Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Uni accommodation kept aside, how much will I be needing as first-year university student in London to cover my living expenses (transportation included)?

Would you mind sharing how much you spend a week or a month as student in London, especially the girls because I know we have some extra needs?

Thank you for your time
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Try playing about with http://international.studentcalculator.org/

ReputationRep:
    basically all of the costs are the same as living elsewhere, except from rent and travel. going out can be expensive as well but there are always cheap options if you find the right places!

i allow myself £40 a month on travel, but this is quite cheap for london as i live within walking distance of my uni. if you were to take the tube/bus every day it would start to get a lot pricier, and sometimes it can work out cheaper to buy monthly travel cards (but make sure you get a student oyster!).

ReputationRep:
    Thank you, but that is not very helpful when I don't quite know where to start. Still, I appreciate your help.

(Original post by beccafairy)
    basically all of the costs are the same as living elsewhere, except from rent and travel. going out can be expensive as well but there are always cheap options if you find the right places!

i allow myself £40 a month on travel, but this is quite cheap for london as i live within walking distance of my uni. if you were to take the tube/bus every day it would start to get a lot pricier, and sometimes it can work out cheaper to buy monthly travel cards (but make sure you get a student oyster!).
    Yes, thank you! That was what I was looking for: a rough guide from someone actually living in London.

40 pounds a month is on a good scale. And what about food? Some people told me it would cost more, while some told me burgers were cheaper than elsewhere... but am not really into burgers. :/

ReputationRep:
    300-400 quid should be enough. ( i barely cook )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xamanus)
    300-400 quid should be enough. ( i barely cook )
    That sounds alright. And, can I ask how much you pay for accommodation, if that isn't much intrusive?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alpha510)
    Yes, thank you! That was what I was looking for: a rough guide from someone actually living in London.

40 pounds a month is on a good scale. And what about food? Some people told me it would cost more, while some told me burgers were cheaper than elsewhere... but am not really into burgers. :/
    well as long as you don't eat out at restaurants all the time (i don't know of any student that does this) it costs the same. i personally budget £25 a week but that's more than you need - on weeks where i'm running low on money i can do my food shopping for £10, i just enjoy my luxuries.

ReputationRep:
    well as long as you don't eat out at restaurants all the time (i don't know of any student that does this) it costs the same. i personally budget £25 a week but that's more than you need - on weeks where i'm running low on money i can do my food shopping for £10, i just enjoy my luxuries.
    £25 a week on food?!?!

ReputationRep:
    I got by as a student paying less than £650 a month for everything (since that was my bursary amount) but it wasn't too hard. My travel was £80 per month but I used public transport and food was quite pricey I think from what I remember.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TaylorGang_4)
    £25 a week on food?!?!
    yeahhh... my initial shop usually comes to around £16-18 but i usually end up nipping back and getting the odd thing. i don't really go out much and don't smoke or anything so i make up a bit of money there!

ReputationRep:
    yeahhh... my initial shop usually comes to around £16-18 but i usually end up nipping back and getting the odd thing. i don't really go out much and don't smoke or anything so i make up a bit of money there!
    I worked out my shopping at around £200 a month. How much are you currently paying for accommodation?

ReputationRep:
    I worked out my shopping at around £200 a month. How much are you currently paying for accommodation?
    how do you manage that?! :eek: i pay £160pw, living in overpriced (considering they're in peckham) student halls though.

ReputationRep:
    how do you manage that?! :eek: i pay £160pw, living in overpriced (considering they're in peckham) student halls though.
    I'm not currently at University, but I will be moving to London. £50 a week for shopping seemed a sufficient price. I guess it's too much! And I'm still undecided about accommodation. The cheapest student accommodation at City is £185 pw. I may look into renting a house with other students. Decisions decisions. :rolleyes:
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Thank you, but that is not very helpful when I don't quite know where to start. Still, I appreciate your help.

Yes, your local independent burger and pizza takeaways will probably be cheaper due to the competition. I know there is the odd CHEAP Indian restaurant about as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x-pixie-x)
    I got by as a student paying less than £650 a month for everything (since that was my bursary amount) but it wasn't too hard. My travel was £80 per month but I used public transport and food was quite pricey I think from what I remember.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    'Everything' includes accommodation?

Okay, that should be sufficient. Thanks

Are you saying you spend £200 on food? :eek:

(Original post by RVNmax)
    Yes, your local independent burger and pizza takeaways will probably be cheaper due to the competition. I know there is the odd CHEAP Indian restaurant about as well.
    Ah... my diet consists mainly of: cereals, fruits, vegetables, grains, and yoghurt. That, at least, won't cost a hell?

ReputationRep:

I worked out about how much my parents spend and like halved it.

:dontknow:

ReputationRep:

I worked out about how much my parents spend and like halved it.

:dontknow:
    How many persons are there in your household?
    Okay, at least, relieved am going there to study and not form a family.

ReputationRep:
    How many persons are there in your household?
    Okay, at least, relieved am going there to study and not form a family.
    4 including me haha. I don't even know how much is spent on food, I just thought £50 a week was a good estimate for one person.

ReputationRep:
    Wow, I'd be forced out if I ended up having to pay £160pw! On the maximum student loan and grant alone (i.e. not working) my weekly income is roughly £180pw. When I first moved out I rented was a £380pcm double room in a houseshare (then again, the landlord lived in, and it was in pre-Olympics Stratford). At my parent's place, I now pay a third of that, but still buy a monthly student Oyster travelcard (Zones 1-2) for £81.50, and my weekly food shop works out to be £25-28.

ReputationRep:
    4 including me haha. I don't even know how much is spent on food, I just thought £50 a week was a good estimate for one person.
    Lol. I think a better estimate would be: Ask your parents how much they'd give you to cover living expenses when you'll be at uni?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.