Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Two weeks ago I started my new job, at a cafe kind of thing. I'm working the Easter holidays then won't be working until late May probably. They said it was a part-time job however the last 2 weeks I have been working full time hours, I've done 5 days straight of 7 hours with one day off and then another 3 days before my next day off. That probably sounds petty but I was supposed to do 11-4, but due to short staff I've been doing 10-5. So I've done about 12 hours more than I was supposed to already. I'm also in uni so I've got my dissertation to do and 2 exams to revise for and I'm just not finding the time to do it. I managed about 3 hours work last night and couldn't concentrate because I was so tired and was worried about work today.

The reason I worry about work is because it's really short staffed - I feel like I have been doing so many extra hours and others haven't been. For example I've been in 11 days over 14 and others have only been in 4 or 5 days. The manager is awful, just seems to sit in the office even during really busy periods when there's not enough staff, and it's actually chaos there. For example I'll be in the middle of serving a customer at the counter and the chef will say 'take this food out' and I say 'I can't I'm serving someone' and he had a flip saying 'Don't put bloody hot food orders through if you can't take them out' Surely I'd just take it out when I've served my customer? It's stupid and it's stressing me out, especially with these extra hours meaning I'm shattered and am hardly getting uni work done!!

But I need this job for summer so I can't just leave...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BabyGirl92)
    Two weeks ago I started my new job, at a cafe kind of thing. I'm working the Easter holidays then won't be working until late May probably. They said it was a part-time job however the last 2 weeks I have been working full time hours, I've done 5 days straight of 7 hours with one day off and then another 3 days before my next day off. That probably sounds petty but I was supposed to do 11-4, but due to short staff I've been doing 10-5. So I've done about 12 hours more than I was supposed to already. I'm also in uni so I've got my dissertation to do and 2 exams to revise for and I'm just not finding the time to do it. I managed about 3 hours work last night and couldn't concentrate because I was so tired and was worried about work today.

The reason I worry about work is because it's really short staffed - I feel like I have been doing so many extra hours and others haven't been. For example I've been in 11 days over 14 and others have only been in 4 or 5 days. The manager is awful, just seems to sit in the office even during really busy periods when there's not enough staff, and it's actually chaos there. For example I'll be in the middle of serving a customer at the counter and the chef will say 'take this food out' and I say 'I can't I'm serving someone' and he had a flip saying 'Don't put bloody hot food orders through if you can't take them out' Surely I'd just take it out when I've served my customer? It's stupid and it's stressing me out, especially with these extra hours meaning I'm shattered and am hardly getting uni work done!!

But I need this job for summer so I can't just leave...
    That's a tough one.

If I was in your position the first thing I would do is tell your manager that due to university you can ONLY do X amount of hours for the next X amount of weeks, otherwise your grades will suffer. Depending on what you have in your contract, they can't force you to do any extra hours over that, if you can't do it just say NO.

As for the other issues, mis-management is something that really annoys me. I don't know how understanding your manager is but would talking to her/him about this stuff (eg. procedure for when hot food is ready) get you anywhere? At least you can try.

Apart from that try to remember you will not be there for ever but just for Summer...to get that money and have a reference to put on your CV. Unfortunately sometimes we have to do jobs we don't enjoy much for other reasons.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by az08)
    That's a tough one.

If I was in your position the first thing I would do is tell your manager that due to university you can ONLY do X amount of hours for the next X amount of weeks, otherwise your grades will suffer. Depending on what you have in your contract, they can't force you to do any extra hours over that, if you can't do it just say NO.

As for the other issues, mis-management is something that really annoys me. I don't know how understanding your manager is but would talking to her/him about this stuff (eg. procedure for when hot food is ready) get you anywhere? At least you can try.

Apart from that try to remember you will not be there for ever but just for Summer...to get that money and have a reference to put on your CV. Unfortunately sometimes we have to do jobs we don't enjoy much for other reasons.
    Thanks

Yesterday was even worse. 2 staff didn't turn up, well one is a volunteer so is not obliged to turn up but he wants a job there so he's not helping himself. I said at the start of the day I HAD to leave at 4 today, which they let me but with only 2 staff left after 4 I'm sure they struggled, but the supervisor let me go because I 'HAD' to. Tbh I just wanted to stick to my hours and wouldn't of minded staying late if I hadn't started early.

It was absolute chaos yesterday, the 'property manager' was there discussing staffing problems and saying how they only have a budget to employ so many staff. It's awful because it's a huge Stately Home that people visit and the cafe just doesn't cater for the amount of people who visit it. There was a queue a mile long and I was the only person serving, one was cooking and one was trying to clear tables/take food out/get clean dishes out. Absolute chaos I was despairing. I'm sure a job isn't supposed to make me feel like that. I have 2 days left of working Easter holidays then I'm off for 3 weeks thank god, I am so tempted to look for a different job in the meantime I can cope but I hate working somewhere so unorganised and I feel like I don't even care if I let them down - they should be more organised in the first place and make staff actually want to work there!

ReputationRep:
    I'm lucky that I've had a term-time one day a week job at uni for the last 2 years, because I will get a reference from that

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 5, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.