Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys. Got an offer for med at keele. Very keen cyclist and want to take my bike down. Its a pretty expensive bike though, are the lockable cycle cages outside accommodation secure enough?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lucky20)
    Hey guys. Got an offer for med at keele. Very keen cyclist and want to take my bike down. Its a pretty expensive bike though, are the lockable cycle cages outside accommodation secure enough?
    You might get a better response in the Keele university forum: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=120

Just a suggestion!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YThursday)
    You might get a better response in the Keele university forum: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=120

Just a suggestion!
    I've moved this there

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lucky20)
    I can't say completely because I don't have a bike at keele, but I'd be wary. We've had quite a few emails from security over the year about bike thefts, and a lot of people have reported seeing people with boltcutters hanging around the area... despite this, I've never actually met anyone who's had their bike stolen though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    hi i'm a medic too. keele campus is a nice environment to cycle in but as the uni is up on the hills, it can be a uphill struggle for some! campus is generally safe.

i've had my bike for 2 years on campus (note it's a cheap one so that probably explains why) and didn't have problems with it. the msot common reason why bikes get stolen is becuz ppl don't afford sturdy bike locks so make sure you get good ones. even bikes "locked" outside the library are not spared!

if i were you i would just bring a cheap bike. the cycle cages are generally safe because they register students who use the shed and hafta pay a deposit.

hope that helps and enjoy keele!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Catchetat)
    hi i'm a medic too. keele campus is a nice environment to cycle in but as the uni is up on the hills, it can be a uphill struggle for some! campus is generally safe.

i've had my bike for 2 years on campus (note it's a cheap one so that probably explains why) and didn't have problems with it. the msot common reason why bikes get stolen is becuz ppl don't afford sturdy bike locks so make sure you get good ones. even bikes "locked" outside the library are not spared!

if i were you i would just bring a cheap bike. the cycle cages are generally safe because they register students who use the shed and hafta pay a deposit.

hope that helps and enjoy keele!
    Hey thanks for the heads up. Its not a super expensive bike, but it did cost £270 which is a lot for me lol. I have a kryptonite d lock and a cable lock for the wheels also. So it should be ok all being well.

ReputationRep:
    yes use 2 locks!

ReputationRep:
    I don't know which accommodation you are looking at, but my mate was in Lindsey (ensuite) in his first year, and he kept a road bike and his mountain bike frame in his room, with space to spare. Like obviously it would be better to keep your bike outside, but if you're precious about your bikes (I think his were worth £1000+ together), then there is space to keep them in your room. You'd have to take it out when your room is scheduled for cleaning though, because I don't imagine they'd allow that.

But as mentioned above, there are people that take bikes on campus, like most places, but you can prevent that by getting a decent lock (D-locks are best apparently), and making notes/photos of your frame number if its recovered at a later date, plus getting it registered at immobilise.com and marking it with a UV pen (which Staffordshire police have given out at freshers fairs over the last few years).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greenfly125)
    I don't know which accommodation you are looking at, but my mate was in Liberty Court (ensuite) in his first year, and he kept a road bike and his mountain bike frame in his room, with space to spare. Like obviously it would be better to keep your bike outside, but if you're precious about your bikes (I think his were worth £1000+ together), then there is space to keep them in your room. You'd have to take it out when your room is scheduled for cleaning though, because I don't imagine they'd allow that.

But as mentioned above, there are people that take bikes on campus, like most places, but you can prevent that by getting a decent lock (D-locks are best apparently), and making notes/photos of your frame number if its recovered at a later date, plus getting it registered at immobilise.com and marking it with a UV pen (which Staffordshire police have given out at freshers fairs over the last few years).
    Liberty Court isn't actually on campus though, and there's nowhere near enough room for a bike in Lindsay Court, so if you actually get a campus room I don't think keeping it inside would necessarily be feasible.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SaySaam)
    Liberty Court isn't actually on campus though, and there's nowhere near enough room for a bike in Lindsay Court, so if you actually get a campus room I don't think keeping it inside would necessarily be feasible.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not Liberty, sorry, I always get confused. Lindsey en-suite has the space for a bike, depending on how much room you want to live in, and how precious you are about your bikes.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.