Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone, I'm new on here (so don't be hard on me ^^ ).

First off, don't blam my English level, I'm a European student (from France) and I've been living in UK for less than one year.
    I'm currently taking a course, Software Engieneering, at University of Westminster. As an European student I receive financial support (student loan) from the government.

My problem is that I wish to move to Wales, because I can get more financial support by doing so. It would oblige myself to change University, however I want to keep my current course because it suit me perfectly.

I want to know what is the procedure to follow to still receive financial support while studying in Wales. I tried to look on the specifics website but I didn't find anything to my situation. I could phone student finance, but I'm not sure to be good enough in English to perfectly hold a conversation on such a complicated subject.

Hoping for your answers to come soon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shadox)
    Hi everyone, I'm new on here (so don't be hard on me ^^ ).

First off, don't blam my English level, I'm a European student (from France) and I've been living in UK for less than one year.
    I'm currently taking a course, Software Engieneering, at University of Westminster. As an European student I receive financial support (student loan) from the government.

My problem is that I wish to move to Wales, because I can get more financial support by doing so. It would oblige myself to change University, however I want to keep my current course because it suit me perfectly.

I want to know what is the procedure to follow to still receive financial support while studying in Wales. I tried to look on the specifics website but I didn't find anything to my situation. I could phone student finance, but I'm not sure to be good enough in English to perfectly hold a conversation on such a complicated subject.

Hoping for your answers to come soon.
    Sorry I can't really help, but was just wondering why you'll get more financial support if you move to Wales? Where does your financial support come from?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    What kind of extra finance are you expecting? As far as I can make out, you'll still only qualify for Tuition Fee Loans, even if you moved to Wales and studied in Wales.

EU students: what type of finance could you qualify for?

What types of financial help are available?

Depending on your circumstances, you may qualify for:
    •help with tuition fees
    •help with tuition fees and ‘additional help’ – for example, living costs
    The "additional help" has very strict qualifying criteria:

Some EU nationals may also qualify for additional help, but usually only if all of the following apply:
    •you’re an EU national, or the family member of someone who is
    •you’ve lived in the UK for three years or more before you start your course
    •you’ll be living in the UK on the first day of the academic year in which you start your course
    •usually your main reason for living in the UK was not to receive full-time education
    You fail on the second and fourth points.

http://www.studentfinancewales.co.uk..._schema=PORTAL

ReputationRep:
    Thank you all for your answers. The kind of extra finance I expect are for living cost (flat and food). Thank you very much Klix88 your answer was really helpful. Well, I know that the kind of sentences "I have been told" are not likely to be taken seriously into account, but I'm pretty sure other EU students came to Wales and got more support than I get. Is there really any way I can get any extra finance without wait until I've been living here for three years ? If finance coming from England are independent from finance coming from Wales, even if the rules are the same everywhere within the UK, is there possible that moving from a country to another make eligible for some finance I may not get by staying here ?
    I guess the answer is no, and I'm a bit disappointed, but really thank you for your answers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shadox)
    Is there really any way I can get any extra finance without wait until I've been living here for three years ?
    Short answer is no. The three years residency is key. Even after three years here you'd still not meet the criteria, as the only reason you came to the UK was for education. You need to have come here for some other reason such as moving for work, or immigrating with your family.

You need to track down some of the EU students you've heard about, and find out how they managed to get extra funding.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.