The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE English Literature Exams - 20th and 23rd May 2013 *OFFICAL THREAD*

Scroll to see replies

Whose doing An Inspector Calls? If so how about we all think of points which may appear based on Eric - would be good if it did come up, and if not its good for revision anyhow.
Just quote the one you want to write notes about (typed please so you can post them here) & we can have more than one person doing each and you can do more than one so choose what you are confident with/not confident, just want to do really:

Quotes:
Eric's relationship with parents:
His role in the death:
His reaction:
Attitudes to the lower class:
Him & Sheila contrasting with the older generation:

This is all I can think of right now, feel free to suggest more. They are fairly broad too but it covers a good amount so hopefully something here will relate to the question. When you are done, just quote this again a long with your notes :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 901
Original post by alibland
Im doing An Inspector Calls and I'm pretty sure it's going to be on Eric.. does anyone have some good quotes they can give me for Eric??

Tensions between his father "You're not the kind of father a chap could go to when he's in trouble"

Treated Eva violenty "I'm not very clear about it, but afterwards she tld me she didn't want to go in but that - well I was in that state when a chap easily turns nasty - and I threatened to make a row"

Naturally feels pity when he hears about Eva "My God!"

He sees what matters is human tragedy "What's the use of talking about behaving sensibly"

He lines up with Sheila against the others, more mature than older generations "And I agree with Sheila"

Rebellious "[Shouting]"

Many more here http://getrevising.co.uk/resources/an_inspector_calls_full_notes
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 902
Original post by Hassyk
Thanks
that really helped :smile:
gonna do some PP's now
how do you structure you response? And how many paragraphs do you think I should write?

If the paragraphs you are writing are in the PEEA (point, evidence, explain, analysis) structure, then about 6-7 paragraphs for 'a' not including intro and conc.

For 'b' I just like to write about half as much as I did for 'a', instead of counting paragraphs.
Reply 903
Original post by Elm Tree
poetry.jpg

Poetry notes... not even finished yet :sigh:

i got told the best technique is to try and do 5/7 poems ...instead of all 12

i mean fully revise... you should knw the basics of al of them though...

you can knock out 2 themes from the 2 previuos exam papers

and since you get to pick what you want to write about...the question is open ended and the fact you have the choice of 2 questions... the 2 themes...which will most probably be in the 5/7

but my way is a bit risky lol

Original post by MsIge
"A tall man stood in the doorway" .........

- btw I added the ellipses at the end because I did not know how to explain the quote, any ideas?

you only used 1 quoute in that..and it wasnt elaborated on
if you use no quotes the max grade you can get is a C.. notice that

then say something lik this:

...................................................................................................................................

one could argue that slims signigance within this scene is marginal as he barely talks and barely moves but i believe that steibeck purposley does this to show his signifigance in a God-like form. he is firstly described as a 'tall man who stood in the doory way' and had a 'stintson hat'. steinbech purposley uses these adjectives and declarative statements to emphasise his signifigance :

tall..... everyone liberality and figurative looks upto him
man.... respect..not a woman... prejudice or jeus figure...
stood... link to him being above

'stood in the doorway.... 2 halves... life he lives as an iteratant worker.. and the life he wants... sybolically -- or link to the quote about him sayin ' why dont everybody go round with each other' (something like that) ---- make a sentence...

this above sescription and quote links in to the world of lonliness of the 30's as steibeck uses the charachter of slim to potray the average 'jerk-line skinner' as the man who all the ranch hands looked up to but also te person who had the most respect on the ranch....e.g comparison of stintson hats of the boss and slim

then i would write something of the line where curleys wife gives a response to the interaoagative statemant (a response to a question)... when slim asked ' why dont all people go round together' -- then link to slim not being the smartest... since he is revolved in the typical iterant workers life..as he too would of had to move farms when they couldnt farm--due to drought.... therefore he is the most relevant represnetation of the confused worker and thus steinbeck the farm to represent a microocsm of the macrocosm o the US.. through prejudice and slim - as he could be argued to be the lonliest

................................................................................................

thats just links between part a and b

i know my spelling and gammar above are poor...but hopefully you will get the pragmatics of the writing :biggrin:

oh and just rememebr to use qoutes..expand...then extend

hope that gives you some new points.,,,

gosh i hate typing..grr

ryan
Reply 904
Original post by gomg
Tensions between his father "You're not the kind of father a chap could go to when he's in trouble"

Treated Eva violenty "I'm not very clear about it, but afterwards she tld me she didn't want to go in but that - well I was in that state when a chap easily turns nasty - and I threatened to make a row"

Naturally feels pity when he hears about Eva "My God!"

He sees what matters is human tragedy "What's the use of talking about behaving sensibly"

He lines up with Sheila against the others, more mature than older generations "And I agree with Sheila"

Rebellious "[Shouting]"

Many more here http://getrevising.co.uk/resources/an_inspector_calls_full_notes

Thank you, thats pretty helpful cheers
Reply 905
Can someone tell me how to structure my response?
Reply 906
Good paragraph structure...

P-Point
E-Evidence
A-Analysis
R-Relate (to context etc)
L-Link (Back to question, next point etc)
If it was natural setting, what could you say for part b? same for Slim
HELP . For the whole literature paper, does anyone know how many marks out of 60 is an A*?
Many Thanks :smile:
Reply 909
Original post by Natasha792
HELP . For the whole literature paper, does anyone know how many marks out of 60 is an A*?

For the book one normally around 45
Reply 910
Ok, can someone correct/confirm something for me.
(I'm doing The Crucible and OMAM)

Section A: The Crucible is one question.

Section B: OMAM is 2 questions? One about the extract and one about the whole text?
Original post by Natasha792

Our teacher estimated about 53-55, I don't know if that is right
Reply 912
Original post by Squidgy

Section B: OMAM is 2 questions? One about the extract and one about the whole text?

yep
Original post by Squidgy

Of Mice and Men will be 2 questions. One is based on a short passage from the text, and the other is on the novel as a whole, usually linking to themes (e.g. The American Dream)

I'm guessing that it's gonna be natural setting or Slim, maybe Curley.
Reply 914
Original post by ryanb97
i got told the best technique is to try and do 5/7 poems ...instead of all 12

thats just links between part a and b

i know my spelling and gammar above are poor...but hopefully you will get the pragmatics of the writing :biggrin:

oh and just rememebr to use qoutes..expand...then extend

hope that gives you some new points.,,,

gosh i hate typing..grr

ryan

Thank you very much, i always struggle on structuring paragraphs but i am getting here, thanks for the help and hahha its okay
I'm guessing that it's gonna be natural setting or Slim, maybe Curley.

What do you mean by natural setting? Similar to the bunkhouse question?
Reply 916
EVERYONE WORRIED ABOUT OMAM NATURAL SETTING, HERE'S SOMETHING REALLY USEFUL:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=majOORVCPFQ

People have been thinking it's possible this will come up, in which case you need to know what you're going to write about or else you're going to be panicking in the exam.
Is anyone else doing The Crucible and To Kill a Mockingbird?
I predict and hope that the Crucible question will be on Elizabeth Proctor.. :biggrin:
Have TSR predictions ever been correct? Anybody know?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 919
I'm doing Sunlight on the Grass, Moon of the tides and Of Mice and Men. I'm finding revising quite hard though. Any tips?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending