Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I guess the title says it all. My hands get really dry all the time (especially after they've been washed or I've had a bath).

I know it's hardly a big issue, but I don't like it. The knuckles go all nasty and cracked and flaky, and it's really itchy and slightly sore. The rest of my hands are pretty normal, and it's only been happening for a few weeks.

I've been moisturising, but it doesn't help much and I don't want to do it too much because I heard it can make things worse.

Is it just the cold weather, or am I doing something wrong? And how do I stop it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dendodge)
    I guess the title says it all. My hands get really dry all the time (especially after they've been washed or I've had a bath).

I know it's hardly a big issue, but I don't like it. The knuckles go all nasty and cracked and flaky, and it's really itchy and slightly sore. The rest of my hands are pretty normal, and it's only been happening for a few weeks.

I've been moisturising, but it doesn't help much and I don't want to do it too much because I heard it can make things worse.

Is it just the cold weather, or am I doing something wrong? And how do I stop it?
    If it's just the back of your hands which are dry, it sounds pretty normal, it's just the weather imo. Just cover the back of your hands in vaseline - trust me it works

ReputationRep:
    Get a good hand moisturiser - the hemp one from the body shop is quite good, even if it smells a bit funny - and apply it after you wash your hands. Every time. Maybe put loads on before you go to sleep and then gloves on for maximum effect? (I know it sounds silly but I reckon it'll work)
    • PS Helper
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    PS Reviewer
    I had similar problems, especially during winter; normal moisturiser didn't help much. What I've found really good is if you get a pair of thin cotton gloves (Body Shop sell handy stretchy ones) and just before bed, really slather on a thick moisturiser (I use either E45 cream or the hemp hand protector, also Body Shop), put the gloves over the top and leave them on as you sleep. The gloves stop the moisturiser from being wiped off and keeps everything sealed in and I found it really helped me.
    It might also be worth seeing a dermatologist if the itching is bad, you could have eczema or psoriasis or something, and they could prescribe a steroid cream to help keep the itch at bay
    edit - heh, pitseleh beat me to the hemp cream by like a minute

ReputationRep:
    E45! Get a tube of the medical cream (~£2.50-£3) and put it on a couple of times a day, it should clear it up. I had something similar and it worked wonders.

ReputationRep:
    Put some vaseline on those bad boys.

ReputationRep:
    alex193 - great minds think alike!

ReputationRep:
    I used to have dry hands but what I did was get some diprobase (or similar cream) and rub it on your hands at night. Put some cotton gloves on (the white ones) and sleep in them. Then after a while they soften up.

ReputationRep:
    Norwegian formula hand team was by far the best thing I ever used. E45 worked, but my hands were just so bad it too ages to clear up with that, tough Norwegian formula is a bit more expensive (£4 a tube) my dry hands were gone after two days of using it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dendodge)

I hear this method a bit, like a hand glove thing which you can fasten in a way around your hands, so loads of moisturiser or vaseline, fasten and leave over night

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KatiexZoe)
    Norwegian formula hand team was by far the best thing I ever used. E45 worked, but my hands were just so bad it too ages to clear up with that, tough Norwegian formula is a bit more expensive (£4 a tube) my dry hands were gone after two days of using it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Agree with that. I use the same thing.

Norwegien Formula Hand Cream Concentrated and Unscented. Works a treat!

ReputationRep:
    This has been happening to me in the winter for the past few years, the cold makes my hands dry out and they go all cracked and flaky. I have to moisturise after I wash my hands otherwise they can get a bit sore with some redness. I always carry some hand cream around with me, it helps a lot

ReputationRep:
    A similar thing happened to me. I went to the doctor and they gave me some diprobase(?) which took care of it in a week or so. It restores the layer of oil on the surface of your skin to slow water loss.

ReputationRep:
    The doctor prescribed me 'Hydrous Ointment BP/Aqueous cream BP' but he said that I could also buy it at places like boots or a pharmacy cheaply. It fixed the back of my hands which were cracked to the extent that they were practically bleeding and raw. The skin is now soft and elastic.

ReputationRep:
    I get this from time to time. I think it's predominantly to do with the weather but soaps can aggravate the skin so it's worth seeing if you get on better with particular brands. E45 even do a special soap-free cleanser for very dry skin / eczema http://www.e45.co.uk/our-products/ad...nt-wash-cream/

Generally I just avoid excessively harsh conditions (wear gloves for washing up etc.) and use a moisturiser. I use this one from Atrixo and it's great http://www.boots.com/en/Atrixo-Regen...-100ml_870466/ It is thick and absorbs completely so you don't have to worry about having greasy hands.

ReputationRep:
    Like others have said - nothing does it like the humble Vaseline.

I've tried using Garnier and Jergens but at the end of the day my hands go back to looking like ash. The irony is these lotions supposedly "keeps your skin hydrated for up to 7 days". *******s

Vaseline works for me

ReputationRep:
    I use Norwegian formula too - put plenty on before bed each night and after a few days my hands are loads better!

ReputationRep:
    Well, I have plenty of suggestions to attempt.

Sleeping in gloves full of cream will probably take a little getting used to (and if anyone finds out, Of Mice and Men jokes are sure to abound), but it sounds like a good idea. I'll have to give it a go at some point.

Thanks everyone ^^

ReputationRep:
    I know it seems a silly question, but... are you wearing gloves when you go out? In cold weather your hands, like your lips can dry because of the cold. because we all have central heating, we seem to have forgotton that gloves are essential in cold weather.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CRIKEY12)
    I know it seems a silly question, but... are you wearing gloves when you go out? In cold weather your hands, like your lips can dry because of the cold. because we all have central heating, we seem to have forgotton that gloves are essential in cold weather.
    I always have a pair of gloves in my coat pocket, and put them on if it's cold. People laugh at me for it, but it doesn't stop me

Although they're wool, which may be worse than cotton or synthetic materials in terms of drying out hands? I dunno.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 9, 2013
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.