Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Who is the state to prohibit drug use?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    The state is interested in the welfare of its citizens and so is inclined to prohibit certain kinds of possessions. Where it gets the right to do this from is a complicated subject with many arguments and differing opinions.

However, the 'war on drugs', it must be said causes far more harm than it does good. We need to stop treating drug addicts as criminals and instead offer them the means to leave their addiction, whilst giving people (children especially) honest information about drugs, treating them with respect and not as propaganda targets in governmental agenda. We need drug policy that respects science, not one that flies in the face of it. We need to recognise that prohibition makes organised criminals very wealthy and contributes to social problems in foreign countries, harming farmers and communities. We need to accept that keeping drugs illegal spawns countless other far more dangerous 'legal highs' that cause much more damage than do the real ones.

Above all we need to stop being so crazy about the subject, educate ourselves as a nation and listen to reason, or else our parliamentary representatives will continue to appeal to our unreason for easy votes.

ReputationRep:
    "The State" does a lot of things. They tell you to do a lot of things. You do do a lot of things that the state tells you to do. I really don't get why it should now be a reason for them to let you do what you want. If you want change, you'll have to ask for it, vote for it or lead the change yourself.

I don't think it should be legalised just yet, but thorough research could definitely be done. Get rid of the Ask Frank rubbish and get to the facts of the matter and go from there. Legalising all drugs has worked for some nations, but it would probably cripple others. Taxation of them may provide extra funding for emergency services, but there could also be a lot of death and crime because of it too - Sure, not everything we do in life is bubblewrapped, and it shouldn't be, but the sorts of drugs and chemicals which cause instant death are typically not allowed by the state either.

For now though: Research, research, research. If you'd like to see that happen more, then write to your MP and ask about it.

ReputationRep:
    Legalize most, decriminalize all.

ReputationRep:
    I do think that soft drugs such as marijuana should be legalised. In terms of hard drugs (heroin, cocaine, etc), it's a little difficult. On the one hand, I think they should be decriminalised because it's up to the person to take the drug, so they shouldn't be restricted, especially when it comes to rehabilitation. But sometimes, I find that making them decriminalised could create a lot of deaths due to a lack of education on the potential dangers of the drug. I guess to prevent that, schools need to teach children the facts by researchers not the government on the potential harm of drugs (including alcohol, cigarettes and possibly caffeine).

ReputationRep:
    The majority of them yes, although I'd be wary of legalising the hardest drugs.

ReputationRep:
    Legalise all drugs ? No. Research into how legalising certain drugs would affect the public and the economy? Yes.

For drugs like marijuana there needs to be some serious questions asked about whether spending vast amounts of police time and money on a drug that is just as dangerous, or even less so, than alcohol or nicotine. The number of deaths caused by alcohol addiction, drunk driving and other alcohol-related things is vastly, vastly higher than the deaths caused by marijuana. It's not addictive and doesn't possess the capacity to make people violent if handled correctly, therefore legalising and taxing seems remarkable logical.

Legalising harder drugs such as cocaine meths i would be more skeptical about. Drugs are illegal for a reason in most cases and this especially true where the drugs are more risky. It's not that hard to overdose on coke compared to pot or nicotine but you could then point to the number of people brought into hospital every day with alcohol poisoning.

A lot of it comes down to the stigma surrounding a lot of drugs and the flawed democratic process that would prevent politicians from devoting any time to it. The law of murder and non-fatal offences against the person is astonishingly out-dated and inadequate and yet receives no attention from any of the majour parties, therefore i would think it unlikely that anything will happen with regards to legalising drugs any time soon.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Atom john)
    Legalise all drugs ? No. Research into how legalising certain drugs would affect the public and the economy? Yes.

For drugs like marijuana there needs to be some serious questions asked about whether spending vast amounts of police time and money on a drug that is just as dangerous, or even less so, than alcohol or nicotine. The number of deaths caused by alcohol addiction, drunk driving and other alcohol-related things is vastly, vastly higher than the deaths caused by marijuana. It's not addictive and doesn't possess the capacity to make people violent if handled correctly, therefore legalising and taxing seems remarkable logical.

Legalising harder drugs such as cocaine meths i would be more skeptical about. Drugs are illegal for a reason in most cases and this especially true where the drugs are more risky. It's not that hard to overdose on coke compared to pot or nicotine but you could then point to the number of people brought into hospital every day with alcohol poisoning.

A lot of it comes down to the stigma surrounding a lot of drugs and the flawed democratic process that would prevent politicians from devoting any time to it. The law of murder and non-fatal offences against the person is astonishingly out-dated and inadequate and yet receives no attention from any of the majour parties, therefore i would think it unlikely that anything will happen with regards to legalising drugs any time soon.
    No, not all of them anyway. It wouldn't be nice seeing a kid on the street with heroin in his hands.

ReputationRep:
    I would legalise and regulate the market.

I don't think the legal status of drugs makes that much difference to someone who becomes a heroin addict for example.

