Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys I was just wondering whether anyone studies drama here? It's one of my main options along with bristol old vic which is a long shot but one I'm willing to take! Just wondering if it is actually good, what's it like down bristol? And what accommodations like?

ReputationRep:
    A drama degree from a University is a different course to an acting course at a Drama School.

The fact that you dont have to audition for a Uni degree course gives it away - it doesnt train you to be a performer so they arent fussed f you can act or not, because this course is the academic study of drama as a subject, not a training course for the theatre.

A Drama School will teach you the practical skills needed to be a performer - everything from voice classes to stage fighting - and to a professional standard. Agents and theatre directors come to Drama School final shows - they dont go anywhere near the equivalent performances for Drama degrees at Universities.

You need to work out if you want to study Drama as an academic subject (like English Literature with some contextual performance thrown in) or if you want to train to work in professional theatre.
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Lakey2012)
    Hi guys I was just wondering whether anyone studies drama here? It's one of my main options along with bristol old vic which is a long shot but one I'm willing to take! Just wondering if it is actually good, what's it like down bristol? And what accommodations like?

There seems to be quite a strong element of practical work throughout the degree at Bristol though. Yes, it is more academic than going to drama school might be, but it seems clear from the facilities alone, that there is plenty of opportunity for practical work.

ReputationRep:
    I should be able to give you a fairly decent insight into Bristol Drama as I'm currently a first year Drama student.

returnmigrant is right: Bristol is no acting school. However, threeportdrift is equally correct that it is highly practical based. The idea is to give you a well-rounded knowledge of Drama: directing, production roles, critically analysing etc. Some of this will be 'academic', some practical. I'd say roughly 50-50.

Theatre, Film & Television
    It's also worth noting that the course is as much about 'Film and Television' as it is 'theatre'. Hopefully this shouldn't put you off, as the Film and Television units are fascinating, well taught and useful: but if strictly theatre is your thing then take that into account.
    In first year, one term is dedicated to Theatre, the other to film/television. Second and Third year give you a choice of units to pick from, meaning you can go more into areas you are interested in. However, in second year at least you can not completely do theatre or completely do film/tv.

Acting
    You'll learn plenty of skills based around acting in these two areas (although much of it in a directing context), as well as technical skills (for theatre: lighting, costume, set, stage management etc.; for film: camera, editing etc.). While there's a lot of acting to be done, you'll never be marked on it.
    Regardless of how much acting you do in class, there's always plenty to do extra-curricularly. There are always at least 3 plays going on at one time, so that'll keep you busy.

Do let me know if you have any questions - specific or general - and I'll do my best to help!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the information guys it was really helpful! Jake what's bristol like as a town, and do you stay in accommodation? Uni's such a hard decision! I thought it would be easy hahahaha!

ReputationRep:
    Bristol is a fabulous place to be a student.

Lots going on, great music scene, great pubs, lots of theatre/comedy etc, and VERY much cheaper and far nicer than living somewhere enormous like London.

http://www.guide2bristol.com/information_about_Bristol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lakey2012)
    Thanks for the information guys it was really helpful! Jake what's bristol like as a town, and do you stay in accommodation? Uni's such a hard decision! I thought it would be easy hahahaha!
    Hi Lakey - sorry for the late reply! Bristol is a wonderful city - it's got a lot of culture and stuff going on which is the main thing that separates it from other cities its size: lots of street art (Banksy and most of the top street artists are from here) and music stuff going on. Otherwise it's just like any other city: good shops, good feeling, friendly locals, good nightlife (clubs, pubs and bars alike) etc. The best thing is the size: large enough to be interesting, but actually a lot smaller than you might expect which is a good thing: its nice to have everything in walking distance.

And yeah, I'm in Churchill Halls in Stoke Bishop (I'd highly recommend a hall in Stoke Bishop if you come). I love it! Bristol people are friendly and fun which is the important thing! But I'm sure that's the same in any uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by himynameisjake)
    Hi Lakey - sorry for the late reply! Bristol is a wonderful city - it's got a lot of culture and stuff going on which is the main thing that separates it from other cities its size: lots of street art (Banksy and most of the top street artists are from here) and music stuff going on. Otherwise it's just like any other city: good shops, good feeling, friendly locals, good nightlife (clubs, pubs and bars alike) etc. The best thing is the size: large enough to be interesting, but actually a lot smaller than you might expect which is a good thing: its nice to have everything in walking distance.

And yeah, I'm in Churchill Halls in Stoke Bishop (I'd highly recommend a hall in Stoke Bishop if you come). I love it! Bristol people are friendly and fun which is the important thing! But I'm sure that's the same in any uni.
    I'm coming down in June for the open day so I'm going to make sure I test everything out, because right now it is where I've got my heart set on! I was looking at Churchill only thing is because its catered it puts me off a little but then it will be easier aswell? hahaha! I've heard its quite hard to get onto the drama course though?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.