Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've been interested in photography for a long time and a few months ago I finally bought my first DSLR. I always keep it with me at my halls and sometimes even take it to uni hoping for opportunities to get some great shots. Unfortunately I've not been as successful as I'd hoped.

Does anyone know of any photography related activities that exist in the area or are into photography themselves? It'd be great to meet people who have a similar interest in the nearby area.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Not exactly what you asked about but it might be useful: Im in a similar situation to you (wanted a camera for a while got one a few months ago)'ve been setting aside a few hours each week-end to go for a walk, that's a scenic as possible, with the only aim of taking pictures. So for example a walk which would normally take an hour ends up taking two or more, really taking the time to do everything correctly not rushing anything makes the pictures much better.
    I've also gone to a student sports match (easier to feel comfortable if you know someone there but not required) to take pictures of them, I'd recommend google imaging the sport first to give you an idea of where to good shots are taken from. I made the mistake of thinking that because I knew the sport relatively well I would know where to take pictures from.
    And otherwise you could try to find out if there are any student run plays in the area which might need someone to take some pictures for advertising which can lead to some very nice pictures (You'd probably have to go to the dress rehearsal).

These are the things I've done in the little over three months I've owned the camera and this is the result:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/ (no volleyball photos as they're all pretty rubbish)

Otherwise maybe join the uni photo society (there is bound to be one) I know people who have done this mainly because they wanted to get a network of people with A LOT of gear so that they could rent or borrow, but they'll probably have suggestions for where to go to get good pictures.

ReputationRep:
    Your pictures are pretty good! What camera do you have? I use a Nikon D3100 with a 18-105mm lens. I sometimes go for a long walk with my camera but there aren't many good areas in terms of scenery. I'm mainly interested in sky photography such as sunset pictures. I'll try to upload some of my shots, although only a few were taken with my DSLR as I didn't have it with me at the time, I had to use my phone.

I have tried to look around for uni societies based on this topic, but there don't seem to be any. The closest thing is for music.

Thanks for the advice!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you. It's a D7000 with a mix of 18-105 and 70-300. Early mornings can be very nice and are usually less crowded so I feel less stupid standing in the middle of somewhere taking pictures. Are there any green areas within walking distance? (parks, fields) Alternatively maybe get a bus to somewhere slightly further out if you feel like the immediate neighbouring area is quite dull?
    Good luck!

Not a uni society but might be worth a try: http://bradfordphoto.org.uk/

ReputationRep:
    That's a great setup! Nice camera and a massive range of focal lengths. I had a look at the Bradford photographic society, I should make time to attend some events after exams, but they seem to attract mostly older professional photographers, it might seem a bit awkward having an amateur student turning up!

There is a town hall in the area, with a modern fountain which does look amazing at night. Aside from this there isn't much else. I am trying to get photos which would include changes in the weather and time, such as during sunrise or sunset, and sunny and snowy conditions on a landscape or wide area. If I am able to bring my car to uni this should really help me to travel and get some amazing pictures.

Thanks for the replies I really appreciate the advice.
    Just out of interest, what made you take up photography as a hobby?

ReputationRep:
    No problem, it's nice to be able to help.
    Mainly it was using a friend of mine's dslr when we were on holiday 2 years ago, after that it was a question of getting the money together.

ReputationRep:
    Go anywhere

ReputationRep:
    That's not a bad idea. How do you travel? Train?

I would travel to cities and take loads of photos but I don't like carrying my DSLR around on public transport late at night. Wish I had my car available at uni.

I don't use twitter but if you know of any good image hosting sites, I will gladly upload some of my shots!

I've been to Bolton Abbey during winter and covered in snow, it looked amazing

ReputationRep:
    Go up on to the moors around the mill towns (Oldham, Halifax, Hudds and the like) - the backdrop of the old cotton mills against moorland is really impressive. Plus the local inhabitants of these sorts of pennine towns tend to make good copy in themselves.

ReputationRep:
    I will try to get my car to uni, then I can travel anywhere and setup my gear properly to get some good shots! Thanks for the advice.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.