Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Is it just me? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Or is the whole issue with welfare benefit changes from the Conservative government more a case of PR mismanagement than anything anyone should actually be personally concerned about?

To give you some personal background, I voted Labour at the last election, and will at the next election, but I can sense my views are becoming more right-wing as the prospect of looking for employment after uni looms.

But to me, the welfare benefits disaster is centred largely around PR mismanagement, specifically the bedroom tax and the chap from Durham who claimed he had £53 a week to live off and Iain Duncan Smith said he could live off £53 a week.

To be honest, if you ask me the £53 a week thing is nonsense. I highly doubt this man is living off £53 a week. I have minimum wage friends, working standard 40 hour weeks who are perfectly well off, even if they have no kids etc. Even if this man does, what's so wrong with working a 50 hour week instead, say 8-6? Tonnes of people work more, and this generates £70 more per week roughly at minimum wage.

Of course, the Tories made themselves look like wealthy bullies with the statements that IDS and Osbourne came out with after, but is it really that bad? I think its more turning into a witch hunt, and as much as I normally oppose Conservative practices, I'm pretty sure that Labour wouldn't have done anything better other than perhaps managed the PR without looking like hypocritical toffs.

ReputationRep:
    You've actually made a sensible post. Your viewpoints tend to change once you start working and have to foot the bill for welfare

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MatureStudent36)
    You've actually made a sensible post. Your viewpoints tend to change once you start working and have to foot the bill for welfare
    Looool how true it is!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theguv92)
    Or is the whole issue with welfare benefit changes from the Conservative government more a case of PR mismanagement than anything anyone should actually be personally concerned about?

To give you some personal background, I voted Labour at the last election, and will at the next election, but I can sense my views are becoming more right-wing as the prospect of looking for employment after uni looms.

But to me, the welfare benefits disaster is centred largely around PR mismanagement, specifically the bedroom tax and the chap from Durham who claimed he had £53 a week to live off and Iain Duncan Smith said he could live off £53 a week.

To be honest, if you ask me the £53 a week thing is nonsense. I highly doubt this man is living off £53 a week. I have minimum wage friends, working standard 40 hour weeks who are perfectly well off, even if they have no kids etc. Even if this man does, what's so wrong with working a 50 hour week instead, say 8-6? Tonnes of people work more, and this generates £70 more per week roughly at minimum wage.

Of course, the Tories made themselves look like wealthy bullies with the statements that IDS and Osbourne came out with after, but is it really that bad? I think its more turning into a witch hunt, and as much as I normally oppose Conservative practices, I'm pretty sure that Labour wouldn't have done anything better other than perhaps managed the PR without looking like hypocritical toffs.
    You aren't the only one. I do wonder how you will feel if you find yourself unemployed after graduation, though (I hope you don't, of course).

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Remember it was labour that removed the 10p tax rate!
    But the conservatives who took 3 million out of income tax lol!
    Remember JSA is in usually addition to housing benefit and council tax benefit too!

Plus they have the likes of Peter Mandelson and Alastair Campbell to manage PR for them!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MatureStudent36)
    People's view points tend to change once they have a bit of life experience, maybe have experienced redundancy, unemployment, ill health, the struggle of bringing up kids on a low income. Your view is still one of the spoilt middle class brat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a729)
    Remember it was labour that removed the 10p tax rate!
    But the conservatives who took 3 million out of income tax lol!
    Remember JSA is in usually addition to housing benefit and council tax benefit too!

Plus they have the likes of Peter Mandelson and Alastair Campbell to manage PR for them!
    Many people on JSA are now paying towards council tax.

ReputationRep:
    'A old man who doesn't vote to the right has no brain, the young man who doesn't vote to the left has no heart'

-Can't quite remember who said this

ReputationRep:
    yes , it is just you. lol ,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kibalchich)
    Many people on JSA are now paying towards council tax.
    But clearly nowhere near the full amount!

The council tax benefit acts as a discount!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rooster523)
    'A old man who doesn't vote to the right has no brain, the young man who doesn't vote to the left has no heart'

-Can't quite remember who said this
    Loool somewhat inaccurate- in the first part, some people are more rational than others lol!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kibalchich)
    People's view points tend to change once they have a bit of life experience, maybe have experienced redundancy, unemployment, ill health, the struggle of bringing up kids on a low income. Your view is still one of the spoilt middle class brat.
    Yeah I think thats kind of the point - look I acknowledge I'm middle class, but so is most of Britain these days. I live in one of the more deprived areas so have been traditionally brought up on Labour values, but having gone through the state education system, the same as any other working class child, got a strong law degree from a Russell Group uni with no inside contacts, or previous legal experience and worked my arse off to level the playing field with all the private school toffs that get everything handed to them on a plate, am I not entitled to start thinking that the money I earn I deserve to keep?

Im not against welfare benefits for single parents, who will clearly need financial support, but given I've worked solidly for the last decade to get where I want to be, having worked against the system put in place designed to reward the rich kids and screw over the state schoolers, don't I deserve not to be forced to help pay for the same kids who ****ed around, bullied my friends and can now offer no value to society in general?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I think thats kind of the point - look I acknowledge I'm middle class, but so is most of Britain these days. I live in one of the more deprived areas so have been traditionally brought up on Labour values, but having gone through the state education system, the same as any other working class child, got a strong law degree from a Russell Group uni with no inside contacts, or previous legal experience and worked my arse off to level the playing field with all the private school toffs that get everything handed to them on a plate, am I not entitled to start thinking that the money I earn I deserve to keep?

Im not against welfare benefits for single parents, who will clearly need financial support, but given I've worked solidly for the last decade to get where I want to be, having worked against the system put in place designed to reward the rich kids and screw over the state schoolers, don't I deserve not to be forced to help pay for the same kids who ****ed around, bullied my friends and can now offer no value to society in general?
    bubble

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.