Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can I sit on the bench and do nothing? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I only recently started the gym, prior I worked out alone in my cold, dark and damp garage, it is essentially a cave.

I heard all these people complain about 'sitting on machines' 'resting on benches' etc

I workout so I do one thing for x sets, then move on. At home I just sat on the bench until my rest time was over and started. At the gym I would get up, but because the gym is so small, there is no where I can go that wouldn't seem odd, in other words, I'd be invading someone's space or generally looking creepy that I am standing close by doing nothing.

I end up just standing close by to the bench and don't take the weights off and no one ever tries to use it.

So is it ok to sit on the bench while resting.

ReputationRep:
    No

ReputationRep:
    I'd say it's ok between sets but not after you've finished using something entirely.
    Also if someone asks to use it while you rest you should agree.

ReputationRep:
    Why the **** do you sit down when training, stay standing brah.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah fine between sets, if anything I'd think someone getting up and standing about between sets was weirder personally. Either before you start or after you're finished not so much though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jono404)
    Yeah fine between sets, if anything I'd think someone getting up and standing about between sets was weirder personally. Either before you start or after you're finished not so much though.
    From what the OP said, it sounds like he hogs the bench for resting not training.

ReputationRep:
    If the gym is packed then don't but if it's 10am then you might as well tbh.

ReputationRep:
    between sets its fine to sit on the bench to rest. once youve finished using the bench or piece of equipment in question then its time to move.

ReputationRep:
    The lat pulldown is my favourite machine to sit on between sets of squats!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.