Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm five foot four and a weigh 8 stone. I know I'm not exactly overweight, but I never have the confidence to wear nice clothes because of body issues, and I always buy clothes where the hem is slightly long so that it covers my bum, because that's really the thing I'm most conscious about. How can I stop being so concerned about what people think about me and start embracing my body? I always kind of feel like I shouldn't wear nice, close fitting clothes because I'm not really slim and toned.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If you're so self concious of your bum, do something about it instead of just covering it up. Tone it up for example. In fact you say you're not slim and toned - you don't need to be slim, but tone up and you'll feel a lot better about yourself.

Sorry if that ^ ^ sounds harsh, it's not supposed too. Try to focus on the parts that you do like about your body. I'm slowly learning to embrace my body and it hasn't been a quick process.

ReputationRep:
    You're actually very light for your height, not underweight, but still quite light.
    I would say the only way to make yourself feel better is to fix your problem area.
    You didn't say why you hate your bum (is it too big/too flat etc) but I think you're best bet is exercises that target your butt muscles and get it toned up!

ReputationRep:
    Show it off, and see if people say "Dat ass"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JodieW)
    I'm five foot four and a weigh 8 stone. I know I'm not exactly overweight, but I never have the confidence to wear nice clothes because of body issues, and I always buy clothes where the hem is slightly long so that it covers my bum, because that's really the thing I'm most conscious about. How can I stop being so concerned about what people think about me and start embracing my body? I always kind of feel like I shouldn't wear nice, close fitting clothes because I'm not really slim and toned.

Posted from TSR Mobile

First of all you're actually light! But I think that the only way you can embrace your body is by realising that image isn't everything and it really isn't that important. If you want to tone up, do it for yourself and your health, not for other people.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.