Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Newbie wants to gain weight Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys I know this isn't the usual thread however I want to gain a bit of weight and also maybe muscle, I'm about 5'5" and I weigh 8.5 stone or around 54kg. I was just wondering off some good methods on bulking up. I've been going to the gym but I've not gained or lost any weight I most likely don't do enough at the gym or even eat enough to bulk up.

Just wondering if anyone on here knows some good methods to indeed me to put on a bit of muscle.

ReputationRep:
    How much do you eat at the moment? And what is your gym routine like?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox)
    How much do you eat at the moment? And what is your gym routine like?
    Usually depending on my mood I would normally have around 1-2 meals a day. The gym depends on what I do really normally I do this.

Bench - 12 reps for 3 sets
    If I do sit ups its normally 100 situps
    Dumb bells
    A few pull ups
    Squats
    Plus other things I can't remember the name off haha I can normally show you but not sure where to look for the names.

I normally go with my house mate who is pretty ripped and he shows me what do really which is why I can't think of the names with the different dumb bells

I'll ask him later about the routine later when he is in

ReputationRep:
    - Do your research outside of this website, even if it means just typing your question into google.
    - Make a routine based around split days (e.g. Chest/Triceps/Shoulders, Back/Biceps, Legs)
    - Stick to it
    - Eat a caloric surplus of as much clean foods as possible.

ReputationRep:
    A full body routine is probably better for a beginner than splits.

ReputationRep:
    eat surplus calories and take a protein shake! ARR!

ReputationRep:
    I brought sci-mx grs-5 protein at the start of the year normally I do a bit of everything at the gym

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    mass gainer

compound movements

squats

deadlifts

bench press

shoulder press

ALL THAT GOOD **** BROTHER!

ReputationRep:
    Stick yourself on a 3x a week full body workout, eat a calorific surplus (go workout your nutritional needs via the stickies). In terms of macros 0.8g-1g of protein 0.4-0.5g of fat per LBM fill up the rest with whatever you want.

Tl;Dr: Eat, lift, sleep, repeat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LepreJohn)
    Usually depending on my mood I would normally have around 1-2 meals a day.
    Seriously?

Try this;

Breakfast
    Snack
    Dinner
    Snack
    Tea
    Snack
    Sleep

All your food should be good, clean food; chicken fillets, steak, fish, hole grain pasta and rice, lots of fruit and veg, porridge. Making sure to drink lots of water (at least 2 litres a day minimum)

Get your diet sorted out first.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    Eat lots of healthy proteins and carbs, try doing some weights at the gym too, maybe do it once a week for the first few weeks and build up from there Aim for a calorie intake of maybe 2000-2500. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zKlown)
    In the context it was used (in the fitness section of the forum) it was not misused. Most people (including yourself) understood what it means and it's term frequently used on fitness forums. You just told a bad joke pal.

Sorry
    No call them healthy foods all you like, clean food is just a load of tosh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dhaden)
    No call them healthy foods all you like, clean food is just a load of tosh
    I'd say clean foods to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarahhackett)
    The main thing to do is start eating properly! Eating a healthy balanced diet, especially in your case, will help you to put weight on!

1-2 meals a day is extremely unhealthy and if continued could lead to health problems.

Sort your diet out before trying to bulk up!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Agreed.

Everything you do at the gym will be burnt out until you eat properly.

Your body needs fuel so that it can help your muscles repair after a work out.

For your workout I would say start with a 5x5.

(Lifting heavy - no light weights)

Bench Press: 5 sets of 5 reps each
    Military Press 5x5
    Deadlifts 5x5
    Squats 5x5
    Pull Ups 5x5
    Plank until failure

Your 4th and 5th reps should be a struggle, if not then the weight is not heavy enough.

Each week you need to add at least 5 pounds to your lifts.

ReputationRep:
    more proteins

ReputationRep:
    Eat Calorie Dense Foods!

-Eggs
    -Salmon
    -Tuna
    -Peanut Butter
    -Avocados
    -Walnuts

etc

though have you found out how many calories you require to maintain your weight yet? whatever figure that is - add 500 to it, and consume it for 7 days to gain 1lb.

ReputationRep:
    As someone with an extremely high metabolism, I have to eat 2500 caps a day just to maintain my weight.
    You should be eating at every given opportunity
    ...well if you're hungry of course! Stick to wholesome foods such as nuts, fish, chicken and other lean meats, wholegrains, oats, avocadoes, bananas, drink smoothies and shakes ECT! Don't overload on junk food.
    I use an app called myfitnesspal to track my calories and exercise, its really useful!

ReputationRep:
    Split your daily protein requirements over about 4-5 meals throughout the day. Various studies have shown this to be optimal in stimulating the most amount of muscle protein synthesis, compared to eating say two or eight times a day.

ReputationRep:
    As has been said many times; EAT!

I can't stress how important your diet is, eating 1-2 meals a day will get you nowhere. Work as hard as you like in the gym but if your body doesn't have the nutrition to work with you are simply wasting your time. I'm currently bulking and eating between 4500 calories - 5000 calories a day, eat more and eat healthy! Once you've reached into a calorie surplus it doesn't matter how much broccoli you eat, it is still fat. It's much easier to eat a pizza than 300g of broccoli, just my input

ReputationRep:
    Just to put it out to people I know I don't eat often but when I do eat its usually clean foods like tuna pasta chicken etc the gym gave me a diet plan that I'm going to try and stick to this time again as I do want to bulk up a bit

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.