Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I applied to three universities this year and four courses. Sadly after months of waiting I was rejected from my top two choices. I'm now waiting on my third choice. The requirements are lower for this course but it is also a slightly different course from the others I applied to. The first two were straight languages whereas this course is languages and business/intercultual communication. It would still allow me to study two languages but I'm not as familiar with the business side as much as languages.I'm just not wanting to wait yet another year and reapply..I graduated last summer and have spent this year on a gap year of sorts,working and doing a part time college course to keep up my language skills and gain further qualifications while applying.

Cons of this course:
    lower ranked uni,former polytechnic,(does this matter though? I think I've just been influenced by friends)
    year abroad option is only for one language not two..organise own?
    language study is mainly aiming for fluency is a business context..not my original plan..
    unsure of the worth of marketing/business with languages as an overall degree

ReputationRep:
    When you say you have graduated.. Do you mean you are a post grad student or are you referring to completion of secondary school/college?

Do a bit more research on the nature of the course and maybe speak to students who already do it to find out what it's like, it sounds like a good idea to do languages applied to business and I expect it would potentially lead to better career prospects than languages alone.

It does not matter if it's a former polytechnic and lower ranked uni. As long as you like it there, it's a well organized institution and you get a good degree that's all that really matters. What university is it by the way?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by littleone271)
    When you say you have graduated.. Do you mean you are a post grad student or are you referring to completion of secondary school/college?

Do a bit more research on the nature of the course and maybe speak to students who already do it to find out what it's like, it sounds like a good idea to do languages applied to business and I expect it would potentially lead to better career prospects than languages alone.

It does not matter if it's a former polytechnic and lower ranked uni. As long as you like it there, it's a well organized institution and you get a good degree that's all that really matters. What university is it by the way?
    Completion of college. I plan to research the university and course much more thoroughly than I initially had(indeed I was blinded somewhat by the other two universities to pay as much attention to this one...rather silly of me in hindsight I know) if I gain a place. I think combined with work experience/time abroad/internships organised myself in addition to the degree would stand me in good stead for the future but I think opinions of others and on here have led me to believe uni reputation is highly important..I mean they are to an extent..

The university is Edinburgh Napier University.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OddThings)
    Completion of college. I plan to research the university and course much more thoroughly than I initially had(indeed I was blinded somewhat by the other two universities to pay as much attention to this one...rather silly of me in hindsight I know) if I gain a place. I think combined with work experience/time abroad/internships organised myself in addition to the degree would stand me in good stead for the future but I think opinions of others and on here have led me to believe uni reputation is highly important..I mean they are to an extent..

The university is Edinburgh Napier University.
    Going to a lower ranked uni is not a big deal. I go to bedfordshire because I like the course but most people are only there cos it was the only place that would have them! Yet it's a really good uni that sets people up very well for the future and people from here have gone on to do post grad at oxford and cambridge.

University snobbery is a load of rubbish. Obviously if you can get into a well respected university that's in a good location with a course you like then go for it but if the university is less respected then it really doesn't matter. There are far more important things to consider when choosing a university and it doesn't sound like you have that much choice anyway. Forget about the rankings and think about the university in terms of what your lifestyle would be like there.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.