Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

I have the Casio Calculator model - fx-991ES PLUS model. Through button bashing on my calculator I have discovered how to calculate probabilities such as P(Z<2.12) and P(-1.57<Z<1.57).

I am asking if anyone knows how to calculate the constant 'a' on calculators that can do this function; for questions such as P(Z>a)=0.0287 and P(-a<Z<a) = 0.582

To do the normal distribution questions as stated in the paragraph for P(Z<2.12) etc. for my calculator, go on - mode/stat/1(1-VAR)/AC/SHIFT 5 (distr) and then either choose 'p','q','r' accordingly. If I helped anyone out in this great.

Can anyone please help me find a way to do this for the variable 'a?' Thanks in advance for your replies

ReputationRep:
    Such a function isn't available on that model. You can try using the Newton-Raphson method to calculate inverse functions, if the calculator supports numerical derivatives and you know that method. Otherwise, it's best to use the tables anyway.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.