Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Anyone feel depressed on birthdays? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm normally a very emotionally stable person but when it comes to my birthday i become an emotional mess. I tell people that my birthday isn't a big deal and I don't like bragging about it but when it comes to the day I just loose it. This year I cried over a lost birthday card? I love my family and I know they try but they're always so busy with their own lives that they don't always have time to make an effort and just give me cash which I feel is so impersonal I would rather they spent time choosing things I might like for like 1/10 of what cash I get. Or when that special someone doesn't wish you always gets me down but in any normal circumstance I would be unaffected. I just somehow always feel lonely.. Is there something about this day that gets me so overemotional? Anyone feel like this?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    I really dislike my birthdays and, every year, I tell people to ignore it or just give me a card but it never happens. I'm not a big lover of attention so hate opening cards and presents infront of people. Also, every year I get harrassed by 'friends' to go out on the piss when they know I'm not that sort of person anymore. They make out like its for me to have a good night, but it's not, it's just an excuse for them to get slaughtered.

Infact, I disliked my 21st so much, I spent most of it in my room crying. People trying to organise a party for me, being told where I was going, who I was going with and what time I was going. I'm suprised I didn't get told what I could have to eat.

ReputationRep:
    I sometimes feel really upset and lonely when it's my birthday too. It's because in most families they invite their gran, cousins etc over and have a really huge family party and then have another party with friends (sometimes they combine them too). My family live in another country, so it's just me and my mum. When I wake up, I literally just open my presents (this probably sounds really spoiled but I'll not get much because they're from my mum and we don't have a lot of money. I think it's the fact that I only get presents from my mum, on my actual birthday anyway, that makes me feel lonier) get a happy birthday from my mum and the day continues as normal. I do sometimes cry because I feel so lonely - like, birthdays are meant to be a day of celebration but my mum's gone to Morrison's to do the shopping and I'm sat alone staring at the TV. I don't really get calls from my family either. What made it better last year was that we went out for dinner with my best friend which made me really happy. Perhaps in the evening you could celebrate with some of your close friends, so you have something to look forward to?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eventidexc)
    I sometimes feel really upset and lonely when it's my birthday too. It's because in most families they invite their gran, cousins etc over and have a really huge family party and then have another party with friends (sometimes they combine them too). My family live in another country, so it's just me and my mum. When I wake up, I literally just open my presents (this probably sounds really spoiled but I'll not get much because they're from my mum and we don't have a lot of money. I think it's the fact that I only get presents from my mum, on my actual birthday anyway, that makes me feel lonier) get a happy birthday from my mum and the day continues as normal. I do sometimes cry because I feel so lonely - like, birthdays are meant to be a day of celebration but my mum's gone to Morrison's to do the shopping and I'm sat alone staring at the TV. I don't really get calls from my family either. What made it better last year was that we went out for dinner with my best friend which made me really happy. Perhaps in the evening you could celebrate with some of your close friends, so you have something to look forward to?

I totally get what you mean! My extended family rarely visit us so I feel like noone apart from my immediate family care about it..
    Yeah my parents have busy lives so they only get the evening so they hate me going out with friends on my actual birthday so I normally go out the next day but by then my birthdays over.. :/

ReputationRep:
    It's my 20th birthday on Sunday, I have celebrated the past 2 years, but honestly, I don't see the big deal in birthdays. Even as a kid my family only celebrated birthdays a few times, I suppose that may be a reason why I'm not that bothered. I will actually be doing coursework this weekend haha, which may sound depressing but i'm not that fussed.

Try not to expect too much but try going out with some friends, for a meal, to a club, enjoy yourself

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kwanzee)
    It's my 20th birthday on Sunday, I have celebrated the past 2 years, but honestly, I don't see the big deal in birthdays. Even as a kid my family only celebrated birthdays a few times, I suppose that may be a reason why I'm not that bothered. I will actually be doing coursework this weekend haha, which may sound depressing but i'm not that fussed.

Try not to expect too much but try going out with some friends, for a meal, to a club, enjoy yourself
    Happy birthday!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Future-doc)
    Happy birthday!
    haha well thankyou ! rep for you !

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    yes

ReputationRep:
    I've just never really liked the attention, and the pressure I usually feel to do something worthwhile. I wouldn't say it depresses me though, i'm just happy to get it out of the way. Happy to live it as if it were any other day.

ReputationRep:
    I tend to simply enjoy my birthday rather than think of the negatives. I just go out with friends or something, never feel depressed though.

ReputationRep:
    I really love my birthday but can see how it could feel lonely especially if you don't get the chance to see family. Why not use the money to treat yourself to a really special day out doing something you really want to do but can't usually afford. If no one bothers with making me a birthday cake, I like to have a go at making my own then invite people round for cake.

ReputationRep:
    all the times!
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    You tell people it isnt a big deal then are upset when they dont bother with your birthday much? The lost card is something nobody can help (except royal mail). The rest you brought on yourself. Try saying what you mean.

ReputationRep:
    I only feel depressed at the end when I realise I'll have to wait another 365 days till my next birthday.

ReputationRep:
    You people are crying because you are sad or overwhelmed with joy that there is someone who actually cares to celebrate the day you were born into this world?

ReputationRep:
    Yes I totally agree, I feel so awkward on birthdays and am not sure how to go about receiving presents and such

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cll_ws)
    I've just never really liked the attention, and the pressure I usually feel to do something worthwhile. I wouldn't say it depresses me though, i'm just happy to get it out of the way. Happy to live it as if it were any other day.
    Exactly , the whole " Birthday Hype " thing faded away for me in early teens to be honest , I just want to get it out of the way . Ive never been the type to lavish being the center of attention either , i'd much rather be part of the crowd , maybe its just because im a boring individual .The cash I sometimes get is the sole reason I look forward to it.

ReputationRep:
    I know exactly what you mean. I used to get depressed a lot,I always felt awkward opening presents and getting a lot of attention. But then again if I didn't get any of this,I would get very upset.

Its this whole thing about thinking that my birthday is the most special day of the year and then having really high expectations for it ! So this year I tried not to think of it like that and more like just another day so that way I'm not disappointed.

ReputationRep:
    Why not make a big deal out if it? I mean, it's my birthday it's MY day. I'm not insecure like you OP so attention is welcome for me.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.