Most people don't dabble with the stuff because it is a highly addictive and destructive drug not because it is a prohibited substance.

ReputationRep:
    I agree, Legalise, Regulate and Tax, best way forward.

There's so much misinformation and stigma surrounding drugs. What some people believe about drugs like Coke and MDMA would be hilarious if it weren't such a damning indictment of our society.

It's not the government's place to say what I can and cannot put in my body

ReputationRep:
    Decriminalisation or legalisation would both be better than the war on drugs. Sadly I think the government has its head stuck in the sand on the matter, and despite all the evidence that would suggest they are wrong, they just aren't listening.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steevee)
    It's not the government's place to say what I can and cannot put in my body
    If you putting something in your body puts you temporarily in an unstable mental state then you may become a threat to those around you.

Though for soft drugs like weed then I do agree with you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zed963)
    No, not all of them anyway. It wouldn't be nice seeing a kid on the street with heroin in his hands.
    I wouldn't worry about it. Portugal decriminalised all drugs at the start of the century and the rates of drug use amongst adolescents dropped.

http://bjc.oxfordjournals.org/content/50/6/999

ReputationRep:
    Yes, legalise or at least decriminalise them. Give people proper information about them instead of the usual "drugs or bad m'kay" crap.
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Study Helper
    Not all drugs, just weed. Having it illegal clearly hasn't worked, everyone (including our beloved prime minister) has smoked it. It gets sprayed with chemicals which cause mental illness, and nobody can stop it because its illegal.

Worse, because people try it and think that it turned out to be harmless, they try other drugs that are bad for you. I mean if something nice that everyone does is illegal, maybe it's all a lie and it's all good. Then you get hooked on heroine and lose your teeth :sad:

And I don't even smoke weed, nor would if it was legal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miser)
    The state is interested in the welfare of its citizens and so is inclined to prohibit certain kinds of possessions. Where it gets the right to do this from is a complicated subject with many arguments and differing opinions.

However, the 'war on drugs', it must be said causes far more harm than it does good. We need to stop treating drug addicts as criminals and instead offer them the means to leave their addiction, whilst giving people (children especially) honest information about drugs, treating them with respect and not as propaganda targets in governmental agenda. We need drug policy that respects science, not one that flies in the face of it. We need to recognise that prohibition makes organised criminals very wealthy and contributes to social problems in foreign countries, harming farmers and communities. We need to accept that keeping drugs illegal spawns countless other far more dangerous 'legal highs' that cause much more damage than do the real ones.

Above all we need to stop being so crazy about the subject, educate ourselves as a nation and listen to reason, or else our parliamentary representatives will continue to appeal to our unreason for easy votes.
    Great post.

And yes the political part is what annoys me the most. The amount of propaganda used for 'educating' people about drugs is unbelievable.

Decriminalize all drugs I say but only make safer ones legalized.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hal.E.Lujah)
    Not all drugs, just weed. Having it illegal clearly hasn't worked, everyone (including our beloved prime minister) has smoked it. It gets sprayed with chemicals which cause mental illness, and nobody can stop it because its illegal.

Worse, because people try it and think that it turned out to be harmless, they try other drugs that are bad for you. I mean if something nice that everyone does is illegal, maybe it's all a lie and it's all good. Then you get hooked on heroine and lose your teeth
    :sad:

And I don't even smoke weed, nor would if it was legal.
    That's the gateway theory and its been proven to be a load of rubbish numerous times. Sprayed weed is very rare indeed. It's not sprayed with chemicals that cause mental illness either, there are two reasons to spray weed; The first being to add weight in which case they will spray a sugary water onto it after its been cured, dealers don't spray mental illness causing chemicals onto their weed because people wouldn't buy it and they have no reason to. The second is spraying drugs like PCP onto it for the effects, drug dealers don't do this as they aren't in the business of handing out free drugs, its drug users who do this to their own drugs.

If your weed as been sprayed with chemicals you'd know it, as it would smell like a laboratory and not like beautiful, beautiful green.

ReputationRep:
    No... Im sure people can live without drugs! .... Many people who take drugs I guarentee you complain that they have no money and how their country is crap and therefore they are resorted to taking drugs....yet theres people in third world countries with absolutely nowhere near have anything to the likes that we have....
    No to drugs... sick of the excuses people come up with for needing them and then blame everyone else for their financial situation yet they have money for drugs? errrr no!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kate_louise21)
    No... Im sure people can live without drugs! .... Many people who take drugs I guarentee you complain that they have no money and how their country is crap and therefore they are resorted to taking drugs....yet theres people in third world countries with absolutely nowhere near have anything to the likes that we have....
    No to drugs... sick of the excuses people come up with for needing them and then blame everyone else for their financial situation yet they have money for drugs? errrr no!
    That reads like you're on drugs. Very articulate post.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaveSmith99)
    That reads like you're on drugs. Very articulate post.
    Mature response right there

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.