to them, and the variety they get in their job. The downsides that some have reported to me is: unsociable hours and a pay packet that doesn't reflect the hours you have to do, not feeling appreciated by vets/the public. It is a minimum wage job, unless you are a head nurse, but it depends if money motivates you or if this is something you would really enjoy above all else.

To be a vet physio I think you have to do physiotherapy as a degree, not vet nursing, before you convert to vet physio. Some have found the conversion training to be cost prohibitive straight after graduation.

You best bet is to go to all these different places and get some work experience to help you decide what you do.

ReputationRep:
    To be a vet physio which is what i want to be you can either become a human physio and do special training or you can become a vet nurse/surgeon get experience then apply for the Msc Veterinary Physio, it is expensive from what i,ve read.

ReputationRep:
    Thank-you to everyone who has replied! I have become a lot more interested in Physio with thanks to your advice and exploring different areas of the profession.
    Thanks to all

ReputationRep:
    Hi!
    I was exactly the same as you 2 years ago not really knowing what to do but loving animals. I too wanted to be a vet but unfortuantely didnt do well in A levels. I am now doing a degree in Zoology (The study of animals) And after that you can go to a University in Poland or Slovak which teaches in english just with a pass in your degree and they dont look at your a levels. It may be something to consider
    However Vet physiotherapy is awesome especially out and about all day
    personally id advice you to go with animals as if you have a passion for them, it wont seem as "work" which is what I have found out

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.