Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do I need a "passion for fashion" to work in clothing retail ? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys , Im an avid job seeking student here in desperate need of a job. I have brief work experience with a card shop which I worked in last December . Im currently applying to pretty much every type of retail shop , because im so desperate.

I recently found a few vacancies in a fashion shop notorious for treating its employees badly . My question for you is : do I need a passion for fashion to work in the clothing sector of retail ? To be honest I really dislike fashion , I wouldn't care less if the only clothes that existed were grey . Do you think my lack of enthusiasm when it comes to fashion will be detected ? The thing is , im a good actor and obviously would put up an eccentric enthusiastic act . but if customers where to ask me questions regarding clothing styles I would be flabbergasted . Do you think I can just blag my way through a job ? What also frightens me is the fact that there are no uniforms , its likely that whatever im wearing wll be judged by the tenfold by fellow employees or customers and I don't want to come off badly , but I have little fashion sense . Genuine questions guys ,

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Bump . Anyone ?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, as a fashion business student who's worked in retail, to get past the interview you need to really care about clothes (or fake it lots)

retail is a horrible job and I absolutely adore clothes. the only bonus i ever found was when new things came in. tbh you're going to hate the job probs. And you also need to put on a really good show to get the job/ get through probation period.

ReputationRep:
    Nope you do not need to be passionate for fashion..

I worked for M&S in the ladies clothes section lol...which I have absolutely no interest in.

For retail its more about the customer service aspect, if you are struggling keep checking the career sites for the major high street retailers as the staff turnover will be pretty high so theres always new vacancies coming up.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think that you have to be passionate about fashion because not many are and if a passion for fashion would be a requirement, not many would be working there. It's all about providing excellent customer service and making sure the customer leaves the shop happy and returns to it at any time in near future.

If a customer asks you something, e.g. what would you recommend for summer season, you could ask follow-up questions to get an idea of what to suggest for your customer. That's what I'd do if I'd be asked questions related to fashion..

ReputationRep:
    Not at all

the biggest skill i find is finding ways to be politely rude to the many many many cusotmers who are going to treat you like their personal slave, yell at you, insult you and basically feel its their personal duty to try and make your life miserable simply because you are an employee.

ReputationRep:
    I work in a sports shop but I'm not 100% into sports, but I've managed to get the job also I have to wear uniform. But you don't really have to be into fashion.
    • PS Helper
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by kunoichi)
    Not at all

the biggest skill i find is finding ways to be politely rude to the many many many cusotmers who are going to treat you like their personal slave, yell at you, insult you and basically feel its their personal duty to try and make your life miserable simply because you are an employee.
    This

Do you need a "passion for fashion"? Definitely not. Do you need to have good customer service? Yeah. I work in a "fashionable" clothing shop and there are girls who are really into fashion, but honestly, it doesn't make a difference. We don't have a set uniform either and wear what we want, so I'll usually wear a tshirt dress with a nice belt or necklace. Most of the guys in my store wear smart jeans with a patterned tshirt. I don't see any point in making a huge effort because it's just work.

You will need to be enthusiastic about the clothes during the interview, but ultimately, it doesn't matter a whole lot if you get the job. It's probably a requirement for high end shops where you're one-on-one selling to your customer, but in most high street shops, customers know what they're after.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 5, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.