Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I was wondering if someone could give me some advice. I have recently completed my LPC and I have a fair amount of work experience. I have worked in a few firms doing short placements and also worked in the Citizens Advice Bureau for a year.

I haven't really had any luck with training contract or paralegal applications apart from a few interviews. One firm which is local to me has said they would like me to do work experience for them but they will not pay me and will CONSIDER me for a paralegal role after 6 months. They also want me to do 5 days a week, luckily I can fit my part time job around this as it is flexible. But I just feel like I'm in a dilemma because I feel as if there is no other way apart from sticking it out in a firm and not having a guarantee at the end of it, at the same time I feel fed up of doing voluntary work as it feels never ending.

I don't want to give up especially after completing my LPC but I just wonder how much work experience do you need to get some kind of a legal role! its just so competitive and can be disheartening at times.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hashim jb)
    Hi, I was wondering if someone could give me some advice. I have recently completed my LPC and I have a fair amount of work experience. I have worked in a few firms doing short placements and also worked in the Citizens Advice Bureau for a year.

I haven't really had any luck with training contract or paralegal applications apart from a few interviews. One firm which is local to me has said they would like me to do work experience for them but they will not pay me and will CONSIDER me for a paralegal role after 6 months. They also want me to do 5 days a week, luckily I can fit my part time job around this as it is flexible. But I just feel like I'm in a dilemma because I feel as if there is no other way apart from sticking it out in a firm and not having a guarantee at the end of it, at the same time I feel fed up of doing voluntary work as it feels never ending.

I don't want to give up especially after completing my LPC but I just wonder how much work experience do you need to get some kind of a legal role! its just so competitive and can be disheartening at times.
    I suppose it depends upon your A Level results, degree classification, and classification of your LPC, as well as what university you went to and your work experience and EC's etc. It's like one whole package, it's no good have a 1st in your degree and no work experience kind of thing.

I am getting quite worried about working in Law now. I'm about to commence my degree at Birkbeck, UofL. And then do the LPC once I've secured a TC... but it is seeming to get harder and harder each year, and I'm worrying now as all I hear is people saying how they cannot get TC's or any kind of work etc.

ReputationRep:
    Hey just came across your post... where did you do your LPC?

Also, I think take the opportunity but KEEP applying everywhere. It's pretty good that they are offering you some direct work experience so keep that in mind. But if it's 6 months and only MAYBE an offer... I would keep my options open. But that's just my thoughts =) so in conclusion - do it but look elsewhere

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.