Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi and thanks for taking the time to read this post. I would like to say that I am pretty clueless how the whole education system works - I pretty much went with the flow however, I was considering a apprenticeship.

I am currently 17 and am studying a BTEC Level 2 National Diploma IT in college which I am due to complete within a few months to a distinction. I personally dislike college and I would rather go to work and use IT skills in the workplace.

As far as I am aware, most IT apprenticeships have a NVQ qualification at the end of it and the apprenticeships I am looking at are level 2. Is it worth me doing a apprenticeship if I already have a BTEC qualification? I can progress to level 3 in college however, the course runs for 2 years which I am dreading the thought of! By completion of this level 2 course, I will have functional skills maths & English and a ECDL (Eurpoean Computer Driving License) certificate.

I like the idea of apprenticeships and have been reading as much as possible lately but I just do not know if it's worth it. I don't want to do it if it's a total waste of time but if it does give some benefit, I would prefer it over college

Thanks for your time!

ReputationRep:
    depends if you can get a job or not. If you get employed while doing it then go for it. If not then I wouldn't see the point.

If you get a job, by the time you finish the apprenticeship you would have about 2.5/3 years experience (no idea how long IT NVQ 2/3s last), if you wanted you could easily get into a good university through a foundation year to study IT or computer science etc. then you'd get a job ahead of most others due to having loads of work experience.

Submit reply
Updated: April 4, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Apprenticeship zone:

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Zone

All you need to know about higher and degree apprenticeships.

GIGF logo

Meet the apprentices

Read these case studies from real apprentices to hear the truth about what it's like!

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Vacancies

Find the latest higher and degree apprenticeship opportunities.

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick links:

Unanswered apprenticeships and alternatives to university threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.