Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm in year 13 and have all my offers. I decided to firm Birmingham University (ABB) and put Plymouth University (260pts) as my insurance choice. I am so keen to study at Birmingham but I'm worried of facing the possibility of not achieving the requirements to get in. I know its early to think about it, but how would it work if I decided I did not want to go to Plymouth, yet got rejected from Birmingham?
    (For Plymouth - I need pretty much 1 B grade across all three of my A Levels this year to get in which I am pretty much guaranteed).
    If I did want to go into clearing, surely I would still be bound to my insurance, Plymouth? And is there a way you could see what courses were in clearing before actually being released from your insurance?
    Thanks!
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    You are obligated to go to your insurance or to reapply for entry the following year.

HOWEVER you can *ask* your insurance to release you from this obligation so that you can apply elsewhere through Clearing. It's best to do this well in advance of results day....in fact it's best to not put an insurance that you wouldn't want to go to at all.

If you don't want to go to Plymouth then don't put it as your insurance (you're wasting Plymouth's time and your time committing to a place you've no intention of taking up).

If you've already put it as your insurance within the last 7 days then ring up UCAS and remove it as your insurance.

If you put Plymouth as your insurance more than 7 days ago then ring up Plymouth and ask them to release you from your commitment to them ASAP and at the latest by the 1st August.

DON'T wait until results day - it IS possible to arrange a release after results day - but it can take anywhere from an hour to a fortnight and a fortnight is a VERY long time in Clearing.

ReputationRep:
    If you didn't get into Bham but were accepted by Plymouth and didn't want to go, you would have to contact the university and ask for them to withdraw the offer, so that you could be released into clearing. Here's the UCAS FAQ: http://www.ucas.com/students/results...andoffers/faq4
    Most universities post what courses they're offering through clearing on their website. You could have a quick scan through these to see if anything takes your fancy before asking to be released from the Plymouth course. You can also phone universities to ask what courses they're offering through clearing. Good luck with your exams - hope you get into Bham!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    You are obligated to go to your insurance or to reapply for entry the following year.

HOWEVER you can *ask* your insurance to release you from this obligation so that you can apply elsewhere through Clearing. It's best to do this well in advance of results day....in fact it's best to not put an insurance that you wouldn't want to go to at all.

If you don't want to go to Plymouth then don't put it as your insurance (you're wasting Plymouth's time and your time committing to a place you've no intention of taking up).

If you've already put it as your insurance within the last 7 days then ring up UCAS and remove it as your insurance.

If you put Plymouth as your insurance more than 7 days ago then ring up Plymouth and ask them to release you from your commitment to them ASAP and at the latest by the 1st August.

DON'T wait until results day - it IS possible to arrange a release after results day - but it can take anywhere from an hour to a fortnight and a fortnight is a VERY long time in Clearing.
    Thank you for clearing things up. Its not that I don't WANT to go to Plymouth, I would just prefer Birmingham . I'm just undecided whether I'd be happy at Plymouth - I only insured it a few days ago so I'll think about it a while longer.
    Thanks again!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IAmAStegosaurus)
    If you didn't get into Bham but were accepted by Plymouth and didn't want to go, you would have to contact the university and ask for them to withdraw the offer, so that you could be released into clearing. Here's the UCAS FAQ: http://www.ucas.com/students/results...andoffers/faq4
    Most universities post what courses they're offering through clearing on their website. You could have a quick scan through these to see if anything takes your fancy before asking to be released from the Plymouth course. You can also phone universities to ask what courses they're offering through clearing. Good luck with your exams - hope you get into Bham!
    Thank you for the information
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Jade10128)
    Thank you for clearing things up. Its not that I don't WANT to go to Plymouth, I would just prefer Birmingham . I'm just undecided whether I'd be happy at Plymouth - I only insured it a few days ago so I'll think about it a while longer.
    Thanks again!
    In that case I'd say see how your exams go in June and decide whether you think you might end up committed to Plymouth at that point - and more importantly - whether you'd be happy with that or would prefer to have the option to apply elsewhere through Clearing. Maybe have a look through the clearing listings from 2012 ( go to your local reference library and dig out their copy of the Telegraph from August 16 2012) and see if there was anything last year that would have appealed to you.

Don't leave it too late though - every year we see people on TSR trying to get released AFTER results day and it is a horrible situation to find yourself in.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.