Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    My last A-level exam is on the 20th June and I don't start university til late September so I need something to do!

I really don't mind what I do alongs I get out of the UK (for at least some of the holidays!) I don't have much cash as i'm not working atm and there's no point trying to get a job this close to my exams. I'm getting a grand released from my inheritance so that's all my money.

I have experience working in a bar as I was a Christmas temp in a bar/club and i've got 18 months working in a coffee shop. I'm also a guide leader so i've got experience with kids- maybe working in a camp?

My friend is willing to travel with me where ever as she's got 7 grand saved up (obviously, I can't be a crazy as her). I don't mind travelling on my own so If I can get a job and she can't then meets me later that's cool.

Has anyone ever travelled on such a low budget before?

Thanks,

A.

(Also, it's really late so I know that most of that essay doesn't make sense)

ReputationRep:
    bump.

ReputationRep:
    You kinda need to decide what you want to do, travel to different places, or just go away somewhere for a few weeks? I'm sure you could find somewhere around Europe to go for 2 or 3 weeks for £1000. I haven't traveled on that budget or to many places at a time so can't really suggest anywhere.

ReputationRep:
    You could get a WHV to somewhere like Oceania, Canada, the USA or Europe and play around in one of those placesdoing bar work? baring in mind the seasons if you have any knowledge of skiing orwinter sports oceania would be perfect.

ReputationRep:
    I would seriously recommend saving a nice amount of that grand into your savings for a rainy day and not to blow it. Maybe go on holiday to a European destination on easyjet with friends for a couple of weeks! Enjoy

ReputationRep:
    3 months on 1k would be pretty tight, even with jobs...especially if you've got flights to take care of.

Why not go on a eurotrip for a month or so, and save anything left?
    1k for a month should be a pretty decent trip.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annuhlees)
    My last A-level exam is on the 20th June and I don't start university til late September so I need something to do!

I really don't mind what I do alongs I get out of the UK (for at least some of the holidays!) I don't have much cash as i'm not working atm and there's no point trying to get a job this close to my exams. I'm getting a grand released from my inheritance so that's all my money.

I have experience working in a bar as I was a Christmas temp in a bar/club and i've got 18 months working in a coffee shop. I'm also a guide leader so i've got experience with kids- maybe working in a camp?

My friend is willing to travel with me where ever as she's got 7 grand saved up (obviously, I can't be a crazy as her). I don't mind travelling on my own so If I can get a job and she can't then meets me later that's cool.

Has anyone ever travelled on such a low budget before?

Thanks,

A.

(Also, it's really late so I know that most of that essay doesn't make sense)
    If you're a Guide leader, have you thought about volunteering at any of the World Centres? AFAIK they all take on volunteers to help out with the programme activities and looking after the guests, though I'm not sure what the age limit is. I spent a winter at Our Chalet a long time ago and had a fantastic time, and another friend of mine did a summer season at Our Cabana. It's hard work, but really good fun, you get free food and board and I think a bit of pocket money too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    If you're a Guide leader, have you thought about volunteering at any of the World Centres? AFAIK they all take on volunteers to help out with the programme activities and looking after the guests, though I'm not sure what the age limit is. I spent a winter at Our Chalet a long time ago and had a fantastic time, and another friend of mine did a summer season at Our Cabana. It's hard work, but really good fun, you get free food and board and I think a bit of pocket money too.
    I've just looked and for this summer I would of had to of applied by October/December. It's a really good suggestion as it would of been perfect!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annuhlees)
    I've just looked and for this summer I would of had to of applied by October/December. It's a really good suggestion as it would of been perfect!
    It might be worth contacting some of them and seeing if there are still vacancies - I got into mine well after the official closing date. You could also have a look and see if there are any big international camps/jamborees going on, and volunteer as service team; it's shorter term work but you still get to meet lots of people and do something worthwhile. Or how about something like Camp America? (though I admit I don't know when their deadlines are).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.