Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    If an object is stationary on a flat surface, and there's no wind force or any other force trying to move the object left or right or any which way, what is it's static friction (does it have static friction acting on it?)?

I know the object has a normal force in the upwards direction (perpendicular to surface) and a downwards force of F = ma = object's weight. So if it's not moving or having forces act on it that are trying to move it, then what does it's static friction equal?

I thought, using the general equation, static friction = normal force * coeff. of stat. fric.

But nooo.

Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    I've worked it out, the answer is just 0 (zero)!! as if, but I guess I tried overcomplicating it

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 4, 2013
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.