Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    hi there
    im thinking about buying the dell XPS 8500 desktop computer for £629, as im gonna be studying architecture at uni this year. ill probably be using photoshop and autocad a lot, and just maybe a little bit of gaming.

so do u think its a good choice?

ReputationRep:
    I have the XPS 8300, so very similar models and very similar baseline specs. I do some CAD and photo editing (Lightroom and soon Photoshop/After Effects, etc) as well as gaming.

It certainly works. No problems with lag, even when working on large files. It's perhaps not the best machine for the price, but it works fine. The specs are fine for what you want to do with it.

My only concern is that it now comes with Windows 8. I am staying as far away from that as I can. Unless you feel like buying Windows 7 from Amazon, I'd look at custom PC builders and put in similar specs on there and have them build it with different software.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SillyEddy)
    I have the XPS 8300, so very similar models and very similar baseline specs. I do some CAD and photo editing (Lightroom and soon Photoshop/After Effects, etc) as well as gaming.

It certainly works. No problems with lag, even when working on large files. It's perhaps not the best machine for the price, but it works fine. The specs are fine for what you want to do with it.

My only concern is that it now comes with Windows 8. I am staying as far away from that as I can. Unless you feel like buying Windows 7 from Amazon, I'd look at custom PC builders and put in similar specs on there and have them build it with different software.
    sorry but i just called dell and they game me a one time offer for £590, do you think i sould go for it?
    its With Windows 8, superior graphics (NVIDIA® GT 640 1GB) and advanced Processor (Core™ i7) quad core, and 1TB hard drive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by homayoun)
    sorry but i just called dell and they game me a one time offer for £590, do you think i sould go for it?
    its With Windows 8, superior graphics (NVIDIA® GT 640 1GB) and advanced Processor (Core™ i7) quad core, and 1TB hard drive.
    Me? Personally? I would go for it, and then spend the change on getting a Windows 7 disc and installing it myself. It's around £70 for Windows 7.

It won't be too difficult to install that either - It is mostly just following on-screen instructions like setting up any other bit of software. The stuff Dell puts on their computers is largely rubbish anyway.

If you're confident about installing it separately (you'll have to download drivers for the graphics card, card reader, etc. But this isn't hard either) and don't mind the hassle, then yeah.

Windows 8 is a real deal-breaker for me though.

ReputationRep:
    hi there
    im thinking about buying the dell XPS 8500 desktop computer for £629, as im gonna be studying architecture at uni this year. ill probably be using photoshop and autocad a lot, and just maybe a little bit of gaming.

so do u think its a good choice?
    Seems decent enough..... the closest I can find is this on dinopc and then you customise for the i7, etc
    http://www.dinopc.com/shop/pc/Mass-E...70-93p1570.htm

Also what kind of games are you going to play?
    GT640 is what I would term as the high end multimedia graphics card from Nvidia but still quite capable.
    Another worry is Dell's cases, they don't have great airflow or options for extra fans, etc which is a downside especially if you plan on using the desktop for extended periods of times under heavy load.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iqbal007)
    Seems decent enough..... the closest I can find is this on dinopc and then you customise for the i7, etc
    http://www.dinopc.com/shop/pc/Mass-E...70-93p1570.htm

Also what kind of games are you going to play?
    GT640 is what I would term as the high end multimedia graphics card from Nvidia but still quite capable.
    Another worry is Dell's cases, they don't have great airflow or options for extra fans, etc which is a downside especially if you plan on using the desktop for extended periods of times under heavy load.
    thanks a lot for the info mate, i jsut ordered the xps 8500, lets hope it turns out to be a decent computer!

ReputationRep:
    thanks a lot for the info mate, i jsut ordered the xps 8500, lets hope it turns out to be a decent computer!
    Ok well..........think about what I said for the airflow and extra fans on the case in particular.
    There is a rear exhaust fan, thats it which isn't ideally, when you want another fan which is an intake.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 4, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.