Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Safe to travel to South Korea this year? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys.

I plan to go to South Korea (Seoul) for one month in the summer. But with all this **** happening with North Korea, shall I still go? Surely it'll be a risk?

ReputationRep:
    North Korea wouldn't dare start a war, Kim Jong's just trying to look tough.

Yeah, it's safe to go.

Edit: albeit they did shell an island and sink a navy ship, but they know it's game-over for them if they hit Seoul.

ReputationRep:
    North Korea are all talk- if they've not done anything by the summer, I'd be pretty confident that nothing will happen.

If there truly were to be an attack, the element of surprise has been spectacularly lost on Kim Jong un

ReputationRep:
    He's trolling the world.

ReputationRep:
    https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/south-korea

The government say it's fine, but take out compehensive insurance.

ReputationRep:
    Don't listen to the media too much, because according to last statements of their a bit crrrazy leader it's not safe to travel to the US as well.
    There are often conflicts on the border of North and South Korea, but if you travel to Seoul you will be fine.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=if-aEz4b3vM This might help reassure you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rackethead)
    Hi guys.

I plan to go to South Korea (Seoul) for one month in the summer. But with all this **** happening with North Korea, shall I still go? Surely it'll be a risk?
    Hey, I'm also going South Korea in the summer for 2 weeks. There's a group of 10 students and 2 teachers and my teacher said that its safe to go because this conflict between south and north Korea has been going on for a while now and its most likely that nothing will happen

Totally irrelevant to all that, what do you plan on wearing?? I'm in such a dilemma because firstly i prefer to cover up but then i have been told by my Korean host that it will be HOT! Also my teacher warned the girls not to wear clothing that shows off too much flesh or to wear sandals as this is seen as "bad etiquette , is that true, i thought Seoul was really advanced and modern.

ReputationRep:
    South Korea is a beautiful country! Somewhere I've always wanted to go. People in the country themselves don't take any notice of the North's current threats so I've heard, and there are signs that tensions are calming (missiles being taken off the coast) so I'd say go for it and enjoy yourself! I'll be jealous.

ReputationRep:
    I'm living in Seoul at the moment and no one is even talking about the North anymore. Things were pretty scary for about a week in April but more because of the news back home and all the messages I was receiving if anything. It's all just a political show to get concessions from the South and the U.S.A.

Last week, I even did a trip of the DMZ (de-militarized zone) between the two countries. It was really interesting, have fun!

ReputationRep:
    cake-jong-un in harmless

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abyiat-96)
    Hey, I'm also going South Korea in the summer for 2 weeks. There's a group of 10 students and 2 teachers and my teacher said that its safe to go because this conflict between south and north Korea has been going on for a while now and its most likely that nothing will happen

Totally irrelevant to all that, what do you plan on wearing?? I'm in such a dilemma because firstly i prefer to cover up but then i have been told by my Korean host that it will be HOT! Also my teacher warned the girls not to wear clothing that shows off too much flesh or to wear sandals as this is seen as "bad etiquette , is that true, i thought Seoul was really advanced and modern.
    Shorts, skirts and T-shirts are all fine here. It is pretty hot already and it will definitely be humid. Koreans are surprisingly fine with bare legs...the length of some of the girls skirts is ridiculous!! However, bare shoulders and cleavage are a no-no so stick to t-shirts if you want to be on the safe side.

As for shoes, I don't think it matters. You are right in saying Seoul is modern and forward thinking. People have better things to worry about than what is on your feet.

ReputationRep:
    South Korea is safer than the UK any day of the week.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.