Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys. I'm a complete noob when it's comes to sat navs! Does anyone know any good ones from personal experience? Ideal features should include voice directions and free map downloads (speed limit info on roads is preferred but not compulsory) And a decent battery - 2 to 3 hours. Budget around £125, thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Get one with life time maps.

It's like £70 to update the maps on a Sat Nav elsewise.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...egoryId_165685

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the suggestion. Had a quick flick through and it looks good, anyone else have any suggestions/views?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I use my phone, galaxy S3 with Google maps - free, updated regularly, the navigation is fantastic. Only cost me £20 for a windscreen holder and charger! Alternatively there's an app called NavFree which is available on Android and iOS, that's also really good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jack7Richards)
    I use my phone, galaxy S3 with Google maps - free, updated regularly, the navigation is fantastic. Only cost me £20 for a windscreen holder and charger! Alternatively there's an app called NavFree which is available on Android and iOS, that's also really good.
    Do you still have to put the address in by voice?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NC)
    Hey guys. I'm a complete noob when it's comes to sat navs! Does anyone know any good ones from personal experience? Ideal features should include voice directions and free map downloads (speed limit info on roads is preferred but not compulsory) And a decent battery - 2 to 3 hours. Budget around £125, thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I would agree with tomtom.............some phones can be pretty decent, but always carry a back up map just in case of traffic or issues

Also battery shouldn't be an issue, just hook up to the cigarette lighter

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Camoxide)
    Do you still have to put the address in by voice?
    No, you've always been able to type in the address, well, I have been able to do that, for the last 2 years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jack7Richards)
    No, you've always been able to type in the address, well, I have been able to do that, for the last 2 years.
    With my mates Galaxy S2 and my mums you could only get turn by turn directions if you put the address in by voice if using Google maps this was when the S2 was new though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Camoxide)
    With my mates Galaxy S2 and my mums you could only get turn by turn directions if you put the address in by voice if using Google maps this was when the S2 was new though.
    Google Maps directions can be typed in on my Motorola Defy too, although it tries to direct you to speak them instead, they can be typed. The problem with it is though that even though the interface and update speed are much quicker than my 5 year old Garmin, after 15 minutes or so it starts locking up and losing its place. I get an upgrade in July though, so I hope maps will run better on my new phone. In the meantime my trusty Garmin will keep me in full knowledge of where I am.

ReputationRep:
    I may invest in the tomtom start 25m due to the map updates. I'd rather have a dedicated sat Nav unit rather than using my mobile phone. I also saw it on the argos website for the same price, £100 - unless anyone can suggest a sat Nav which is more value for money!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Another vote for the tomtom, by far the highest rated satnav on the market.

ReputationRep:
    Tom toms pretty good if you don't have a smartphone.

If you have a smartphone and internet connection, I'd say save your money and just get a 12v charger and phone holder.

Google Navigation on Android was pretty good but you need an internet connection to get the map data before you set off. Should be fine if its for UK uses only, was pretty reliable with my Moto Atrix. Theres quite a few other satnav apps too.

If you have an iPhone you could get the Tom Tom app which is offline I heard, so you don't need an internet connection before you set off and has lifetime map updates and speed limit info. Theres also a Garmin sat nav app. Plenty of choice.

If you have a Nokia Windows Phone like me, you get Nokia drive for free which is a pretty awesome offline sat nav app. Used it to get me from Manchester to Cambridge to Southampton and back, pretty reliable and accurate with Speed Limit info and beeps if you're over the limit (can be turned off). It also has quite a lot of languages for voice that can be downloaded for free, as far as I know you get free maps updates for free.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maes Seren)
    Another vote for the tomtom, by far the highest rated satnav on the market.
    I wouldn't say that at all. Garmin and Tom Tom are pretty similar in terms of market share. I personally love my Garmin and it's lasted me four years faultlessly, and it was second hand when I bought it. Garmin still supports firmware/map updates for it even now - the base model in the range very much out of date. I prefer the aesthetics of Garmin models too, Tom Toms look a bit toyish to me. I used to sell both brands in both Halfords and Currys and Tom Tom certainly weren't sold in any serious numbers more than Garmin.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone have any other suggestions? Or do people think the TomTom Start 25M is a good sat Nav to start with?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.